• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another Toyota Twink

4ageSprite_A40

Freshman Member
Hi... I have just re-registered here after about 5 or 6 years away. It has taken me that long to be able to begin my 4AGE Sprite project. I have been collecting some of the essential stuff needed for the car. You know, like the engine and stuff. Yesterday I found an RX7 Disc/LSD rear end. I had followed Jayrz's 20 Valve thread until he sort of fell off the map, last year. If anyone knows how to get hold of him, I'd like to talk with him. Like Jay, I am in Denver.

Mark

'69 (soon to be) 4AGE Arkley Sprite
'54 Austin A40 Somerset

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Mark,

I live about 6 miles from Jay and have been meaning to stop over to see what he was up to and if his Midget was up & runing yet. I'll post back (or Jay will) once I've talked to him.

Good luck with the swap.....I am seriously considering it myself!

OP

4ageSprite_A40

Freshman Member
Cool. Another friend of mine, here in town, originally turned me on to the idea more than ten years ago. He has a Bugeye and a 4AGE/T50 of his own. He will probably move to New Jersey before he gets around to building his. Good to meet you.

OP

4ageSprite_A40

Freshman Member
I haven't worked my end of town for a few years, but one of the guys I was selling parts to was the guy who sold me the MR2 that gave up it's engine for my Sprite project. As I walked in his garage, I saw an early sixties Spridget. I looked in the engine bay and saw a 20 Valve Toyota. I asked if the car belonged to a guy name Jay. Sure enough it was Jayrz's car. Small World! He's still sorting out the wiring, which is roughly where the car was at the last time Jayrz posted on BCF. My friend, the Toyota guy, who advised me about the 16V 4AGE stressed to me, 1) Keep all the engine wiring intact, only disconnect the ECU plugs and 2) buy the motor from a manual transmission car, so that you don't need to change the ECU and harness. It turns out Jay's engine was from an automatic, therefore all the wiring's different, hence the electrical delay. The guy, Don, did do a very clean installation, though. Shifter perfectly positioned and proper rubber engine mounts. The exhaust is right up against the foot well, though. I don't like that, but it was hard to do any other way. Don figured that a turbo would alleviate the congestion in the foot well area. Anyway, I need to put some additional serious thought and pre-planning into this project, lest I go off half-cocked. At the same time, however, this conversion is not exactly rocket science. I am banking my allotted build money tomorrow. One way or another, it's "off to the races." I still want to talk to Jay, though, and I'd like to meet you too, MrSprite. We should all get together at the Conclave in September, at least, if not sooner. My buddy with the Bugeye/4AGE-16V will be there as well. A good time is sure to be had by all :smile:

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Oh i am still around.

Honestly haven't worried much about the Midget and have been concentrating on getting my 64 B the way i want it.

Jumping back into the Midget20v this winter after I acquire some more tools and a set of bike carbs.

RZ

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Jay! I was going to update this thread, but couldn't find it and gave up.

Nice seeing you again at the conclave.

G

Found a T50 in the JY. Gonna cost me $100. Tempted, but no use for it and I don't feel like pulling it out either.

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Mike,

yeah I was thinking about that earlier when I got on the computer and downloaded , finally, my pictures from the Conclave. I only took two pictures of that guys Bugeye we liked so much. Man that car was impressive.

The HRD guy Don is now in the hospital, so it looks like I am probably going to gather up the car and run it on Flatslide Keihin FCR race bike carbs, for ignition it will be distributorless with a Megajolt box and EDIS system. Then it'll be done and won't have to worry about any JDM only computer stuff. The ITB EFI is neato torpedo,,,,,, if you have somebody to figure out how to make it work. This would be alot easier in California where there is a tuning shop on every corner that does this stuff with the 5 valve 4AGE motors.

Oh and the MGB is gettig a 5 speed soon, can't wait because I literaly do not take it on trips because i feel like I am killing it on the highway. You need to come over and drive that B, she is pretty quick now.

Later,,,,

G

Jayrz said:
Mike,

The ITB EFI is neato torpedo,,,,,, if you have somebody to figure out how to make it work.

So, whatchagonnado wit dat ITB set up???? How many cash American dollars would it take to get it from you?

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Kellysguy,

let me get the FCR carbs on it and I'll let you know if they are for sale.

I really need to get back to work on the Midget,,,, just had other priorities.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Mark welcome. I have a 4AGE race midget and an Arkley as well. Here is a picture of my install:

IMG_0351.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Steve, that is sooo sexy!!! :wink:

loudog

Freshman Member
Hey guys,

Just got on the boat here after 6months of research. Im pretty sure I have the know how, and have accumulated all the knowledge, now I just have to apply it all.

Recently bought a 63 Sprite, going 20v, I have found soooo much info I feel its doable, but I'm sure I will be pestering some of you for some help along the way...

...heres to the next couple years of a sadistic hobby that will most likely take over my life and ruin my relationship with the lady, most likely worth it.

Btw, Jayrz and Brust, you're an inspiration to us all.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag