• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 leaking carb TR6

Terry_M

Country flag
Good day
rebuilt my Stromburg carbs and i am getting severe leaking from #1 front carb--i have taken it off ,re verified the floats 17mm,reinstalled the old valve no change -- anyone help, please !
Terry M

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Where is it leaking from...the plug on the bottom of the float chamber, the choke housing, the mouth of the carb or out of a port or nipple ?

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Pool Boy
It was leaking from the bottom of float chamber I have swapped the float chamber from a old set. I sourced a new O-ring for the plug (11.4 ) It seems to have stopped for now Not sure where the problem started,the o-ring from the kit ,or i damaged it during installation
Terry

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Good day
still wrestling with TR6 carbs--now i have for the numerous time, set the needles incorrectly ,excessive flooding and spark plug fowling---where exactly is full open and full closed- Where do i start full closed or full open
Terry

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
What are you asking about when you say "open" and "closed" ?

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Hello
if i turn the needles with the adjustment tool clockwise it enriches the mixture ,if i turn the adjustment tool counter clock wise it leans the mixture Assuming i have the adjustments completely out of whack . Where exactly should i start my adjustments
Terry

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I always start in the middle.
Turn the adjuster as much as you can clockwise, then go counterclockwise 1 1/4 turns.
Hopefully you haven't already gone too far in the ccw direction and unscrewed the needle carrier from the needle adjuster.

If your CW turns exceed 3 and you are still able to turn CW, that's what's already happened...
BUT, regarding the leak ...the mixture even at it's richest will not cause the gas to leak out of the carb.

dklawson

Yoda
You have not replaced the fuel pump with something electric have you? SUs and Strombers will not operate properly when the pressure is much higher than 3 PSI.

In addition to what you have looked at so far, consider removing the carb floats and placing them in a cup of gasoline. Both pontoons need to float. If either one sinks below the surface of the gas then you need to replace the float as it will never shut off the float valve regardless of the height adjustment.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
That might work OK. What I do is submerge and rotate the floats in at least a foot of water and look for air bubbles.

dklawson

Yoda
Water is good and a lot easier to deal with. I discovered a sunken float on the GT6 when I dropped one in a quart container of gas I had collected when making sure the electric pump was working properly. It was pretty obvious that one of the two pontoons was perforated when the float sank on one side. Thankfully, I had a spare set of carbs to rob parts from. These were early Strombergs that use a different (NLA) float than the ones later carbs use.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Not particularly..You will probably need to push the needle upward into firm contact with the adjuster at the same time you are turning the adjuster clockwise.
Unless you have someone to either push the needle or use the adjuster you'll probably do better removing the air valve.
That way all you have to deal with is the needle and the allen wrench, not the barrel of the adjuster and the allen wrench, which itself requires 2 hands.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Ok both are unscrewed ,need start again,to-morrow----i am almost positive the floats are set within tolerance,the original fuel pump is still working ,pressure should not be a issue--I will keep you all posted ---i do appreciate the input
Terry

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I may have asked this already, but did you replace the float chamber needle valves with Grose Jets ?

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
I rebuilt the both carbs from Walker kits (acquired from a from a dealer of British car parts etc) and used the Jets which were supplied--i have since returned to the original jets- This evening I tried to reattach the adjusters i have a stop on CW none at CCW. To-morrow will try to set the choke cables to work in unison

terry

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Good morning
i have the car running ,not super great but running--So far i have rebuilt both carbs ,changed all gas lines and filters from just in front of the fuel pump (spilled fresh gas all about the floor of the attached garage ,setting off the gas detector in the house ,that's another story ) I have ordered a new unisyn rig to help me balance the carbs (mine suffered unrepairable damage, another story) I am closer now than i have been for a while ,patience and help with this form is the key--

regards
terry

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You'd be better off using the technique illustrated in a lot of the manuals than using a Unisyn.. A hose to your ear comparing the 'hissss'.
I use a cheap stethoscope, unplug the amplifier off the end and place the open end of the tube in the mouth of the carb using this hole as a reference point for listening.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Unisyn is a wretched device for a tall fat guy ,scrunched over a wee TR6 ,you can understand unrepairable damage Manuals are good ,although sometimes i find the info hard to digest ,hands on, Also the Brits have a different method of describing, method and equipment Takes a while to get on to the lingo