• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tight steering.

Meyer'sTR3

Freshman Member
A friend of mine just acquired a 58 BN4. I drove it and the steering seems very tight when turning. Slight adjustments in steering seem normal, but when you actually turn the wheel it seems stiff and tight. What would be the first thing to check, the steering box lube? Any suggestions are appreciated.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
To try to locate the problem area, the first thing I would do, is jack up both front wheels, lifting the car by the lower spring plates. This gets the wheels off the ground, but keeps the steering geometry in about the same position it would be in with the wheels on the ground. With less resistance now that there's no ground contact, you might get a sense of where the stiffness originates. My steering box was too tight and didn't return to center on its own when driving. Backing off the adjusting screw was all it needed.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
To try to locate the problem area, the first thing I would do, is jack up both front wheels, lifting the car by the lower spring plates. This gets the wheels off the ground, but keeps the steering geometry in about the same position it would be in with the wheels on the ground. With less resistance now that there's no ground contact, you might get a sense of where the stiffness originates. My steering box was too tight and didn't return to center on its own when driving. Backing off the adjusting screw was all it needed.

Adding a note to the above: the steering wears in the straight-ahead position; therefore the screw needs to be adjusted with the wheels turned to one side or binding can result.

G

When is the last time the king pins have been greased? I had a problem with my steering do to lack of lube to the king pins. Once greased it worked like it was new. Grease everything before you adjust anything.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Put a 2" block of 2x2 wood under the upper A-arm before lifting and the steering geometry will be in the correct position.