• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Faltering at high RPM and under load demand

Gatheringtree

Gold
Country flag
This issue has been addressed before on Jul 8, 2017 and Jan 16, 2023. I am renewing the query because the symptoms on my 1960 Triumph TR3 were not gradual, but sudden. Here is a chronology before the problem started, what I have done so far; and what I plan to do now.

I bought the car sight-unseen a few weeks ago and it drove beautifully. I drove it several times.

Just before the problem started:
I changed out both master cylinders that were leaking fluid.
I filled up with gas at a station (that later my mechanic told me has sold bad gas before).
I drove to a nearby town and it started faltering, just a little on the way.
On the way back it faltered so badly, carburetors backfired? It came to a halt.
It seemed like it was starving for gas. Frantic pumping of the pedal seemed to help but ultimately to no avail.
Upon inspection at home I found that one of the master cylinder lines I moved during installation had caught the lever under the pump (primer lever?)) and was partially opening it. I fixed that, but was driving with it in that way. I may have damaged the mechanical pump.
I saw that one of the SU carb dampers on top and was open to air. (it may have happened during a carb backfire under pressure?)
I changed a dirty transparent fuel filter between the pump and carbs.

The car starts up cold and it runs pretty good... until it warms up and then falters out.

Yesterday:
I took it to the mechanic who always "checks fire before gas." He found the points were nearly closed all the way. He gapped them at 0.15 and changed the Bosch platinum plugs to new NGK plugs gapped at .025. The car instantly started and drove. Problem seemed to be solved. It started on first click of the button and idled perfectly. But on the way home, it started to slowly falter again when I reached higher RPMs or the engine was under load (going up hills). It got progressively worse, just like before. I barely made it up the hill to my home.

When I got home I, checked the points, and they are still gapped perfectly at 0.015 fully opened.
I rechecked the new NGK plugs for soiling (under rich fuel conditions). They were still clean and properly gapped.
I refill the tubes on the carburetor with oil where the damper goes and came loose. It only needed a little.
I used 20 weight and filled to 6mm from the top.
I checked both carbs with with an airflow meter and made only minor adjustments to equalize.
I waited to drive it until morning because it was raining.

Today:
The TR3 drove great after morning start up. But after it warmed up, it floundered again. I barely made it to the mechanic shop at high RPMs so the engine would not shut off.
My mechanic and I emptied the gas tank, put in a new fuel line from tank to mechanical pump. We then installed an electric pump preceded by an inline filter.
The carbs get plenty of gas now. But it was the gas I originally bought just before this whole problem started.
The engine still falters badly.
We discovered that a gentle pull on the wire from the coil to the distributor came loose and came right out. We repaired the existing wire that as best as we could.
The engine faltered badly.
We re-set set timing to advanced 4 deg. It was only slightly off. It did not make it work any better,

Tonight I ordered a Pertronix Flame Thrower D176600 electronic distributor. A Pertronix 40,000 volt 3.0 ohm coil, and Pertronix 8mm flame thrower spark plug wires. They arrive tomorrow and I plan on installing them tomorrow when they arrive. I will also put new gas.

I hope this fixes the problem. It has been towed three times since this began.
Was it bad fire or and issue with no gas pressure? It would seem that it was both. That's weird, since it happened at the same time.

Last edited:

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Probably not bad gas. It almost never happens straight out of the pump despite the frequency with which you hear the complaint. Bad gas is bad gas. It does not run any better on start up than it does an hour later. Probably not fuel at all. Several on this forum like pertronix. I have no experience with it, but note many sad stories told by others on this forum. These cars run and have run well for years on good regular coil/points/condenser ignition. I would replace the coil and condenser with standard parts and try again.
Bob

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Was it bad fire or gas? It would seem that it was both. That's weird, since it happened at the same time.
[/QUOTE]
My best guess is a bad coil. If you were just trying to solve this problem I would say to change the coil and condensor. But the electronic system does not use a condensor.
Once a bad coil gets warm it starts missing. Also when car is under load it tends to cause a miss.
Unfortunately when you change out several items at one time and you get a positive result, you never know which item cured the problem.
Charley

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have had a pertronix for many trouble free years so can’t really comment on condenser problems but i have had a bad coil and your symptoms describe my problem very closely. Maybe swap them out at discrete intervals so you can isolate the faulty component and once that is replaced you can keep the rest as spares…

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
These cars run fine with the original ignition setup, so you should be able to get it running without replacing it. Installing something else means that you now have two variables to deal with, not one. I'm also not a big fan of the Pertronix, although I am in favor of electronic ignition systems in general.

