• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7 Chrome Door Waist Trim - Alignment help

BG 62AH

Country flag
Guys,

I am in the process of replacing the chrome door waist trim on my BJ7. Of course this is a roll up window car.

I am in the process of restoring the car. When the car came to me, this chrome trim, that holds the weather stripping for the roll up windows was in very poor condition. It had been cut up and improperly attached back on the car.

I want to put it back on the right way. Can anyone give me some background or a picture on how these trim items were held onto the door. I see the clips on the inside of the weather strip, but the don't seem adequate to hold the trim in place properly.

I am also having some fitment issues to get them to line up properly with the chrome finisher end piece that is located on the top of the rear quarter panel.

I truly appreciate any support on this, thank you.

Bill

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bill, the trim piece is entirely a press fitment. It essentially hooks on the front under the vent window, and a more substantial channel slides over the opposite end of the door. It is a tight fit that would require a few taps of a mallet. No screws. The alignment of the additional finisher would likely be dependent upon the alignment of the door in the opening.

Attachments

• Trim attachment front.jpg
    Trim attachment front.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Trim attachment rear.jpg
    Trim attachment rear.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 121
OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
I appreciate all of your advice on this. It just seems that the clips are a little weak for the application. That chrome trim has a clip for using the tonneau, which I do like to use. Thank you for your help.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am also having some fitment issues to get them to line up properly with the chrome finisher end piece that is located on the top of the rear quarter panel.

Silly question but does the door and the wing/shroud line up properly?

:cheers:

Bob

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Bob,

Without the trim pieces installed, the top of the door and the top of the shroud line up decently. But both trim pieces are taller than the edges that they mount onto. The door is easy, but the finisher sits crooked on the shroud side because it is screwed in and sits under the chrome trim ring around the rear seating area.

I can't cut them because they are made of plated steel and the edges will rust if I alter them.

Any ideas?

I appreciate any advice.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Silly question but does the door and the wing/shroud line up properly?

Bob
I also had fittment problems but on the right side of my BJ8. During accelleration the car torques to the right(I'm told this bu an expert) and this can cause alignment problems over the years. To verify my problem I took many many photos of both Right and left sides of these areas and the right side definitely was more out of whack than the left side and as a matter of fact the left side was usually "perfect" in the gap. Maybe the left side was made to more exacting specs?? I actually had to have my body shop take my door chrome piece and cut it(shorten the length to get the needed gap between the small chrome piece on the rear and the chrome piece on the door. My left door was actually 1/4" shorter in length than the right door. Maybe at one time back in the mid '70's when I had it stripped and painted the body shop that did the work made good fit of the door gaps. The car at that time had been in 2 wrecks and the frame was twisted(I didn't know this when I bought it), but I had a Jule frame done and got everything back to being straighter than when it was new. Go figure!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have just had a quick look at mine.

The tops of the chrome line up, but the finisher on the shroud is a bit shorter, possibly to miss the chrome strip on the wing. When I was playing with mine, I thought that there was a small screw on the inside at the front end of the door, sadly no photos.

There is a screw at the front end of the finisher on the shroud and I think one on the top under the chrome surround to the rear of the cockpit.

Where are your exactly are your problems with alignment - looking down on plan or level as the side view?

Bob

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Thanks for all of your help on this, I spent the evening last night bending a tapping things into place. It is not perfect but looks pretty decent after all. I had remove the drip rail for the soft top, it made it easy to tweak the edges of the Alum. shroud.

I appreciate every ones advice.

Bill