• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaking master cylinder

rabjohns

Freshman Member
Well I woke the healey up from the cold Chicago winter. Jumped in and the clutch went thunk to the floor. A look in the resevoir revealed an empty hole. My local mechanic filled it with Dot 3 and told me that I had a very minor leak hardly worth fixing.

Question: Does this seem right to you? And if I do need to fix it how much do you think it should cost? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

David.

BEEJAY7

Jedi Warrior
Hi David

Are you talking about the combined brake/clutch storage reservoir, or does your car have individual reservoirs for clutch and brake?.

If it is combined I would get it fixed asap. The last thing you want is to lose all brake fluid!.

There really shouldn't be any leaks from the hydraulic systems. I suggest you get a second opinion.

Cheers and good luck

savewave.gif
england.gif
savewave.gif

[ 04-20-2003: Message edited by: BEEJAY7 ]</p>

canuck

Country flag
Coincidentally, I have just got my '67 BJ8 out of storage, driven it for a couple of days, and then same think, clutch to the floor. Filled the reservoir, which was low, and tried again...no joy. I am told by a fellow '67 BJ8 owner that the master cylinder goes regularly, especially after winter storage, but otherwise for no apparent reason. This, as anyone up here knows, was an especially cold winter, lots of -30 C. days, often in a row.
Did your clutch return to normal when refilled with fluid?
Can anyone else offer any help on this to arm me for the upcoming chat with the mechanic?

Canuck,
'67 BJ8

OP
R

rabjohns

Freshman Member
Thanks for the thoughts. Yes the resevoirs are seperate and the outer (brake) on is still full (relief).

On filling the resevoir the clutch did work and we were able to bleed the system. Since then I have taken a long run and everything seems fine. It must be a very slow leak as the resevoir is still full.

Cheers

David.

Blonde Healey Girl

Country flag
Be sure to check under the dash above the pedals for leakage. You can see where the rods push on each master. They love to leak down the firewall and sneak into your carpet. If you do find any fluid it may quit with usage as the seals swell (Highly unlikely). Probably can get away with just rebuilding one or both. just remember if it is leaking, it's eating paint somewhere(floorboard/sills/firewall)Also, clean cardboard under the car is a fun way to attempt to locate leaks. Fill the can, let the car sit overnight and look on the cardboard as well as the inside of each tire (for little trail of fluid running down).Cardboard will show if the clutch slave and/or hose on the right side of the tranny is leaking.

canuck

Country flag
Thanks Blonde Healey Girl...now I know not to let it sit but get it into the shop ASAP, and to make sure no fluid stays anywhere it can eat paint.
Too bad, weather was just getting nice enough to start regular driving...hope it's not a big bill.

Canuck

Pete Haburt

While doing a clutch replacement, I noticed the flex hose to the slave cylinder was wet with fluid, and it was not motor oil. Sure enough, after carefully monitoring this hose, it is seeping out the crimped end, and there is a slight bubble.There is a leak from the inner casing to between inner/outer casing of the hose. This hose is only 5 years old. Just recieved the new replacement from Moss today. I use silicone fluid.
Pete H
NEOAHC

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Not a good idea to keep running with a dodgy fluid reservoir, all major problems have been mentioned but when the clutch system finally goes, for what ever reason, you could be miles from any where, that's Murphy's Law. My slave cylinder rubbers failed, and here is a tip worth noting, you can start up the car in gear, I used first because I did not have to far to travel, but it may be possible in second or other gears. It is not a practice to be recomended as a repeat process but if you are in a tight spot a one off should not hurt.

Bob
cheers.gif
england.gif

canuck

Country flag
It works in 3rd...little lugging but I drove all the way to the garage, including some tricky lights. Car stalls at every stop as it's under load but starts in gear as you move forward...not, as you say, a good practice!

My mechanic tells me I need a new master cylinder, whereas it was originally supposed to be a slave cylinder problem.

What would be the fun in driving something that works all the time?

Chris
'67 BJ8

Scooter

Jedi Hopeful
Hi all,

While my car(s) are in storage during the winter months, I regularly hop into the drivers seat and pump the brake and clutch pedals to keep the hydraulic seals from drying out. To help make the occasion even more enjoyable, I add my own loud engine sounds while doing so.

Scooter