• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Toyota transmission for TR3=long distance driving

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Could someone provide a link regarding what year and model Toyotas had the trans for the conversion kit to upgrade the 3 for lower gearing highway cruising and where to obtain the kit itself. Thx Karl

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
I did the HVDA conversion over a year ago and love it. Herman's kit is complete with everything you'll need except the transmission. There's no cutting or modifying of existing parts involved. It's a complete drop in replacement. Mine was put into a TR6 but the idea and procedure is the same.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the links....theres an older Toyota Supra I know of sitting in yard beside my girl friends house.....it got me thinking.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
karls59tr said:
Thanks for the links....theres an older Toyota Supra I know of sitting in yard beside my girl friends house.....it got me thinking.

There you go again... thinking.

Since the actual gearbox on those conversions is probably the cheapest component in the system you probably don't want to be too swayed by what you see out of your girlfriend's window.

The 2 conversions I showed links to are quite different approaches, each with their own advantages and challenges.

The second one (Bill Close's) is probably not as well known. It differs from Herman's inasmuch as Bill mates a TR bellhousing to a Toyota box allowing even a TR3 and TR4 to retain the original style pressure plate and all the original hydraulics, TOB etc.

The question you didn't ask but I would be remiss if I didn't answer is a link to a site for rebuilt plug-n-play A-Type overdrives:

https://www.quantumechanics.com/

That's what I went with and couldn't be more pleased with the result.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I did the Toyota conversion on my TR3 , and it turned out great, I went with Hermann's kit. But, instead of taking just the transmission, take the <span style="font-weight: bold">engine and transmission</span> and put it in your TR!! Then you'll really have something! :laugh:

I'm now ducking from all the slings and arrows.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
martx-5 said:
I'm now ducking from all the slings and arrows.

Don't forget pitchforks and torches!

...But, I'm not one of those. I love the idea of keeping the outside fairly stock looking but modernizing whats under the hood... and boy oh boy do I like whats under the hood of the toyota supra :drool: double drool if its a 2jz-gte

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Just remember, as long as you hold the title, you can do what you want with it.

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Dodge the pitchforks, and check with your club for answers too.

I strongly recommend Bill Close. He is wonderful to deal with and answers all questions with careful attention and I cannot say enough about him and his quality.

This discussion could last until my MGA is complete but I hope not.

Cheers,

Steve

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
SteveTR said:
.........I strongly recommend Bill Close. He is wonderful to deal with and answers all questions with careful attention and I cannot say enough about him and his quality........Cheers, Steve

I'm sure this is a matter of who you deal with as I can say the exact same thing about Herman with regard to product quality and the person himself. At the time I installed the HVDA kit I didn't know about the Bill Close option. However, having now reviewed both kits, I'd still go with HVDA as There's no cutting or modifications required. Plus I liked the hydraulic t/o bearing. I'm sure both kits have pluses and minuses and it comes down to a personal choice of what you're comfortable doing.

V

vagt6

If you want to keep your car essentially original (which it will <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> be with a ricer gearbox in it), go with the A-type Laycock overdrive. Properly rebuilt and maintained, the Laycock De Normanville unit will deliver immense driving pleasure for many tens of thousands of miles.

In fact, the A-type OD will reduce engine RPMs significantly more than the Toyota gearbox (5th is .83 or 17%, if I recall).

And, switching on that OD during a spirited run through the gears <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> fails to WOW passengers, many of whom have ever seen, felt or heard an overdrive unit in operation. Also, I might suggest that you first drive a Triumph with OD if you have not, I <span style="text-decoration: underline">guarantee</span> you'll love it.

The Laycock OD unit is original to the marque, it is dependable, and it's thrilling to operate: three <span style="text-decoration: underline">excellent</span> reasons, IMHO. And, did I mention that the OD is FAR more fun than the ricer 5 speed?? :yesnod:

You'll be glad you did, if you get the OD unit. :yesnod:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
vagt6 said:
The Laycock OD unit is original to the marque, it is dependable, and it's thrilling to operate: three <span style="text-decoration: underline">excellent</span> reasons, IMHO. And, did I mention that the OD is FAR more fun than the ricer 5 speed??
What about the fact that the original-style OD unit gives a total of SEVEN forward speeds? :cooler:

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Depends...my Toyota 5th gear is .783 and the box weighs 50lbs less than the OD...doesn't leak either...no electrics to fail...
Agree on the originality aspect though...I'd like to have two TR3's one with each

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The 2 questions you gotta ask yourself.
1. Do you want more oil on the floor , if yes go OD
2. Less hassle go Toyota