• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Poor fit door and glas to top on passenger side.

DallasIII

Freshman Member
Poor fit door and glas to top on passenger side.

How . much adjustment is possible with doors and glass to top.? the passenger side door is down about 1/2 in. where it meets the rear door jam and the glass when up is out 1 1/2 in at the rear (you can put two fingers between the top and the glass edge) and slants back 1 1/2 in overlaping the top at the rear top edge of the glass.Are shims a possible fix ? This is a 66 BJ8 Blk with tan interior.I am told the sheet metal does not appear to have been reworked anywhere on the body.
Any advice on the door would be appreciated or should I just take same to a good body shop ?
tks,

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Poor fit door and glas to top on passenger side.

should I just take same to a good body shop ?
tks,
NO avoid body shops

Look for a restoration shop in the area preferably a Healey type.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

DallasIII said:
How . much adjustment is possible with doors and glass to top.? the passenger side door is down about 1/2 in. where it meets the rear door jam and the glass when up is out 1 1/2 in at the rear (you can put two fingers between the top and the glass edge) and slants back 1 1/2 in overlaping the top at the rear top edge of the glass.Are shims a possible fix ? This is a 66 BJ8 Blk with tan interior.I am told the sheet metal does not appear to have been reworked anywhere on the body.
Any advice on the door would be appreciated or should I just take same to a good body shop ?
tks,
Can you post a photo?

OP
D

DallasIII

Freshman Member

Keoke:
I just recalled a pvt shop that did an 67 XKE Roadster for me when no other shop could put the hood fender combo in line. All the really good metal people are retiring. I am in Spfd MO closest full time restoration shop is KC. MO.
closest AH I think is Iowa. I still cannot get over how much Moss cost me by sending the wrong rotor . I could have had it going at home. Thus PU by flat bed $90, shop charges close to $300.00 ect. Oh well not a perfect world.
Best

Dallas

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

DallasIII said:
tks,

Hello Dallas,
If you're a hands on guy, you can fix everything.

The doors are adjusted by putting shims under the hinges. You may only need a shim under one hinge or multiple shims under both hinges. Trial and effort and you find the right combination.

The glass is adjustable too. It will move forward, back, the angle and slant can be changed too. Height adjustment is made my the stop lever at the window regulator (picture 2). Angling the glass in or out is done by adding some spacers at the bottom of the front window track (picture 3). The rear window track has movement side to side in the edge of the door too.

If after all adjustments to the glass are made and it still does not line up with the top, then you need to look into the top frame/wood/aluminum rails for adjustment.

I'd start with the door hinges, then take the door panel off and make adjustments in there.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 30005.jpg
    30005.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 30006.jpg
    30006.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 30007.jpg
    30007.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 203
OP
D

DallasIII

Freshman Member

Hi ASHMULY

Thank you very much for the reply and pictures this is very helpful. Sorry to be so long in reply as I have been down for a few days.I am not sure if I have the time , space and skill to do this myself.It is like a ball of string the more I look at the car and discover more problems. I may just send the car to Knut @ British Motors in Philly and get a quote for a full restoration frame up . It would be nice(while a little pricey) to have one at that level before I am too old to enjoy it.

Tks again

This is a great forum

Dallas

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag

Hello Dallas, since you live in Springfield you might ask Fred Anderson for help. He might even give you some suggestions as to where to take the car:
Fred Anderson, 4860 Roslyn, Springfield MO 65804, Tel: 417-883-8849, or email below.

Anderson, fred
E-mail Address(es):
fanderson@mchsi.com