• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye grill question

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, I know I'm the only person who can really answer this, but I do want your expert advice! I have 2 Bugeye grills and one is a little better than the other, but both need to be rechromed. Would you send the worst of the 2 off to be rechromed, or the best? Attached is a picture of the best one and I'm not sure the small bubbles will show up.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 92

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut,

better grille to start with will equal better end results. Looks like both have some small dents to fix. I have a NOS grille that came with Bugsy II that is perfect except for a quarter sizes spot where the chrome peeled off and it is rusted. I'll be curious as to price to get re chromed. A.H. Spares was quoting two grades of grilles, one was like $165 pounds a few weeks ago vs. $500 one of the usual suppliers was asking. Please let me know what you get quoted for rechroming and dent fixing. It just might be cheaper to buy new.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Thanks, I'm using Knox Chrome in Knoxville and the basic quote is $200, a little more for 'show quality'. He had a Bugeye grill in house when I spoke with him earlier today. I've seen examples of his work and it's very good!
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut,

Does that include fixing dents?

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Yes it does. I sent pictures to Knox and followed up with a phone call to discuss and was very satisfied. Jim Donaldson is the person I spoke with and he was very good at explaining the process. I believe Ray Evans had the Chrome for Whitefrog done there.
Rut
https://www.knoxcustomchrome.com

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I think I just may be packing up my grille to send off to get replated. Thanks Rut.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I hope Ray chimes in to give us his thoughts, he definitely has an eye for quality workmanship.
Rut

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Both of those grills look better than mine! I'm going to be in the same boat as you this spring when I'm ready to send mine off. I'll be curious to see what they say about fixing those small dents caused by the attachment pins on the backside being pulled too tight. I've tried massaging those out myself, but have had no real success. I wonder how much they can fill to recreate that rounded bead? does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket grills available right now? I've heard the pressing lacks the small rolled edge that the originals had, and that they look sorta cheap and "flat" as a result. It'd be great if you could report back to us the results of the re-chroming!
thanks
mark

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So that's what causes those dents. I could not figure that one out. Pins too tight. Mine has never been on a car, just rusted sitting in a box a quarter sized place where the chrome evidently had some sort of contamination on the base metal.

nomad

Yoda
Any more I would always vote for redoing original rather than replacing. Too much of the parts being sold now are not up to snuff. If it were me I think I would have both grill's replated while I was at it. A spare or one to sell on flea-bay.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Coming back to the original question - I would get the worst one fixed. Either will require dents fixed so that is irrelevant. So, if you get the worst one fixed you are left with a better spare to sell forward or even use if something should happen to the original, or even to hang on the wall.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Wow, 3 opinions I value! Best, worst, both...since I'm smack dab on the fence with this I may just have both done and put the best on my Bugeye and sell the other. That said, my wife is going to kill me when I do, but I'm still alive as I write this. Must sleep on this.
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut

we'll do our collective best to keep you out of the dog house.

RickB

Yoda
Think mine all filled dents and painted would cost more?
There are no holes in it at least!

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick,
you can send them a picture and follow up with a phone call, but I think the price they gave me should be pretty accurate.
Rut

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Has anyone out there bought or seen one of the reproductions that are available? If Shawn Carlberg from MOSS is available, He may be able to provide info on the grill they sell.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mark,
I've seen one repro grill, but it don't know where it came from. It lacked what little detail these grill come with, but my 2 grills are different as well. One has a nice edge/lip around the top and the other not so much.
Rut

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Mark,
I've seen one repro grill, but it don't know where it came from. It lacked what little detail these grill come with, but my 2 grills are different as well. One has a nice edge/lip around the top and the other not so much.
Rut
thanks Rut. I just PM'd Shawn C at MOSS to see if he has any insight as well.
Mark