• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is there room under the passenger seat....

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Not a ton of room there, but there is a fair amount of room behind the passenger side dash (above the passenger's knee area).

bugimike

Yoda
I agree with Nial!! There is virtually no room under the seats in Spridgets! If you can make springs out of moustraps ( /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif ), you can certainly fabricate the brackets to mount a CD unit there!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

RickB

Yoda
Is there a 12vdc unit that simply amps up the input from an mp3 player & outputs to speakers?

It's easy to find radios that have inputs and also flash card slots, but they also have radios. I'm thinking more of an amplifier with an aux input and speaker outputs.

My pocket PC can handle all the controls and be the source.
Also anyone who gets in with their own mp3 player could connect it up.

I don't really want to go the whole CarPC route, takes up too much room & I already have enough computers to maintain.
Although, it is a great platform for GPS.
No, PPC does that too - don't need a CarPC.

(ok, it would be fun having a CarPC and I have all the stuff except a small lcd screen but I don't really 'need' a CarPC now do I?) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Go with the dash or trunk (using a remote). I am adding a radio with an iPod jack , which will also accept XM. Didn't have radio for 3 years - not so sure how important or used it will get.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
If I was going to get a new radio, I would get one with the new HD tuner that picks up more channels with CD quality and its off air wich means free. I mounted the cd changer in the trunk. If you want you can get an adapter that plugs an mp3 right into inputs of an amp.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I really don't want to add any new speakers to mine - other than the existing radio console. I also plan to listen to the exhaust a lot. That being said, I'm wondering if I could use a small "combination" speaker (6X9 / tweeters built in - or whatever) a switch, a very small amp, and an ipod jack. In the glove compartment, I'm imagining the plug, the amp and a switch between "radio to speakers" and "amp to speakers." To my mind it would be very unobtrusive, easily reversable and easy to fabricate. Those are pluses enough to somewhat compromise sound quality

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I made a new panel for the back and put 6 X 9 speakers in it, but I had problems finding where to put front speakers and have them sound good without butchering a hole in some sheet metal. Finally, I made some corner speaker boxes for up inside the footwells. They can almost not be seen but they seem to sound decent and I covered them with vinyl with 6.5 inch round speakers. None of this is expensive, I ordered a cheap amp from ebay for 40 bucks to drive it all.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Back speakers should be no prob. Fronts might be able to be mounted inside of door panel (then again, your knee rest there and I value that space much more than music).

Maybe under the dash with fabed mounting brackets? Or jsut live with 2 'rear' speakers.

George

bugimike

Yoda
With all the noises inherrent in a Spridget, is it really cost-effective to go the "quality sound" route?

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I been trying to quiet the inherent noises Mike. If te noise is too bad,you know its possible to record that noise and then reorde music with it and then reverse the speaker leads and it will cancel out on the road.