• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

front end alignment

mmgwhite

Country flag
I would like to adjust toe-in/out on my front tires. Right is way toe-ed out compared to the left.
Is there a how-to posted anywhere?
I can't find information in my manuals about what/where to adjust.
Thanks in advance
Mat

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mat:

In section L of your Austin Healey 100/3000 Shop manual Fig 1 shows the cross rod used to set toe in. if y0u look carefully at that fig you will note there is a nut just behind the cross tube connector . Disconnecting the cross tube by releasing it's nut allows you to shorten or lengthen the cross tube by screwing the fitting in or out.. these fittings are located at each end of the cross tube.

This is discussed in section K.7 of the manual.

OP
M

mmgwhite

Country flag
Thank you. Very helpful.
So, far, unable to budge the lock nut on either end. One of which is LH the other RH threads. Haven't figured out which is which yet.
Got em soaking in Kroil.
May just take off the Ball end set on both sides and remove the whole thing such that I can get at it.
Is that a viable option?
Thanks
Mat

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would like to adjust toe-in/out on my front tires. Right is way toe-ed out compared to the left.
Is there a how-to posted anywhere?
I can't find information in my manuals about what/where to adjust.
Thanks in advance
Mat

Mat, have you actually had the toe-in checked? If you are running radial tires, 0 deg. works best for me. The original spec is for 1/8" toe-in, but that's for the original bias-ply tires which have a higher rolling resistance than radials do.
A visual inspection of toe-in for a BJ8 can be misleading. When looked at head-on, the left and right front tires do not appear to be set at the same toe-in when they actually are.
Are you seeing abnormal wear on the front tires?

Country flag
Thank you. Very helpful.
So, far, unable to budge the lock nut on either end. One of which is LH the other RH threads. Haven't figured out which is which yet.
Got em soaking in Kroil.
May just take off the Ball end set on both sides and remove the whole thing such that I can get at it.
Is that a viable option?
Thanks
Mat
I found one that the threads didn't want to unscrew too; took a little more than soaking it to free this one up. Even with HALF the threads cut away, it was still holding on quite tight!

I guess I should've known I was going to be in for a time with it...

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Both sides were milled off, and it still took an 18" pipe wrench to take the rod-end off.

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is that a viable option?
Thanks
Mat

OH! Sure that's a good way to go.

But it is a down right shame that fella Randy didn't have no Kroil.
Works a treat in the Netherlands otta work great in Alaska too--:highly_amused:

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Mat, have you actually had the toe-in checked? If you are running radial tires, 0 deg. works best for me. The original spec is for 1/8" toe-in, but that's for the original bias-ply tires which have a higher rolling resistance than radials do.
A visual inspection of toe-in for a BJ8 can be misleading. When looked at head-on, the left and right front tires do not appear to be set at the same toe-in when they actually are.
Are you seeing abnormal wear on the front tires?

In addition to what Steve says, you cannot change the toe on one wheel without changing the other. The toe is set by turning the center tube connecting the rod ends. turning it moves both wheels in the opposite direction to create toe-in or toe-out (or neutral). You cannot move one wheel while the other remains steady. Furthermore, you have to roll the car forward to set the suspension to check the toe. Also, it must be on the ground, not jacked up.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In addition to what Steve says, you cannot change the toe on one wheel without changing the other. The toe is set by turning the center tube connecting the rod ends. turning it moves both wheels in the opposite direction to create toe-in or toe-out (or neutral). You cannot move one wheel while the other remains steady. Furthermore, you have to roll the car forward to set the suspension to check the toe. Also, it must be on the ground, not jacked up.

Well be careful now:

There were some after market side rods that are adjustable?

Country flag
Is that a viable option?
Thanks
Mat

OH! Sure that's a good way to go.

But it is a down right shame that fella Randy didn't have no Kroil.
Works a treat in the Netherlands otta work great in Alaska too--:highly_amused:
I always have some on the shelf, but it was no match for that rod end.

For the record: I always try the easy stuff first!

Sure, I get paid by the hour, but I stay booked up at least three (>3) months out all year 'round, so no need to drag my feet on any one car to keep the bills paid ;)

OP
M

mmgwhite

Country flag
Thanks to all
Got the darned thing off. Had to use a gear puller on the right hand side to get the ball end to drop off. Lo and behold, it was bent!
Thus the weird toe-out and shimmy I suppose.
And, I was wondering about re-set of toe in. I have radials so will go to zero. Hope I get the cross bar on right the first time so that they line up with each
other. Any other tips on re-assembly?
Mat

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Any other tips on re-assembly?

YEP Mat:

Be sure N put a lot of Coppa-Slip on all those threads and joints so they won't hang up anymore.---:encouragement:

Country flag
Zero toe-in makes for lively steering__tried it once just prior to an autocross up in Shreveport, Louisiana (I drove there from Lafayette, LA). A tiny bit of toe-in, 1/32 to 1/16" inch (or somewhere between 0 & 1/8") will load the front suspension just that little bit to aid straightline stability.

With the toe set at zero__and true zero being hard to get repetitive results__the load on the steering will oscillate between toe-in/toe-out and make for a weary drive. Given the play in the Healey's suspension and steering components, you'd be hard pressed to get the same readings when checked after each of five successive trips around the block anyway.

If you do opt for zero, you'll want to make every effort to eliminate as much free play as possible in the steering box__quite literally, opening another can of worms (and peg...;) )

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy:

I use Zero toe in too on my BJ8 but I load the car about 250 Lbs before I set it. It then goes slightly neg
loaded up to travel.