• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Toyota 5-Speed - Followup of problems.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
A while back I posted problems I was having with my 5-speed before and after work was done to it. Sliding out of 5th gear could be the result of the synchronizer assembly but this was changed during the first repair to it. Searching Toyota forums I found an expert that said that was the problem.

However many owners who had problems with trans jumping out of gears found the "ring/seal" below the shift lever ball to be in very bad shape and disentergrated and only replaced that plus the nylon bushing that goes on the ball of the gear shift lever. I tried those fixes but it didn't help. BTW: if you have similar problems with trans jumping out of gears and the Dealer tries to sell you the whole shift tower at $175.00 tell them those small pieces are available. I found the part numbers on the Toyota forum and spent about $30.00 for everything.

After pulling the trans again, I took it back to the repair shop and they worked on it again and they tightened up the tolerances and installed a stronger spring for 5th gear shift fork detent. All back together and test drive was very good. Trans stayed in 5th gear. 5th gear spring is on the left side of the trans, second torqx screw from the bottom. A #40 Torqx tool is needed to remove it.

Question: Has anyone installed the MGB chrome Ring and gearshift boot to replace the Healey's original boot? Please post pictures. I want to install mine but I don't want to remove the trans cover to do it. i bought a collection of hardware to keep me from having to pull the trans cover but I'd like to see what others have done. Thanks!

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Patrick--

I have the MGB shift ring on my car and though I originally installed the rubber boot I have since installed a small central console type cup holder that goes over the shift lever and has a leather gaiter, so I am not sure that any pictures of my car that would be helpful.

Since you must already have a hole cut in the transmission cover to accommodate the shift lever you should be able to install the chrome trim ring and rubber boot without having to do any cutting--you can either use tapping screws to go into the FG or, if the hole is big enough, use some speed-nuts that slip over the edge of the hole and accept machine screws. In either case use oval head SS or, even better, chrome screws to match the finish on the trim ring.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick--

I have the MGB shift ring on my car and though I originally installed the rubber boot I have since installed a small central console type cup holder that goes over the shift lever and has a leather gaiter, so I am not sure that any pictures of my car that would be helpful.

Since you must already have a hole cut in the transmission cover to accommodate the shift lever you should be able to install the chrome trim ring and rubber boot without having to do any cutting--you can either use tapping screws to go into the FG or, if the hole is big enough, use some speed-nuts that slip over the edge of the hole and accept machine screws. In either case use oval head SS or, even better, chrome screws to match the finish on the trim ring.
I did get some Speednuts for 1/4 x20 threads, all they had at the hardware store, plus stainless oval head screws. fiberglass on oneside is short for one speednut but I think I can just get enough of the Speednut to grab it. I like the idea of using Speed nuts and have used them when I installed my AC condenser parts & mounts and they have worked out very well. I'm assuming, that the MGB Oval Ring goes with the longer part of the oval fire and aft? Thanks for info!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
1/4-20 sounds huge for a trim ring - shouldn't they be 10-24? That would match the typical 10-32 phillips screws found throughout the car.

Suggest FMW Fasteners or Bolt Depot online if you don't have a decent hardware store nearby.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1/4-20 sounds huge for a trim ring - shouldn't they be 10-24? That would match the typical 10-32 phillips screws found throughout the car.

Suggest FMW Fasteners or Bolt Depot online if you don't have a decent hardware store nearby.
the threads of the Speed nuts are 1/4 x20 but the screws have a oval head that fits the trim ring screw holes very nicely. I'll double check again tomorrow on screws and hole sizes.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Should the existing hole in your transmission cover be too big to allow you to use speed nuts you can always use pop-rivets to attach a bit of sheet metal to the cover to reduce the size of the hole. I agree that 1/4" fasteners seem too large and I don't think they will clear the holes in the trim ring--I would use those holes as your guide.

Go to:

https://www.cupholdersplus.com/model-a-vagabond-shorty-console.html

and see the small "console" I purchased. The hole and gaiter fits the stick perfectly and to my eye the vinyl looks much better than rubber. One screw with a finish washer in the flat area between it and the cup holders attaches the unit nicely to the transmission cover and there is sufficient clearance between the holders and the dash to place and access a 16 oz. bottle, though I reduced the size of the holes with slip-in adapters to make the bottles more secure.