• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

eBay Daimler SP250 in poor shape [many pics]

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
I'd never seen one in this condition and I found the body/paint condition especially interesting.

I believe it looks worse than it is.

Vehicle Description

Brighton Motorsports presents this rare and unique 1961 Daimler SP250 Convertible for sale. Daimler was founded in 1896 and claims to be the oldest British auto manufacturer. The Daimler SP250 was launched at the 1959 New York Motor Show as the “Dart”. The majority of the 2645 cars produced were sold in the American market. The SP250 has a fiberglass body, four wheel Girling disc brakes, and a 2.5 liter Hemi-head aluminum V8 designed by Edward Turner. Jaguar bought Daimler and continued production for three plus years. These cars were quite fast for their time and besides being wonderful sports cars they were often used by the English Police. These cars were finished much nicer than the typical MG and Triumph cars of the era, with Wilten Wool carpeting, many leather interior surfaces and more brightwork than most other marques. This car is a wonderful time capsule and is very complete. The previous owner bought the car in the mid 1970's and has resided with it in New Mexico and Arizona. The hood blew up on him which broke the windshield and he let the car set under a canopy in the Arizona dry heat for nearly twenty years. The motor does run but the car can't be driven due to the tires and brakes. We ran through the gears while on the lift and it shifted smoothly through all gears with no abnormal whine. While our owner had intended to restore this car for himself, he just bought another SP250 that is already restored. This car is being sold as is, but our shop can recommision this car to a driving status with very little work and is available to do so if the winning bidder so desires. We also offer full show ready restoration services. This car is rewarding, fun, rare and sure to go up in value in the coming years. Now is your chance to acquire one of these sports cars for a reasonable price and build it to your preferences.

Chassis # 100233 (VIN)

Body # 737-0309

Engine # 89402 (stamped into the front of the block just below the passenger side head)

7abf_3.jpg

7dd3_3.jpg

8a14_3.jpg

8dbf_3.jpg

80d2_3.jpg

83f5_3.jpg

90d8_3.jpg

94e1_3.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's a builder!! Just don't soda/media/sand blast it....

OP
spnx

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
Well, perhaps the chassis. I'm blasting and painting the chassis on my own car. Or rather, I'm paying someone to do it!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Chassis, sure...but not that fiberglass body!

OP
spnx

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
Ah, the body. I am not quite sure what to do to refinish the Dart's fibreglass. It's a good thing I'm getting someone else to do it :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't let them blast it! There's a coating on that body that blasting will remove & then you'll be down to the bare, rough fiberglass!

OP
spnx

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
Oh, I have every confidence that they'll do my car the right way. I think they're renewing the gelcoat (which is what you're referring to, right?)

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
And that is the renewal the red (sorta) one will have to have. For a bonnet flip that broke the windscreen there is a lack of the usual telltale crease that is added when the bonnet flexes across the top of the windscreen frame. Hmmmm

I like the fuel delivery system out of the water bottle. And it looks like the hose to/from the water pump is missing also. Hope they didn't run it very long. It is an A spec from the looks and the low production number; would be interesting to know the price & whether the car was upgraded to B spec at any time.

The SP I bought used in 1961 had that same lovely almost-orange interior. What were they thinking???

OP
spnx

spnx

Jedi Hopeful
OMG, did not notice the water bottle!

Good point about the lack of a crease - that doesn't quite add up.

The car's no longer for sale - I guess someone bought it and is restoring it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nice patina though - I particularly find the rebel flag on the trunk interesting - the south's gonna rise again - and hopefully the car too.