• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Considering a TF

DocDup1

Country flag
I have been thinking about adding a TF to my garage and I would like to learn a bit more before I bother a potential seller. I currently have a TR4A with overdrive and I love the car. I realize that the TF will be a different experience. My question is whether I can drive a TF at freeway speeds. I am not talking about long trips, just short drives. I have owned MGB's and an early Healy 100-4, but nothing in the T series MG's. I did look at a TD about a year ago and the owner went to great lengths to talk me out of buying it. He said that the TD is pretty much a 55mph car all out. Before I had a chance to look at other cars, I found my TR4A and stopped the search. now that the TR4A is done, I find that I still love the idea of a TF. Any advice from the group? Thanks, Doc

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Just my opinion, but if you are worried about motorway/freeway speeds, I would not advise a t type for you.
I feel that T types are meant for back road cruising.

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
Thanks for the input. I would not make a habit out of freeway driving. My concern is whether a TF is capable of keeping up with traffic for a short trip. I have a few vintage British motorcycles, so I am pretty good at avoiding main roads.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, my TF1500 will cruise at 70 mph with its 4.1 rear and HighGear 5-speed transmission. It'll go faster but I don't drive it above 70! I usually run it in 4th gear but on the freeway, I'll put it in 5th at times. I love my TF and it's very comfortable to drive. Ok, my 72 MGB was more comfortable but less fun to drive. PJ
TF 8353.jpg
Our 72  MGB.jpg

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have a 34,49 and 63. Would not be bothered about the B, as it has overdrive and was designed for greater speeds.
I have restored quite a few and am not happy driving at extended high speeds in stock configuration.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
As Paul say, diff changes, gearbox, disc brake conversion, wheel and tire change, etc. Then what do you have??

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
Thanks

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've done mods on cars to make them more daily usable. My Morris Minor is a good example: larger engine (1275 vs original 1098 though same basic block), front disc brakes, 5-speed conversion with hydraulic clutch. My Bugeye have very similar upgrades. I love them both, but they're certainly not stock. That work takes cash and effort, and may not be to your liking. I'm glad I have done the work on my cars, but not everyone will find that to their taste. In contrast, my MGB is essentially stock and there's a real advantage to that.

I admit, if I fit in a T-series MG I'd probably have one and do similar mods to what Paul's done. Luckily for my wallet I just don't fit in them.

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
One more quick question. The TF that I am looking at has the small round reflectors on the rear just outboard of the top of the gas tank. In looking at pictures, I don't see those on most cars. Were they original to a 55? Thanks.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
One more quick question. The TF that I am looking at has the small round reflectors on the rear just outboard of the top of the gas tank. In looking at pictures, I don't see those on most cars. Were they original to a 55? Thanks.
Yep.

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
Thanks

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think you should consider my BUGEYE.
It has a 1275 engine and a Datsun 5 speed tranny and a 3.9 rear end.
It is a great car on or off the freeway.
Bill

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
Thanks for the offer. I have expanded my search to include other cars, but I had a Sprite a few years ago and I am looking for fresh adventures. Something that I have never owned before.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
How 'bout something like ...

1967_morris_minor_img_1873-6-55616.jpg

Sexy - no.
Fun to drive and work on - definitely yes!

Tom M.
(no financial interest)

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
I do like those. The latest car that I am looking at seriously is a 67 MGB GT. I have always had a soft spot for the GT's and I found a series I car that is in like new condition. Now to negotiate the deal.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
An MGA is a lot more capable as a highway car - have done hundreds of miles at 80+ mph in them, but if you have to have the vintage upright styling, the TF is as good as it gets short of buying a Morgan (which might suit you with your TR experience).

Of course if you fitted a tuned MGB engine and OD trans to the TF you'd get there too, but the traditionalists might burn you at the stake!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
An MGA is a lot more capable as a highway car - have done hundreds of miles at 80+ mph in them, but if you have to have the vintage upright styling, the TF is as good as it gets short of buying a Morgan (which might suit you with your TR experience).

Of course if you fitted a tuned MGB engine and OD trans to the TF you'd get there too, but the traditionalists might burn you at the stake!
Right! Or find someone willing to let go of their Victor...

mickey_tf_vic.jpg

Scroll down to post #10 here for more info on them:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
MGB GT is a great car, and I can also heartily recommend a Morris Minor.

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
Well the TF deal was a bust, so I concentrated on the 67 GT. Today it all worked out and I bought that car. It is a bit of a project, but it seems to have very good bones. It has recently been restored from the ground up. The good news is that the first 90% of the work was done to a very high level. The paint and body are excellent. the engine and gearbox are both fresh rebuilds. The wiring is all new and the interior is 95% new. The bad news is that the previous owner had to sell the car on fairly short notice and he left a few items undone. The car runs and drives like new, but there are a few cosmetic issues to deal with and the heater core is missing. Thanks to all who offered advice so far, I do appreciate all of the help.

Rich