• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7 Tonneau Cover

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm going to have a new Tonneau Cover made for my BJ7. In talking with the upholsterer he asked me what the flaps on the original Tonneau were for. I know that there would be a cross bar behind the seats but I never understood how the flaps would be used. The flaps are on the top/outside of the tonneau.
Also the long, narrow, longitudinal flaps approximately over the front edge of the seat cushions, ( both right & left seat), what are they for? I'm thinking about eliminating each of these flaps with the new Tonneau. Thanks for any information about these flaps.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Dave,

The flaps are to allow you to fold the front part of the tonneau down behind the front seats while keeping the rear seats covered. The front of the tonneau is affixed to the pegs near the floor on the bulkhead. The flaps are there so you can pass your seat/shoulder belts through while the rear part of the tonneu is still attached.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey Vette:
Why not find a good one ebay and spray it the color you want .
No do not eliminate the flaps.

OH! Toms Import toys handles Robbins products which are great!

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Depending on the price and quality, having one made may be a good option. I had not thought of that before recently buying a tonneau cover for the BJ7 from AHSpares. It looks good, although I likely won't fit it to the car until the spring or summer. The snaps come in a package in the box, so installing them will take a bit of work. With the British Pound so low, buying directly from Britain is quite attractive.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. Ok, I now see the use of the flaps. But I probably cut the pegs at the floor off when I replaced the floor and part of the bulkhead. And I was concerned that the open slots which you say are for the shoulder belts would allow water in. My wife and I are taking an extended trip next summer with the Healey and she loves traveling with the top down. So I was thinking about having a good weather tight tonneau so as to not keep putting the top up at night time. I can see that as I continue to refine this car and it is getting more and more less original specification, I am concerned that i am decreasing it's value while at the same time increasing its utility. But darn the torpedos full speed ahead, build what ya want and DRIVE IT, right? It's already so far out from original with the alternator, two fuse boxes, twin fuel pumps, a parcel retaining bar across the back seats, etc I suppose spending alot of money for an unorthodox tonneau isn't going to affect its value much more than I already have. Speaking of money, the reason I am having one made locally is that I see that Moss is selling them for about $460 that doesn't include tax and shipping. The local guy is charging me $525 sewn up the way I want it and fitted professionally and with a slightly heavier grade of material that matches the original in appearance... Thanks for the help.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Vette

I bought mine from AH Spares some years ago, it came with the flaps that are concerning you, but no cut or hole to pass the belts through, I just left it as was, did not even install the press buttons, so there is an option for you. BTW it can be a PITA with the Tonneau folded down behind the seats and the belts in use, as they tend to fold around outer edge of the Tonneau, and can get a bit caught up 'cause it is not a straight line from your neck to the rear fixing point - if you follow me.

:cheers:

Bob

Country flag
My tonneau has the slots for the shoulder belts and I use the detachable belts from Moss. Works great. I have the flaps that attach wall below the seats. I don't use them cause they serves no real practical function.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well TH:

If you are traveling and have stuff stored under the tonneau buttoning the cover down keeps things in place as well as hidden from the prying eye too.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Having the tonneau without the slits would be acceptable to me. I'll have to check the price at AH Spares. Since I have a grab bar fastened across the cockpit behind the front seats and parallel with the edge of the front of the rear seats, the exciting tonneau draps over it well enough to allow an unencumbered drop to the floor. So I don't need the snaps for the floor attachment. But as long as the tonneau is not cut it would work. Although i understand there would be alittle more security with the snaps.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Security - with a tonneau cover - you can't be serious

Though having said that, I have one of those stick on the windscreen compasses and it touches the dash - I use this to slip my parking ticket under when I visit the local shops and I have not had it nicked yet. - -thinks -- famous last words!!!

:cheers:

Bob

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Security - with a tonneau cover - you can't be serious Bob

Last summer, we left the freshly filleted fish under the closed boat cover for just a minute. When we turned our backs, a huge raven who had been watching got in under the cover and flew away with a fillet in his beak. I followed him from tree to tree for a bit yelling at him: "bad bird! bad bird!" He just laughed at me, and I gave up. He's probably going around saying "bad bird" now; ravens are about as smart and long lived as parrots. Yeah, watch those tonneau covers!