• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

USELESS PASSENGER SIDE BULLIT MIRROR FIX

machinemd

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
After a couple years of cheap stick-on convex plastic mirrors, today I found the perfect fix. My less-than-favorite Wallymart sells a stick on 3 3/4" mirror made by Hot Spots for $1.50. When I took it out of its plastic mount, with just a little careful effort, I found that it was glass. By pressing in on the bullit mirror glass it goes in 1/4" and the white ring can be removed and then the glass and spring. The new convex glass is the exact same diameter. Stretch the spring out about 1/8", slip it back in with its plastic cap, slip in the new mirror, slip in the white ring, and in that 5 minutes it's a done deal
Steve

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Good Idea.
The mirrors on my TR6 are 4" diameter. I used the same 3 3/4" stick on, but had to stick it on the flat glass of the mirror. I tried to center it. It doesn't look as nice as i would like, but it is functional.

G

You missed out on a business opp - you could have sold them on at $5 each
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

The convex stick-on is a good idea for the smaller bullet mirror, but not that good a fit for the larger one, as stated above. There is no convex mirror stick-on for the larger mirror anywhere on the face of the earth. I noticed a photo of a Belgian TR6 that had dual winged mirrors that I thought attractive. A little research (ok, a lot of research) found that these mirrors were used in the Euro and UK version of the TR6. They don't even put bullet mirrors on over there. Those are all put on by the US dealers and the right one is totally useless. I found the winged mirror at Moss UK and after two orders and one very long distance phone call, finally got a pair. I love them. I think besides being totally unique over here, the right one works great. They are made by TEX in the UK. You might still can get them from Moss UK or by ordering directly from TEX (Google search will find them). It is so nice being able to see what I just passed up.
mirror.jpg

Bill

OP
M

machinemd

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Bill,
I think it was another forum where someone got a passenger mirror off of a pickup at a junkyard, and took it to a glassman who recut it for his mirror. If your mirror can be removed similar to the bullet door mirrors,it could work.
Steve

Gwilhelm

[ QUOTE ]
They are made by TEX in the UK. You might still can get them from Moss UK or by ordering directly from TEX (Google search will find them). It is so nice being able to see what I just passed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

TEX makes nice polished stainless steel mirrors. I bought 2 sets of bullets from a guy on ebay who exclusively sold TEX mirrors . I think he is gone now, but a TEX search on ebay showed a few. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MarkT

Bill,

VERY nice mirrors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You don't by any chance remember the Moss UK part number? I had a look - they have something that looks like this, but it doesn't mention TEX and has a different base mount. The only TEX mirror they seem to have is of a different design, the same one that you can get on ebay.

Cheers,
Mark

G

Hey Mark,
Check out texautomotive.com for the Viewmaster Springback mirror. Tex is a British company that makes all your LBC mirrors and wipers. Nice quality. The old MossUK website was quite good but I can't find it anymore, seems they've changed it up a bit. You may have to write or text Tex (say that one twice, fast) for info on where you can buy them.
Yes, the mirrors are great. They installed right over the site of the previous bullet mirrors, had to drill new holes but wasn't a problem. I didn't realize but they offer the Viewmaster in flat or convex, which would have been great for the "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" side. They are also spring-base mounted for the occasional jerk that may want to knock your mirrors. They were often put on the TR6 for the European market, and were factory installed (methinks). They, IMHO, also fit the look of the TR6 so much better than the silly little bullet mirrors. TRF was supposed to handle them but they for some reason decided not to. I am the only TR6 that I have ever run across that sports them, have seen pics of many, many overseas that have them. Tons of rearviewing and look good, what else would you want.

Bill

G

Bill, thank you so much for this - I'll be in the UK middle of next week. Guess what I'm buying while I'm there.

I just sent them an email to get pricing/stockists. If anyone is interested in the #s let me know and I'll post the reply when it comes.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Bill, thank you so much for this - I'll be in the UK middle of next week. Guess what I'm buying while I'm there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan, I've heard of people like myself making expensive overseas calls to Britain to locate a hard-to-find part, but actually going there is a bit extravagant, don't you think? Oh, wait, you're from there, aren't you. You had better be careful what you offer on the forum, you may have a ton of people taking you up on it.
Hey, that's a thought. Why not have the BritishCarForum set up a tour of the UK for it's members. You can be our tour guide and we can all stay at Piman's house. I could handle sitting in a little English pub, quaffing a few and eating pork pie, or fish and chips and talking LBC talk. Better yet, Basil and the other forum moderators can be our chaperones. Any takers???

Bill

G

Well then you'll need to use somewhere like here for the car first of all:
https://www.caledonianclassics.co.uk/triumph_TR6.htm
https://www.classic-touring.co.uk/triumph-tr6-1973.html

After that then you get to the itinerary:
imo:
Whitby for Fish and Chips
Devon for the pub (and a cream tea).
I can give you a few ideas for other stuff to do too between the two...

Oh and Bill, just to rub it in the trip is work related - I'm not even paying for the flight

MarkT

Bill - great link!

Alan - Devon cream tea over Cornish cream tea?? Hmm....not so sure about that - it's got to be Rhodda's every time or nothing (although that is extremely hard to source in Texas). But we don't want to start that old rivalry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Plymouth Gin mind you... If you could post their pricing or stockists when you hear back from them, that would be fantastic.

Cheers,
Mark

G

I happen to like Cornish cream teas. There used to be a place in Trevaunance that did fabulous ones. Sadly it closed a few years back.

I said Devon, because I know a couple of good pubs there...

MarkT

Aye, that entire area is full of great pubs in out-of-the-way tiny villages. One of the things I miss, definitely....

G

Mirror Source - as promised

Email response from TEX follows:

MB321F = £25.98 each +VAT
MB323C = £27.98 each +VAT

We are able to supply you the items above via two options. You can order from our customers, who are based just outside of London...

Moss Europe
Hampton Farm Industrial Estate
West Hanworth
Middlesex
TW13 6DB

Tel: 0208 867 2000
Email: sjames@moss-europe.co.uk

Or as an alternative, we can deliver the parts to your hotel. If you can provide the address and the date of when you will be visiting London.

The carriage is calculated from the overall weight of the package.
Best regards

Simon Hawley
TEX Automotive Ltd

Unless they changed it VAT is 17.5%. Not charged for exports if you can be bothered to fill out the paperwork and stand on line when you leave the country (and I never can to save $10).

MarkT

Re: Mirror Source - as promised

Alan,

Fantastic! Thanks for posting their reply. VAT in the UK is indeed still 17.5%. Maybe I'll get in contact with Moss Europe and get a pair ordered....although I found out saturday afternoon that the front passenger side mount on my rear diff. is cracked/broken, so my priorities have changed somewhat....

Cheers,
Mark

G

This might be even more use to you. The part #s I looked at were MB321 and MB323. They look about right...

Attachments

• 220320-USADistributors.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 64
G

mine just arrived. I spent the last 1/2 hour assembling one at my desk.

They almost make sitting on the runway for 2 hours at jfk Wednesday night worthwhile - almost but not completely...

Looking forward to getting back to the US to put them on.

MarkT

Excellent. Do they come with the mounting gaskets? I'm still waiting to hear back from Moss Europe.

Have a safe trip back.

Mark

G

Fitting kit has a plastic part that looks like its intended to be the gasket. I think it acts as an expanding sealer when the screw goes in

You could try Tex direct. I've been dealing with this guy:
"Simon Hawley" <simon@texautomotive.com>