• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

tonneau too tight

198686d

Jedi Trainee
o.k. Not new tonnoeau, but like new. Not used for years. Just a squish short of snapping up. So, please you gurus of plastic and snaps. What does the poor man do?

dave in st. louis
61 BE sprite

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Borrow your wife's hairdryer and heat it up.....

Country flag
Snap extender? Like you need for your pants after Christmas dinner?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
wash and throw the car in the dryer to shrink it?

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would suggest you bring it in the house for a couple days to let it warm up well. After that fit it to the back first, then use a hair dryer to warm it up while you stretch it to the front studs. Once it is on, I would leave it for a while if possible.
Or you can wait til summer and let it sit out in the hot sun all day before you put it on.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Do what I did and add a piece of nylon webbing 3/4", in black, and add a Male and Female snap on either side. Webbing from any fabric store like JoAnn Fabrics, snap kits came be found there as well. Works fine and lasts a long time. Takes about 5 minutes to make up and you're done. I needed extension at the top of the tonneau where it attaches to the windshield. That trick fixed me right up. Used the same thing for snaps on the boot cover to make it easier to fasten to the back shelf

Country flag
Thanks, Jim. That is what I was eluding to.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

You and I think alike. We use the KISS Method. Simple, simple

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
tonnoeau I have no i have no idea but as some says here I admire the problem. Find the magic solution and share it. I'm still trying to find a buyer for my .89 scale bugeye tonnoeau.
:lol:

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
I've had similar problem...

Getting it good & wet might help "soften up" the material.

Having it warm will make material more pliable.

To accomplish both at once rub leather/vinyl conditioner on it & then soak it in a shallow bin of warm water. (NOT HOT, or you might actually shrink it!) If you can find a suitable soluable conditioner (maybe a fabric softener?) it might be worth adding it to the water.

Once it feels soft and pliable it should stretch to fit on the car.

Best done in warm weather, or in a warm garage.

"cheers!"

-Bear-

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Dave,

Simple nylon webbing 3/4" wide. Put a male snap on one side and attach to tonneau cover snap, put a female snap on the opposite side of the webbing at the correct distance for your .89 size cover that will not stretch to fit and simply snap into place. You've effectively stretched the cover to fit.

Country flag
One problem that just occurred to me Jim. He probably has lift-the-dot fasteners.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
BugEyeBear said:
To accomplish both at once rub leather/vinyl conditioner on it & then soak it in a shallow bin of warm water. (NOT HOT, or you might actually shrink it!) If you can find a suitable soluable conditioner (maybe a fabric softener?) it might be worth adding it to the water.

-Bear-

Might want to be a bit careful about what you use. I once used neatsfoot oil on a motorcycle seat (on the advice of a leather expert). I then found out I had used neatsfoot oil COMPOUND and it ate the stitches. Don't use anything that will hurt them!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmm, You can do the same thing with Lift-A-Dot's. Not quite as simple and may need some sort of backing plate on the other side of the nylon webbing but Lift-A-Dots I've seen at Marine Supply Places and anywhere someone who does boat upholstery. where there isa will there is a way. I'm guessing the place that does not fit is at the front of the tonneau.

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee
That's true. I do have lift the dot fastners. But, I'm going to try the "warm in house" routine and then the hair dryer. The high temp in St. Louis today, will be about 15, and my detached garage is unheated, so I'll wait til the thaw over this coming weekend.

thanks guys.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Is the problem at the rear where the tonneau fastens to the deck or simply getting it attached in the front? With both on my tonneaus issue has always been getting to to attach to the windshield at the sides. Now with Miata Seats and a roll bar getting the tonneau to fasten is a challenge. I'm going to need a little bit of customization done by an upholstery shpo to tonneau fits properly now that I've got to deal with Miata Seats, Windblocker, and a Rollbar. My '69 tonneau fits the seats the best. That was the year of really high headrests and extra large headrest pockets but it won't fit around the rollbar or get close. Got a latter tonneau installed on car in garage right now but might make for curious driving the way it fits currently.

Between my '69 tonneau and the latter tonneau, additional zippers, and some velcro of twist and turn fasteners I can get the upholstery shop to modify something so it fits properly. I saved my old convertible top for additional, "weathered" vinyl that looks period correct to match the existing tonneau. Got a couple of good pics of what others have done with tonneau and roll bar as samples if anyone is interested in creative solutions.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Nylon Webbing with extra Lift A Dots are the answer.