• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7/BJ8 Door Check Straps

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Guys,

My check straps are not working properly on my BJ7 doors. In fact, I don't think that they ever have and they were low down on my priority list.

I took a good look at the RH one and it seems that the threads of the clamping nut are worn so it will not tighten. Has anyone attempted to refurbish these? The RH one has a LH thread and the LH one will have a RH thread. I will look at the LH one today so I can determine the thread type.

If the threaded posts have worn I am considering cutting them off, re-drilling a hole and welding in suitable 8.8 bolt from underneath. Good old Ebay appears to have some, it is just a matter of determining the thread type.

:cheers:

Bob

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
On my BN4, I replaced the nut on the LH check and that was enough to get it to work. I also made a beefier "wrench" to tighten them on both sides. They are 5/16 UNC on mine. Looking for LH nuts and bolts, nuts aren't too expensive, but bolts are really expensive.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Replace the friction discs , make sure the clamping bolts are in good condition and you should be good . You need to have a right and left hand thread due to the way they work .

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks John, it confirms what I measured yesterday. On this side of the pond it is impossible to get LH UNC threaded nuts and bolts in mild steel of any grade, plan B is to buy RH 5/16 UNC Nuts and Set screws and also some bolts with a partial threads that can be cut down to size and I have ordered some LH taps and a die to make my own. Both the nuts and the threaded studs on both sides are shot so all has to be replaced. I can get replacement check straps from SC Parts and that would come to around to nearly £100 including VAT and postage, so there is an advantage if I can refurbish the existing, the oversized friction washers look to be sound and the 4 pronged slightly domed washers are sound so it is worth while having a go.

Bob

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
An update

I bought in some mild steel Hex bar that was 1/2" AF. Today using my pal's lathe I have made the two clamping nuts, and have made them a tad longer than the existing, the thinking is that it would reduce the strain on the threads. The bolts are of 8.8 steel so that should be strong enough to last me out anyway. I have not welded the bolts/studs to the brackets yet but have cut off the existing studs and have drilled and tapped the brackets R and L hand threads as required.
I have tried an off cut of RH thread screwed inro the the left hand bracket and locked off on the underside with a nut, it seems to be working but we are experiencing some bad weather here at the moment and I can not get the car out of the garage to fully open the door or indeed get at my welder, but the prognosis looks good.

Bob

DarvinR

Replace the friction discs , make sure the clamping bolts are in good condition and you should be good . You need to have a right and left hand thread due to the way they work .
We might deal with the same issue on my friend's new BJ7 project. The previous owner mentioned it may need a new friction discs. We'll just finish installing the rotors and jeep wheels on the Wrangler TJ before we can clear the garage and take the BJ7 in.

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John, in what way did you beef up the fixed 'wrench' mine looks as if it sprung so I am thinking of a remanufacture in thicker material with a longer fixing screw, or create step at the fixing end and use the existing fixing screw

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks John, it confirms what I measured yesterday. On this side of the pond it is impossible to get LH UNC threaded nuts and bolts in mild steel of any grade, plan B is to buy RH 5/16 UNC Nuts and Set screws and also some bolts with a partial threads that can be cut down to size and I have ordered some LH taps and a die to make my own. Both the nuts and the threaded studs on both sides are shot so all has to be replaced. I can get replacement check straps from SC Parts and that would come to around to nearly £100 including VAT and postage, so there is an advantage if I can refurbish the existing, the oversized friction washers look to be sound and the 4 pronged slightly domed washers are sound so it is worth while having a go.

Bob
I have a bunch of LH thread bolts leftover from miter saw laser kits.
Let me know what thread and length you need.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
John, in what way did you beef up the fixed 'wrench' mine looks as if it sprung so I am thinking of a remanufacture in thicker material with a longer fixing screw, or create step at the fixing end and use the existing fixing screw
I just used the old one as a pattern (closed up the sprung ears) and cut a pair out of 1/8" x 1" steel from the hardware store. I made the ears a bit wider.

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks John
My thoughts gravitated to a similar fix and I have remembered that I have a stock of similar bar so will be getting on to it ASAP - That means when that she who must be obeyed lets me loose back into the garage. :smile:

Bob