• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Considering a '66 Midget

Strapping_Lad

Hi all, My name is Rusty. new to the forum but not to MGs. I sold my 71 BGT about 6 months ago after driving it everyday for 3 years and I really miss having a British car in my life. I am a regular member over on the mgbexperience but the spridget forum isn't very active.

Any who... I like this 66 in San Diego up on ebay right now. I would greatly appriciate your opinions, thoughts, and concerns about the car.

'66 Ebay Spridget

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Hey Rusty.
perfect name for someone who likes British Cars.

Looks like a good daily driver to have fun with, leave it the way it is now and just enjoy it

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
His 3K BIN is optomistic considering the rust, the gauges and this:
"She drinks a lot of water, primarily due to the overflow tube at the radiator cap letting it escape after she warms up"

Overflow tube? More like head gasket. Unless there is a crack at that tube. Maybe ask him some questions about the overflow tube sitch.

The temp gauge is broke. Replacements are available new. It's common to see them like that, mine was that way. But why would the oil pressure not work? It's mechanical. The fuel gauge not working could mean a leaking float or electrical problems.

Looks OK, though. A good project car that can be driven.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Front bumper looks like it took a good hit, while it was on that car? I'd certainly want to look that one over pretty good before buying. Good year, good color, wire wheels, that's all good though.

Jake42

Freshman Member
Country flag
I would suspect that modern looking rad cap for the water coming out the overflow tube. Down flow rads take a deep cap. My local NAPA had the correct deep cap in stock, listed for an Austin.

Country flag
There is a forum member here that has a Midget for sale that is in very good condition, and it has a much desirable and expensive 5-speed conversion installed. It would make a great daily driver. His user name is BAZ. It would require driving from springfield IL, but road trips are great. Not sure how firm he is on his price either.

Country flag
Baz's Red Midget

2618996251_70e71aca5d.jpg

2619989538_1d6a866e4f.jpg

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Rusty,

If the prices are anywhere near the same I think you should get the red one. It has a 1275, round wheel arches, 5-speed, and it looks pretty well sorted out. You lose out on what is probably one the best looking dashboards with the '66 but the green one you were looking at has a pretty rough interior anyhow.

Like I said over at the MGE, I'd pass on the green car.

Country flag
I think there is a stark difference in the price, but to put the green one up to the red one's spec would cost much more than the difference.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
mightymidget said:
Hey Rusty.
perfect name for someone who likes British Cars...

:lol: FUNNY!

Especially if he has a dog named "Spot", or a son named "Drip"! :jester:

Car looks OK. I'd be a bit concerned about the water use issue, ensure it isn't something engine related. & look over the rest of the car (esp underneath, floors, sills, spring mounts, etc) for more rust. Maybe you can get it for a lower price than the BIN?

For your reference/comparison, look at this Midget in Ventura that sold last week for $6900.00:
72 Midget
LOTS of good solid Midgets in CA & AZ.
Prices are generally lower than an equivalent car would cost in the north-east.
Simply a case of supply & demand...

(BTW: I think Baz was asking approx $6K for his...)

-Bear- :cheers:

Whats up Rusty, good to see you over here. Spridgets don't quite have the resale value of tier bigger brothers, so you may find your money will go further, and a good 1275 midget will dust a MGB on curvey road, the little cars reve fast, the 1275 is great motor, if I wasn't a big man I have one on the street as well.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Shouldn't be a problem to tell whether the water use is a head gasket or not. Even if it is, it's not a big deal to fix it. Might be nice to have a compression test, if possible, so you have some idea what's going on with the engine.

The price looks reasonable to me, especially since you could probably get it for less than the buy-it-now. I think you could do a lot of restoration work for not much money, too.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rusty,

This fairly original, unmolested, low mileage 63 cost me $5000 8 months ago. I talked down from $7500, then hesitated for a while on the price, but personally think I got a great buy. I have spent quite a bit of voluntary money on things for it, but the only thing I have had to buy to keep it running so far is an intake/exhaust gasket. They are out there.

Attachments

• 15885.jpg
    15885.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 107