• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Toyota calipers for a TR4A

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
This maybe be a bit of a repeat thread, sorry. I tried a quick search and this exact topic didn't come up but I kind of remember already asking this.

Anyway, the TR4A needs a caliper rebuild. Taking standard Moss pricing to do this;

585-522 Classic Gold Premium Ceramic Brake Pads $38.95
582-000 PISTON $14.50
583-000 REPAIR KIT (for 2 calipers) $25.95
182-100 BRAKE SHOE SET, 4 shoes $21.95

You end up with a total of about $145 (LBC and others might be less) plus getting them blasted and painted etc figure you are in the $160 range plus the time (which is at a premium these days).

The price of two new fully loaded Toyota calipers from Rock Auto is $122. Adding in converting piping from TSI for $45 you end up with a cost of about $167.

I'm kind of wondering that, save for originality, why not just go with the Toyota calipers. I did the conversion o the TR6 and they are working great.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tom,

The brake shoes don't come into this calculation since they are for the rear correct? Also, for cost comparisons, are the brake pads that come with the Toyota calipers the same level since your spec'ing ceramic ones for the rebuild? RockAuto has standard BeckArnley TR4A pads for $17.51 for example.

Scott

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Well I blew that! Thanks for catching my error, a bit early here when I did this. Should look like;

585-527 Classic Gold Semi Metallic Brake Pad Set $27.95
582-000 PISTON $14.50
583-000 REPAIR KIT (for 2 calipers) $25.95

Subtotal $111.90

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I am interested in some further details on the Toyota swap. Do you have part numbers for the calipers? Are they a straight bolt on with stock rotors?

I have heard the Toyota calipers are a performance upgrade if you do not care about originality. 4 piston vs. 2 piston and I read somewhere that the brake pads themselves are 45% larger, providing more friction area.

Cheers

Bob

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's the whole lowdown on the conversion from the vtr site. The article will tell you everything you need to do the conversion, and has some statistics on their effectiveness.

I put them on my TR3. Of course, I work for a caliper rebuilder, so I got a pair at a very favorable price. :smile:

swift6

Yoda
Early cars need the later Metric bolt with standard threads of the later TR6s. The shank of the bolt is thicker and needed for the Toyota calipers. The only performance increase would be in reduced fade. There are twice as many pistons, but essentially the same piston surface area. They offer essentially the same clamping force. The Toyota pistons are also heavier, especially if you use a Cressida vented rotor.

The brake mod that will yield the most results for the money is to change the rear wheel cylinder to a larger bore and increase the rear braking capability. There is a wheel cylinder for Morgans Sunbeams and Datsun 510's that bolts right in, same brake line thread connection and externally looks identical to the original wheel cylinders.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
swift6 said:
... The Toyota pistons are also heavier, especially if you use a Cressida vented rotor.

I didn't use the vented rotor calipers on my TR3, but I can tell you that the Toyota calipers were lighter then my TR3 calipers. The vtr article mentioned weight, but they were unsure...Sorta..."the Toyota caliper is not appreciably heavier than the Girling caliper, and may even be lighter." That's not saying anything definitive, but if they are heavier then the TR4-TR6 calipers, it won't be by much, as they are lighter then the one piece TR3 units.

swift6

Yoda
Caliper weight itself is nearly a wash, but if you try to use the vented Cressida rotor then the caliper has a spacer and the rotor itself is heavier.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
martx-5 said:
That's not saying anything definitive, but if they are heavier then the TR4-TR6 calipers, it won't be by much, as they are lighter then the one piece TR3 units.

And not to steal this thread (too much!), that's why I'm thinking about the Toyotas as well for the 59 3A - I have the one piece units, they need a rebuild and they weigh an absolute ton.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR4nut said:
martx-5 said:
That's not saying anything definitive, but if they are heavier then the TR4-TR6 calipers, it won't be by much, as they are lighter then the one piece TR3 units.

And not to steal this thread (too much!), that's why I'm thinking about the Toyotas as well for the 59 3A - I have the one piece units, they need a rebuild and they weigh an absolute ton.

Read that article I linked to earlier. The biggest problem with putting them on a TR3 is the caliper bracket. You will have to source them from someplace, as I don't think they are available new. The Triumph club I belong to had some TR6 front ends laying around, and I snagged the brackets from them.

PeterK

Yoda
I picked up TR6 brackets on ebay for cheap for when I finally convert the 3A. These brackets are needed for TR3x only.

But all TRs will need the caliper mounting bolts from a late model TR6 - the metric shank fits the Toyota. Also slight trimming of the dust shields or remove them altogether.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You may also need to trim the TR3 rotor a bit. The TR6 mounts move the caliper a little closer to the axle (which is why the TR6 rotors are smaller).

PeterK

Yoda
Here's what my fronts look like on my 4A.

First I did a dry assembly on the bench

Attachments

• 19960.jpg
    19960.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 286

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Nice job Peter. That is a classy assembly. The red calipers are just a bonus, Tom. But a nice one, indeed. And don't forget the shocks too!

PeterK

Yoda
Brosky said:
Nice job Peter. That is a classy assembly. The red calipers are just a bonus, Tom. But a nice one, indeed. And don't forget the shocks too!

The shocks are Konis, naturally red.