• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

synthetic fluid in a toyota 5 speed?

Murray

Is anyone with a Toyota 5 speed conversion using synthetic gear lube? I would like to switch but there are too many choices.

Just wondering.

Murray

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Somewhat off topic, but which conversion did you use and how did the install go?

OP
M

Murray

I used Herman's conversion (HVDA) about 18 months ago and it went fine. The instructions and pictures were very good and the parts were of high quality. On the weekend day (don't remember which one) I called and he answered and was very helpful. I would use his product again.

Murray

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Hermann from HVDA says in his instructional manual says under <span style="font-weight: bold">"no circumstances use synthetic oils"</span> His recommendations below...

Redline Gear oil, 75W
Valvoline GL5, 80-90W
Kendall Gear Oil, 75W
API Gear Oil GL4 or GL5
(recommended oil viscosity SAE 75W-90 or 80W-90)

There has to be a reason Hermann is recommending this. I'll abide by his expertise. I'm using the Valvoline GL5, 80-90W.

Call him up and ask him why he doesn't recommend synthetic.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the Redline a synthetic?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Moseso said:

I believe you are right Moses. I just never gave it another thought when my local FLAPS had the Valvoline stuff.

Hey Hermann...what's up with that!

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Murray, I just installed the HVDA conversion and am still a few weeks away fror the first drive with the new tranny, Herman has a great product but there is a little more to it than the web site says. You need a TR6 pressure plate and the fly wheel needs to be drilled and tapped to fit the new pressure plate. I think more than just a weekend to install. I sure am excited to feel the differance. Now out to the garage to put in more parts,

PeterK

Yoda
I asked the guy at Toyota since that basic gearbox is used in a lot of models. He said they only use Mobil 1 (and have for many years) and the boxes come with synthetic. I use Mobil 1.

OP
M

Murray

Thanks, that was what I wanted to hear. If it specs at GL5 then any GL5 should work.

I bought the pressure plate from Herman and he sent it to me early. That work was done ahead of time and the trans and clutch was done in a weekend.

Murray

PeterK

Yoda
Murray,

If you ordered the hydraulic t/o bearing, you have to use DOT3/4 brake fluid (no synthetic fluid) in your clutch cylinder. I use Castrol GT LMA in mine. Synthetic brake fluid is not compatible with the t/o bearing.

OP
M

Murray

I have had the conversion done for about a year and a half and have used Motul dot 4 brake fluid. It's the same fluid I used in my race car, good stuff. I am leaving 2 weeks from Friday for the VTR convention in Ca. About 2,200 miles one way. If synthetic fluid works in the trans, which apparently it does, I wanted to change it before the trip.

Murray

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moseso said:
To further confuse the issue, Redline makes quite a few different gear oils; none of which is rated only 75W.

The "general" problem with synthetic gear oils is that some of them are too 'slick' for good synchronizer operation (the synchros rely on friction to operate). However, Redline makes several gear oils specifically for manual transmissions (meaning they are not too slick):
https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

davidk

Jedi Trainee
Herman specifically recommended Redline MT-90. As mentioned above, the 'no synthetic' applies to the hydraulic throwout bearing. Works great btw.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
I'm in to my second year with Herman's conversion and loving it. I used Valvoline in the tranny and Catrol LMA in the clutch M/C. You cannot use DOT5 in the clutch M/C per Herman and Quarter Master which makes the T/O bearing. If you can buy the PP from Herman, do so as it will eliminate any problem with T/O bearing compatibility....ask me how I know! :wall:

OP
M

Murray

Hi:

Is the Valvoline synthetic or the normal gear lube? I have also been using the Valvoline 80-90 since I have put the trans in, but would like to use synthetic.

Murray

OP
M

Murray

I talked to Herman this morning about gear lube for the trans. He is down on Valvoline 80-90 because they changed the formula, but I don't remember the details. Red Line MT90 is on his preferred list and he has a friend that has used it for a few years. I am going to put that in my transmission.

Murray

PeterK

Yoda
Same here. He's a wealth of information and usually calls on his nickel and talks for an hour.

OP
M

Murray

You are correct. We talked so long my fully charged cell phone needed to be charged by the time we finished. He is a wealth of good information.

Murray