• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Leaking Fuel Pump Sediment Bowl

hit_n_miss

Country flag
Folks, My fuel pump is leaking at the top of the sediment bowl. I've installed a new cork gasket and gauze filter. I think the problem is insufficient pressure being applied by the star nut on the support bail.

The bail that supports the fuel pump sediment bowl (Part 23) appears to have a spacer that fits between the star nut and the bottom of the sediment bowl. It looks like it might be ~5/8” diameter with a through hole for the screw that the star nut runs up.
https://www.revingtontr.com/CatalogueImages/TR2/E.jpg

My bail is missing this piece (see attached). The result is that the star nut doesn’t apply enough pressure to the sediment bowl to seat it against the cork gasket (Part 25).
Can anyone confirm my suspicion regarding a missing spacer and supply the diameter, height, and material for that spacer? Thanks.

Arnie

Attachments

• FP Bail.jpg
    FP Bail.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 89

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
You are definitely missing a part. It is basically a pressed sheet metal cup. If no one posts dimensions before I get home, I think I have one on the shelf I can photograph/measure.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Darrell will probably send some sizes for you. But if it were my garage I would look under the car. You might just find the missing cup there.

OP
H

hit_n_miss

Country flag
Darrell will probably send some sizes for you. But if it were my garage I would look under the car. You might just find the missing cup there.

Phil, I had the same thought and found a beat-up flat fiber disc ~1/8" thick that the PO had apparently used. It just balanced on the star nut when it was at the end of its travel. I'm going to make a better replacement. Thanks for the suggestion.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
In addition to the missing bit, I have known bowls to leak because someone over-tightened the bale and caused the cast top to bow a bit. I was able to hammer it back to level and it sealed okay. It does not require a lot of force to seal the top of the bowl, especially if you are using a thick 'rubber' washer.

If you can't find the missing part on the floor... pmail me with your address and I'll send you one.

OP
H

hit_n_miss

Country flag
Geo, Thanks so much for sending me that spare spacer. It arrived yesterday and will be fitted shortly. Arnie

In addition to the missing bit, I have known bowls to leak because someone over-tightened the bale and caused the cast top to bow a bit. I was able to hammer it back to level and it sealed okay. It does not require a lot of force to seal the top of the bowl, especially if you are using a thick 'rubber' washer.

If you can't find the missing part on the floor... pmail me with your address and I'll send you one.