• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Basil was considering closing the BCF ???

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I wanted this topic to appear on the Austin Healey forum as this is the forum I always read and only by accident did I read the post saying that you were thinking of closing BCF.
..... After reading your recent post explaining that you were getting frustrated about certain aspects of your vision of this web site that never materialized, I thought that I should say somehing in the way of encouragement !
... I spend almost all day in front of computer screens doing my job. The LAST thing I am inclined to do is spend time in front of my laptop at home unless it is absolutely necessary, ( to buy something or to look up some information). This is how I stumbled across YOUR forum. I was trying to locate specifc technical information when I started the process of putting back together the AH3000 that my dad had given to me. I found the exact technical information that I needed by reading an old topic on the AH forum, plus a link to a site that I went to for a diagram of the discussion. This impressed me so much that I was able to find this kind of info on the web, that I started to read ALL of the old topics. This took me quite a while doing a little at time as my schedule would permit. As I was working
on the AH, I would remember that what I was doing was talked about in one of the old topics on the forum. I would go back and try to find it again, read it again and this process helped greatly while I was working on the AH...
Other web sites have some information, but YOUR web site is
THE web site to read if a person is involved with these cars as I and the rest of the members are. I read your forum 1st and then last. I don't " do "forums and chat rooms on the web with the only exception being your forum. Your vision of having a technical warehouse of LBC information has been realized more that you know ! ... more ...

OP
Ed_K

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
.... continued from last post...
It is the knowledge and experience of the MEMBERS of this forum that make this THE place for technical information. A technical reference library is good, but not on the same level as YOUR web site. This is why I chose to join this forum. I thought so highly of what was going on here in the way of information exchange that I thought that I should be willing to " Give " as well as " Receive "..... Good Job !!!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Ed. As you probably know by now, I have taken some time to reflect on things and decided (with lots of help from posts like this) that, even if its not exactly what I had envisioned in every respect, it is moving in the right direction from the perspective of the people who use it, which I guess in the end is really what matters.

Cheers,
Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
P-L-E-A-E-S don't close the BCF. I don't know what your vision of the forum was, but I find it to be one of the best sites/forums on the web. I also don't know what you get out of it except probably a lot of work and maybe some satisfaction but whatever it takes to keep it on be it advertising or a subscription fee, Git-R-Done.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't know your vision either, but yesterday I was at a car show and told everybody about this site. There were a lot of questions about where to get parts, what to get and how to deal with problems. I told them (all MG people, of course) to come here where they can learn something. This is a great place, and I thank you for your efforts.

when im done with my days work i sometimes feel im not home until i turn on my comp. and go to our site.its very comforting,kinda like petting your dog or cat,and having your blood pressure drop by doing so.ive looked over many other 'car'sites but this one is the only one ive ever joined,why id never gotten into a forum about anything befor i found this site,not that im antisocial,but other sites had no substance for me.you can learn something from anyone and this site is proof of that,all gentle souls willing to share,loseing this site would take a good snip out of the enjoyment of our hobby,honestly id feel very bad.--besides where else could i harangue,and pester keoke????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
"Your vision of having a technical warehouse of LBC information has been realized more that you know !"

I concur! The fact that it's in a conversational style adds a community spirit. A wealth of information...great folks.
Thank-you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Basil - Remember the scene in "2001" when the astronaut’s lifeline is cut and he sails away into the dark and lonely void of outer space? Well that's how I would feel if you closed the BCF.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Basil - Remember the scene in "2001" when the astronaut’s lifeline is cut and he sails away into the dark and lonely void of outer space? Well that's how I would feel if you closed the BCF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you win! That has to be the best "why not to close BCF" line yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...even if its not exactly what I had envisioned in every respect, it is moving in the right direction from the perspective of the people who use it, which I guess in the end is really what matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basil,

Indeed it does seem to well serve those who use it, and that's a lot of people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

But I'm curious and so please tell me (us), how does it differ from what you had envisioned? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for not, and hopefully never closing this wonderful website!!!!!!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
But I'm curious and so please tell me (us), how does it differ from what you had envisioned? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to explain, but I try Here

Basil

Country flag
Basil:

The forum offers a collective expertise unmatched anywhere else.

As for technical information nothing else could have helped me in may quandry earlier in replacing my Healey's sills.

One "factory original" I saw mounted them one way on the outrigger- another equally but later "original" mounted them differently. What to do? The forum provided the answer that no manual I've ever seen addressed. Quickly, easily and very positively.

Its a great technical resource- just look at the regular stream of enquiries put to the forum, and usually answered quickly and authoritatively.

Its unique.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I remember talking to a mechanic and telling him about BCF. He told me that he never got involved with sites like this, because it was always a one way street; he was helping others and there was nothing in it for him. I started laughing, and he looked at me. I said, "don't be a fool. Nobody there needs your help. There are plenty of people there already who can tell dopes like me how to field strip my car and put it back together blind folded. You'd just be another voice in the crowd." I'm certainly no judge of mechanical qualifications, but as I learn (slowly) how to do the things I need to keep my BJ8 happy, and get the encouragement I need to even try, I can't think of a better place to do it or a better crowd to have around me.

Scott

Scott