• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Check strap alignment

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I am still working on checking how all the pieces are fitting together. Doors seem to be fitting well even with the skin set on the frame . I just received a set of NOS check straps and are nice parts. Now I have discovered that the check strap when mounted in the door frame do not line up with the bracket in the A post. The check strap bracket relation to the hinge mounting cage nuts on the A post has not changed. I have no way of knowing if these doors are original to my car so that might be the problem. I tried to bend the check strap slightly and the A post bracket and got it so I could put a bolt in the bracket and it stops it from opening too far but I can not close the door with out the check strap binding up. The mis alignment looks to be 3/16"(same on both doors). I have studied it and looks to me the best solution is to move the holes in the door frame so that everything lines up correctly. Any thoughts are welcome. Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I think moving the door location would be the easiest...still a pain though. It's interesting, as I don't remember that ever being an issue. Does the door line up otherwise?

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi John, Yes the door lines up just fine . The radius at the A post matches and the crease for lack of a better term above the door handle matches up with the B post. It looks like moving the check strap mounting holes in the door frame will solve the problem. I mounted the check strap below the A post bracket and the door works properly. Frank
check strap mis alignment.jpg

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I decided to go for it and see if it works.
move mounting holes 3-16%22.jpg
This is a reminder which way to move the holes.

sorry no pictures of these steps but I think you will get the idea. I filled and re drilled the top hole with the bottom hole as the reference, Then added a bead of weld metal to the bottom edge of the center hole because it is very close to the mounting hole and would be difficult to weld after the mounting hole was moved with out melting into the new mounting hole. Then fill the bottom hole and re drill using the top hole for the reference.
passenger door strap mount repaired.jpg
Check strap lines up great now. Some one might notice that the screws are not centered but I am going to say it adds character to the car and live with it. Sure I considered cutting out the entire recessed area and moving it up but chances of warping up the door frame were too great and about 1/4 the work to do it the way I did. Clean up the center hole tonight and fix the other side tomorrow. Really glad I could do this repair before the door skin goes on. One step at a time, Baby steps lately. Frank

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's really strange can't work out why they didn't align, a good fix though Frank.

Graham

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you Graham, if it was only one side it would concern me more but since it was both sides and I feel doors may be from different car. Only thing I can come up with. Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Nobody will ever notice. That's one of those area you have to get down and strain to see once the car is built!

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have gotten over the disappointments when I encounter these road bumps with a chuckle, fix it and move on. Frank

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you John, always welcome your encouragement. My car has come a long way but still a long way to go. Hope I am faster at body work than fixing rusted panels.Hopefully it will speed up once I am thru figuring out what is missing or needs repair and focus on making it look pretty. Frank

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Both doors are repaired and I am very pleased with how the repair turned out and especially happy with the function of the check strap, smooth with no binding, easy to feel when it locks in the full open position, and easy to close from the locked position. Thank you all for your comments, it really helps. Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Very good attention to detail! That could have been a disaster if you didn't find the problem until after painting. I'm not sure I would have thought to check the alignment of the strap!