The ignition capacitors are notorious for failing. That would be my first concern. The coil is the second. Is the coil overheating? It can get warm but should not get very hot.

You can get a simple, cheap spark tester at your local auto store. You can connect it when the car misbehaves, and it will tell you if the plugs are firing. That will confirm that the problem is ignition, not fuel.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Well, it's clear that it's April 1. I wonder if the forced misspellings are just for today, or if they will be permanent?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve do you have a recommded way the check the spark while at high rpm maybe better than 60 mph?

Happy April 1st.
Charley

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Country flag
Thank you new friends of British Car Forum. I understand those who stick with the original ignition system. And, why others have opted for the Pertronix. Since my first experience in this car was a sudden closure of points that left me stranded, I opted for the newer technology. I am not going to make a u-turn now. There were good take-away points from all points of view.

I received all the Pertonix parts today. What is confusing is that my battery negative is hooked up to the frame - hence I take it this is a negative ground system. However, the wire from the positive fuse box was connected to the original Lucas coil on the negative terminal. The wire from the positive terminal on the coil was connected to the distributor. The seems wrong. The insert on the Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil shows the opposite, and I am going with that for now.

Also, someone let me know how to discontinue the misspelled word feature in this thread.
E65A8655-8E9F-4A80-BD9C-A6EB326B626F.jpeg

Last edited:

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Negative ground conversion is common on these cars.

Yes, connect the coil as shown in the figures you posted. If you are using the old coil, and it doesn't have a ballast resistor, you won't need one with the Pertronix. If everything works, the problem almost certainly was the capacitor. If not, it's most likely to be the coil.

To answer Charlie's question--if I had a problem at high speed, I'd put an oscilloscope on the (-) terminal of the coil. But most people don't have that option, so next best would be an ignition test light. I don't know if you would see a problem in that case, but the things are cheap ($6-7) and it's worth a try.

Looks like the misspelling trick has been removed. It was a good April 1 prank.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You may want to do a search on petronix. You will find there are at least double the threads with petronix issues than points. In a points car you can always get it to work enough to get you home...even after the "big one" drops. With electronics, that is not always the case.

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Country flag
Mission accomplished. This Triumph TR3A runs sweeter than ever. The engine literally hums on the highway at 70mph or the city at start & stop speeds.... No faltering, no floundering at all RPMs, and great compression. An amazing difference.

For those interested:
Items added:
* Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor Model D176600 on Amazon for $174.99
* Pertronix 40511 Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm Coil on Amazon for $49.00.
With a new 12gauge wire from the car's ignition to the new coil.
* Pertronix 804412 Flame Thrower Red 8mm Spark Plug Wire on Amazon for $48.99
* NGK BPR6ES plugs (I would have preferred the BP6ES for the extra voltage because I do not need a resistor and do not want a radio. But they were not in stock and I did not want to wait). I kept the plugs gapped at 0.025 and did not have to add an extra 0.005 to 0.007.
* Solid State Electric Fuel Pump by Facet, Part# 377-420 on Moss Motors for $109.99. This was placed between the fuel tank and the original mechanical pump. Preceded by a fuel filter between the tank and electric pump. I set it on a neoprene rubber base to make the clicking noise very negligible.
* New rubber gas line from the tank replacing all the old lines.
0BD5BFF0-A790-4204-B48D-CBA202E2AF43.jpeg
510E2AC8-4B18-4EF1-9B7C-D02FDB97A9F2.jpeg

New toy:
* An Innova digital timing light that sets the advance to 4deg and it also registers the RPMs on the display; at CarQuest for $104. Very easy to use. With the display set to 4 deg, just turn the distributor and bring the pully mark to the pointer. No guesswork.

I did not want to make a u-turn from the decision to go electronic; nevertheless, I did not turn a deaf ear to the advice. I will keep the distributor, get a replacement coil, condenser, cap & wires. I will keep them in a small box. The tools needed for switching back to the point system are simple, and consist of a 7/16" wrench, a flathead screw driver, and a 0.015 feeler for the points. Finding TDC using the finger over the plug hole was easy. Now that I know how to exchange distributors, if there is a next time, it will be a cakewalk. I could do it on the side of the road.

Thanks again people for all your input.