• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR 1949 Triumph Roadster on eBay.....wow

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Appears to be a remarkable example. Pricey, but one could easily spend that much and more if they were paying someone to do a restoration like this.

Possibly some liberties have been taken to make the work more attractive than original but the sort of events a car like this may end up in will probably not have an expert judging it.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I was looking at parts also and at the generator. Back in the day some people I knew were taking about a tr2 having a deal on the back of the generator to oil the rear bearing. I wonder if that is what I am seeing there. It looks like a tube sticking up probably a good idea because I find oiling that bearing a pain.

OP
S
Country flag
One thing I don't understand.....all that work to make everything perfect and they use a bungee cord to hold down the very ratty oil(?) can? And the crank handle is also ratty. Original and patina are out of place in this situation.

Mstanleyfl

I would think that the turn indicator in the steering wheel would not turn with the wheel. Fairly certain this was usual on Brit cars of this period.

Country flag
A lot of nice work done. i'm a big fan of Triumphs but these don't do any for me. Had an opportunity to buy one of these a few years back at a reasonable price but didn't. Haven't regretted yet.

Marv

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Let me be the judge.
I would not care to nit pick this but I could.
They did a nice job and lots of stuff looks original. The oilier on the generator is correct.
Personally, I hope he gets that kind of money and so do all of us that own them.
The turn signals were basic as the TR2 and 3. That little switch on the bottom of the center was bright and dim on the head lights. The outer head light was dipped by a mechanical solenoid. Only one light dipped. I had to reverse mine for the US roads.

Wayne

TomChar

Country flag
Beautiful car and certainly an over-the-top restoration. I have no idea what's correct or not, but I appreciate the guys dedication to the project, right up to the last paragraph where he describes those of us who don't spend 8 years and $125k as "broke-ass car guys". I'm sorry, but screw him. I like driving my car every day, and seeing the young kids at the school bus stops in the morning turn their heads as I pass by. Making our cars gorgeous yet unseen is no way to promote the hobby.

But yeah, absolutely gorgeous and thanks for sharing!!
Tom

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Old Tom is very proud of himself. I didn't read all the BS below and if I had I would give the SOB a WTF are you talking about.
So much he said is wrong and I will give all of those who wish to know some things that are.
The temperature gauge works like the TR2/3 with a ether filled tube to the gauge. It's location in the system is the same as 2/3 in the housing at the thermostat, not at the back of the head and electric.
The car is not all aluminum, the front fenders are steel and without bracing, crack about half way between the rear opening and the door.
FAST, who the **** has he been talking too, obviously, he has never driven this wonderful car. Car and Driver rated the top speed of a brand new one at 84 MPH, down hill with a tail wind. They have a 455 rear axle ratio. It will pull logs.
His rear lights are all red. These cars had reverse lights on a little sliver on the inside of those lights that was clear.
The tires were Avon as original, still available, my poor ass could afford them.
Sorry, I'm getting out of hand on this, just couldn't help myself.
The door panels were never two colors and dash was not some good awful plastic shine. Looks good on my XK8 but not on this car.
He better come and see mine to get a clue what original is. Oh, that color would have been a highly metallic paint.

Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I like driving my car every day, and seeing the young kids at the school bus stops in the morning turn their heads as I pass by...

I recall one automotive writer ratings cars' 'SBVF'. That's 'School Boy Viewing Factor' and our Triumphs certainly have it.

Yeah the guy's closing comments are pretty condescending and suggest he is someone I would want to avoid.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Seems strange that he is only asking $118,000.00 on the Buy It Now tab after spending $125,000.00 on restoration costs alone.

David

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The formula, purchase price + restoration cost = selling price, is badly flawed, IMO.
I would be surprised if, on a really good day, this car would go for half the asking.
A nice car otherwise.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...asking $118,000.00 ...after spending $125,000.00 on restoration...

That's how you make a small fortune restoring British cars.

Start with a large fortune.

Some people factor in the value of their own time when they calculate restoration costs. Not saying that is what he has done, just one possibility.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
..... FAST, who the **** has he been talking too, obviously, he has never driven this wonderful car. ......
Wayne

I got as far as when he mentioned it being fast, when I saw that it was clear to me that the guy was full of $#!+. I've driven a 2000 Roadster and I've driven fast cars, a 2000 Roadster is anything but fast. WTF indeed, so I decided to go back and read the whole bit.

Up front he states "painted in it's original green" then further down states "The color is a 1957-59 Reutter-bodied Porsche color called Auratium Green; which is almost an exact color match to the Triumph's factory green and is quite striking." It's either the original color, matched to the Triumph paint code or it's not. Given these things and the balance of what he stated, it looks decent enough, but the guy is still full of $#!+.

TomChar

Country flag
Well, maybe Reutter was so impressed with the green used by Triumph on the '49 2000 models, he copied his color from Triumph? Huh? Betcha you never thought of that!! ;)

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom, you may be right. LOL
As stated Triumph was one of the first production companies to paint with metallic paint. When I stripped the two I have done, the wet stripper was like a molten volcano swirling around. One was the green he is making reference too.
I did have a '47 1800, that was in poor condition and caught fire on the way home. Big story there, if you like old English ghost stories. Another time on that. Unfortunately was parted out to many happy customers. The founder of the The Roadster Club in England helped a lot, a Mr Bert Harold. Wonderful man, he helped me get this one here in 1973.

Wayne

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, maybe Reutter was so impressed with the green used by Triumph on the '49 2000 models, he copied his color from Triumph? Huh? Betcha you never thought of that!! ;)

It wouldn't be the first time that one company mimicked a "good" color used by someone else. It could even be the same color shared by different companies but using different paint codes. Let's look at Signal Red, Triumph color 32 for a moment. When I was repainting my TR6, I went to the paint shop and got enough Signal Red to do the cut in work since I knew that the main spraying was still some time out and I didn't want the paint just sitting around. When I went back to get the paint for the surface work, I was handed containers with a Chrysler paint code instead of Triumph color 32, saw that and said wait a minute here. So we looked at the PPG and Dupont mix charts and saw that this particular Triumph red and that Chrysler red were the same mix.

Getting back to the 2000, I did think that it looked rather good, the equal or better of any other 2000 that I've seen in person. However, when someone says that something is painted in it's original color but only references a color from someone other than Triumph on a Triumph,using this description"The color is a 1957-59 Reutter-bodied Porsche color called Auratium Green; which is almost an exact color match to the Triumph's factory green and is quite striking." If something is almost an exact color match, then it is not an exact color match. The guy was trying to talk out of both sides of his mouth on this. Then there was some of the other stuff stated, that told me that the guy was blowing a reasonable amount of smoke at everyone looking. I had to laugh at what Wayne said "Old Tom is very proud of himself. I didn't read all the BS below and if I had I would give the SOB a WTF are you talking about" and "FAST, who the **** has he been talking too, obviously, he has never driven this wonderful car. Car and Driver rated the top speed of a brand new one at 84 MPH, down hill with a tail wind." I've driven a couple of these and could not agree more with what Wayne said. Plus most of the other stuff Wayne pointed out matches up with what I recall about these cars and on the rest of what Wayne said, it's not that I doubt him, it's something that I just don't remember all of those details.