• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alignment questing after suspension work

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here is what I did. Replaced both wishbones, both swivel pins, both fulcrums and both springs rated 340 lbs per inch. these springs are an inch shorter.
When I put every thing on the axle was in the straight down the road position. After I was done. I had sever toe in on right side and not so sever on the left side. I did some steering check and got the rack about in the middle. Straight ahead. I then made the adjustment on the tie rod ends to remove the toe in. It took all most of the adjustments to get the wheel facing straight down the road. It is close to 4 turns from falling out of the tie rods.
Any ideas on how safe this is or is there a tie rod that is longer?
Or did I do something wrong. It all looks the same as before.
Thanks
Sim

G

Did you have the wheel centered in the rack before you put anything on? How is your camber, did you flip the upper part accidentally? Nial or someone else will be along shortly.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I do not think I fleped anything.
I was trying to do this with the wheels hanging. i think they need to be resting on the ground. As this would make things closer to the steering rack.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wheel alignment with wheels on the ground. I made some cheap swivels with four cheap steel plates from the hardware store. Put some grease between each pair of plates, and put one pair under each wheel -- this way the wheels will move easily.

Used the "string method" (do a Google search if you're not familiar) to set up the reference points. Make sure the rack is centered and adjust the tie rod ends to the correct amount of toe in for each side.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Wheel alignment with wheels on the ground. I made some cheap swivels with four cheap steel plates from the hardware store. Put some grease between each pair of plates, and put one pair under each wheel -- this way the wheels will move easily.

Used the "string method" (do a Google search if you're not familiar) to set up the reference points. Make sure the rack is centered and adjust the tie rod ends to the correct amount of toe in for each side.
Ok Thanks What is the minimum distance the tie rod needs to be in ball joint?

G

Ok Thanks What is the minimum distance the tie rod needs to be in ball joint?

Unless something is bent, screwed up or put together improperly everything should fall in line with the steering wheel centered in the rack. If you have to ask what the min is that means whatever you have going on now isn't right.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Unless something is bent, screwed up or put together improperly everything should fall in line with the steering wheel centered in the rack. If you have to ask what the min is that means whatever you have going on now isn't right.
LefR2.jpgLef2.jpg Have a look I think i did this right. All the parts are new or in good working order. Once I get it on the ground I should have at least 1/2 inch in the joint arm.

Attachments

• LefR.jpg
    LefR.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 67
OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
View attachment 32933View attachment 32934 Have a look I think i did this right. All the parts are new or in good working order. Once I get it on the ground I should have at least 1/2 inch in the joint arm. The nut on the tie rod is where they were before the work.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
I can not see it clearly but I wonder if your trunnion is installed backwards, a common mistake. Compare to pix below.
167pafa.jpg
CotterPin.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If trunion is on correctly about 15 1/2 threads should be showing and that is alignment starting point. If wheels are at odd angles when put back together, trunion is on backwards. BTDT. We all have.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The front tires look so weird when the trunnions are install on the wrong side.....at least I only did it once!
Scott in CA

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The front tires look so weird when the trunnions are install on the wrong side.....at least I only did it once!
Scott in CA
ya way too much camber. Will work on it today and let you know
Thanks for all the help

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If your tires look like this \ / you've got trunion on backwards.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
confusing decisions. Talked to Peter today about the new 340 lb springs and stander dampers. he did not like the idea of harder springs. Other opinions would help. So now I am thinking of going back to standard springs. Yes or no? I did test drive it yesterday and it felt like the front end was on butter. I readjusted the toe in and tested again tonight. Still the same. I also found out that it is not tracking straight down the road. It is left by 2 inches or so. I think this is causing the butter feel. There is a camber issue plum line on right side about 16th of an inch Left side about 3/8 inch. Could this be causing the bad track?
Have a look at this short movie. Seems like standard dampers are not a problem.
Suggestion are needed
Thanks
sim

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rid, how many threads are showing on your tie rod ends on each side. From the inside 15 1/2 threads should be showing.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Are your steering arms also reversed?
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rod I would go back to standard springs and no lowering kit if one got installed and use that as a baseline. You reused the steering arms that came with the car correct? Rut I can 't remember if steering arms are handed. I don't think so. As long as there is a match between BE Rack and BE steering arms. Racks changed to Trimph Rack in '72.

Rod I still thing you've got camber settings leaning the wrong way. Should be 1/16" negative camber and 15 threads showing usually gets you there. Try that and see how it feels then. Did you replace shocks with a set of Peter C's?