• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1949 Triumph

kurts

Freshman Member
I am new here on the forum. I have a 1949 Triumph TRA913L. I am evaluating on restoring into a driver. The frame is rusted off a the back end for the last foot. Wood is completely rotten and driver side floor and bottom sill are missing. The engine has been replaced with a TR2 or TR3? It appears to have been freshly rebuilt and turns over freely. Number on engine is CT21050E - Anyone know what year this is? Carburetor is a Stromberg 175CD - no tage on them. Is there a way to know model #? This will be my fourth car I am restoring but this one is in the worst condition.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Kurts. I believe an engine with the CT prefix was from the TR4 series. Strombergs, as well, though it could have been on one of the last TR3's, known over here as TR3B's.

Someone with numbering references at hand should be here to give more insight, but for the meantime, let's see some pictures of your TR!

:cheers:
Mickey

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Check here for more info.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Does this Triumph have a rumble seat (dicky seat) which unfolds from the trunk ? Does it have a window behind the driver's seat which rises out of a slot vertically to protect the passengers in the rear rumble seat ?

Then this car would be a 1949 Triumph Roadster. Does it look like this ?

https://www.familycar.com/Classics/Triumph2000/index.htm

The engine has a serial number from a TR4 or TR4A. This was common to replace the original engine with a later one.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
You're right, Mickey; that would be a TR4 engine, and I'd assume that whatever version of Stromberg 175CD was fitted to that engine when new is what you're looking at.

You might want to try contacting VTR's vehicle consultant for the Roadster series (list here) and also contact (or look into joining) the Triumph Roadster Club in the UK.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, Kurt, welcome to the asylum !

kurts said:
Number on engine is CT21050E - Anyone know what year this is?
That number would be a TR4 motor, built roughly 2nd quarter 1963.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Carburetor is a Stromberg 175CD - no tage on them. Is there a way to know model #? [/QUOTE]Most likely the C1825F/R that would have been original to that motor. However, I don't know any means of determining for sure, beyond having 2A needles and no paint mark on the air valve spring. And obviously those components may have been changed.

OP
K

kurts

Freshman Member
Yes the car has the rumble seat with windshield. It is a Roadster. I am good with cars but dumb on the computer - how do I upload a pic of the car? kurt

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi kurts,

I don't remember the exact year of this car but if it is what you have I have a few pics of it with the body off after the frame and drive line were restored. I am pretty sure it is a Wisconsin car. But it's location and owner might be found out if needed.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
kurts said:
Yes the car has the rumble seat with windshield. It is a Roadster. I am good with cars but dumb on the computer - how do I upload a pic of the car? kurt

Couple of ways to do that: You can either upload a picture file from your computer, using the file manager at the bottom of the posting space (where you type your post). But there is a size limit if you choose that option.

You can also post a link to a picture you have on a shared website such as Photobucket.

Or you can click on the image icon above the posting space. You'll need an image URL for that, which is available from the same shared website (Photobucket, etc.).

Easy, once you've done one. It's the first one that is confusing.

Mickey

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey Richaud said:
Or you can click on the image icon above the posting space. You'll need an image URL for that, which is available from the same shared website (Photobucket, etc.).
Seems to be a frequent question ... perhaps a blow-by-blow sequence should be added to the FAQ ?

OP
K

kurts

Freshman Member
Figured out how to get pics - try url.1949Triumph.shutterfly.com Maybe you can pull them up? Kurt THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kurt
I have a 1949 TRA and Wayne (trrdster2000) has one also. Wayne has given me lots of advice and I'm stilll working on getting mine done. I do have the drawings the replacement sills etc. And if you need any help with the car let me know. Sounds like you might have a shift on the floor. The Roadster Club in the UK is worth the membership for parts and info.

Paul

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag

MGA75002

Hello Kurts. Your 2000 Roadster is a fun car - we have two of them in our club.

Re. your engine, everything Randall said is spot on. I could quote you some facts out of Piggott's latest book, but with replacement engines you can have different parts, carburetors for instance. Just out of curiosity, if you have the head off, measure and see what size pistons you have. The TR4 engine came standard with 86mm (2138); however, the old 83mm (1991) were an option (for those wanting to stay under 2 liters), and the 87mm (2188) is possible with a rebuilt engine (my TR3B has 87s).

Enjoy your roadster!

OP
K

kurts

Freshman Member
Still in the process of figuring out the plan of attack on the Roadster - where to begin? Basically, body is sitting on frame in two pieces - sills are rotten to the point where the back end and front end don't line up. My thoughts were to take body off the frame and replace wood on body first. Any help with patterns would be a great help. What prints or drawings do you have? The engine we think is the TR4 based on comments in the forum - all together so I cannot measure cylinder diameters. Will be adding more pics to shutterfly this weekend. DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON WHERE TO START FIRST?

Kurt

Tr2tr6guy

Freshman Member
Kurt,
Dave Pilcher here from Fort Worth, TX. What you have is a 1948/49 Triumph Roadster 2000 with a TR4 engine. The TRA designator is the 2000 roadster. Only 2000 were made and your's is in the middle of that build. I have 110. The L is for Left hand drive, so you have a rare one there on that only about 150 of those were made for export.

The conversion to the TR2/3/4 engine is a common conversion. If you want to go back to original, I hear this engine is not easy to mate with the original 3 speed (column shift) tranny. So to go back, it could be expensive.

We have two roadsters here in DFW, and I'm a founding member of a Roadster group here in the US. We have abour 70+ members now and have an email forum where we share info. You can get added to the group by sending your email and car info to Alec Knight at alecknight@verizon.net pr me at davepilcher@yahoo.com.

I look forward to following this restoration.

Dave

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Leave the car on the frame and repair the sills first! I can get you copies of the floor boards (plywood) and the sills. Using the doors on the car you can get it all lined up. Then you can remove the body. The frame will be easy vs the (ash-wood) body work. I do not see the AL sill metal, I hope you have that. You will need some good wood working skills or someone who has them. They are availble for purchase in the UK. PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Paul

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Kurt, I too will be glad to help. PM me with a phone number and a time I could call.

Hope you know you will be dealing with aluminum. I can't tell by the pictures what you have and what you don't have. Paul is in the process of finishing his and has lots patterns. Go to the webshots link, below, and you can pick up a few pointers. There is no way to figure out where to start. Mostly just pick one thing at a time.

The left hand drive is very rare. Don't get in a hurry.

Wayne

OP
K

kurts

Freshman Member
Yesterday I decided to check out the engine - put water in radiator and oil in the cylinders and attempted to start motor using small gas tank. After about 1/2 hour the motor started and ran poorly but was able to run it for about 15 minutes - no water leaks and it all sounded good. It appears the motor has been freshly rebuilt. Was very happy with that after it sat for almost 30 years. I updated my shutterly with detail pics of the condition of the car. Will keep you updated on progress - thanks for all your help. Kurt