• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7/BJ8 Vent Window Corner Block

healeydan

Freshman Member
Does anyone know where to find the item described in the Moss catalog as Block, Front Corner? It is shown on the Door Fittings and Seals page as #144 in the vent window box of the exploded view drawing but is listed as N/A. Looks as though it is a rubber part and possibly essential for weather and draft blocking. I've tried other parts houses with no luck. Are cars being put back together without this part?

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
I bought sets recently from both Moss and Victoria British. I didn't like one of them for quality issues (sorry, can't remember which one). So if Moss is out of stock, try V-B.

OP
healeydan

healeydan

Freshman Member
I bought sets recently from both Moss and Victoria British. I didn't like one of them for quality issues (sorry, can't remember which one). So if Moss is out of stock, try V-B.

Moss doesn't give a part number and Victoria British doesn't even show the part in their drawing.

Country flag
If it's the rubber block that goes on the top/rear of the vent wing frame it's essential to prevent removal of flesh from your forehead.

OP
healeydan

healeydan

Freshman Member
If it's the rubber block that goes on the top/rear of the vent wing frame it's essential to prevent removal of flesh from your forehead.

Nope, not that one. It is depicted as a part that fits at the forward and bottom point of that window's frame.

grimes6

Country flag
Nope, not that one. It is depicted as a part that fits at the forward and bottom point of that window's frame.

This rubber block (17h 2852) and the cover ( 17h2853) on the top of the quarter vent were only used on the BJ7's prior to H-BJ7-17551 to 20109. I don't think they are still available. The later cars used the quarter vent rubber which was one piece.

egards,
Greg

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
I am talking about part number 4 (18-082) in this Victoria-British catalog picture. Not sure what the BJ7s used.

ventwindow.jpg

OP
healeydan

healeydan

Freshman Member
This rubber block (17h 2852) and the cover ( 17h2853) on the top of the quarter vent were only used on the BJ7's prior to H-BJ7-17551 to 20109. I don't think they are still available. The later cars used the quarter vent rubber which was one piece.

egards,
Greg

Hi Greg, not familiar with the part numbering you are referencing. Please advise where I can look these up...............dm

OP
healeydan

healeydan

Freshman Member
I am talking about part number 4 (18-082) in this Victoria-British catalog picture. Not sure what the BJ7s used.

View attachment 37240

Hi Gearhead Glen, Right, I have the part you've identified. The part I'm attempting to find is not shown in this catalog. It is shown in the Moss catalog but they don't give it a Moss number apparently because it is unavailable through them. They do give it item number 144 (next to the window Sealing Rubber) on their drawing here:

Vent Window Parts.JPG

grimes6

Country flag
Hi Gearhead Glen, Right, I have the part you've identified. The part I'm attempting to find is not shown in this catalog. It is shown in the Moss catalog but they don't give it a Moss number apparently because it is unavailable through them. They do give it item number 144 (next to the window Sealing Rubber) on their drawing here:

View attachment 37242
The part numbers are original healey part numbers. I can scan the section of the parts book and send it to you in a PDF file if you like. I have never found a reference to these items in any of the suppliers catalogues. I suspect they were only used on small number of BJ7's - about 2,500 from the look of the parts book. I will check if the window frame is the same part number for all BJ7/8's - if they are you , will be able to use the later quater vent sealing rubber.

OP
healeydan

healeydan

Freshman Member
The part numbers are original healey part numbers. I can scan the section of the parts book and send it to you in a PDF file if you like. I have never found a reference to these items in any of the suppliers catalogues. I suspect they were only used on small number of BJ7's - about 2,500 from the look of the parts book. I will check if the window frame is the same part number for all BJ7/8's - if they are you , will be able to use the later quater vent sealing rubber.

Grimes6, I get the feeling I am whipping a dead horse. For now, I am putting the car together with the available parts and in the meantime will keep my eye open for the part I seek as I cruise around the upcoming shows and meets. Thanx for chiming in......................hd

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dan, here is a picture of the vent window frame from my BJ8. I don't see any piece like that. There is the one piece rubber surround, and a rectangular piece of foam along the bottom of the frame. I imagine that the one-piece surround does the trick.

Attachments

• Vent Window Frame.jpg
    Vent Window Frame.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 110
OP
healeydan

healeydan

Freshman Member
Dan, here is a picture of the vent window frame from my BJ8. I don't see any piece like that. There is the one piece rubber surround, and a rectangular piece of foam along the bottom of the frame. I imagine that the one-piece surround does the trick.

Hi CLEAH, ding ding ding, you are the winner. That is exactly the item in question. Initially I assumed (and we all know the effects of doing that) it was a molded rubber part but that is not the case. As your photo shows, (and as it was explained to me today by a local Healey guy) it is simply a piece of foam who's purpose is to block the flow of air through the void under the wing frame. Thank you for the show and tell.

grimes6

Country flag
Hi CLEAH, ding ding ding, you are the winner. That is exactly the item in question. Initially I assumed (and we all know the effects of doing that) it was a molded rubber part but that is not the case. As your photo shows, (and as it was explained to me today by a local Healey guy) it is simply a piece of foam who's purpose is to block the flow of air through the void under the wing frame. Thank you for the show and tell.
I have just checked the Healey parts book and the quarter vent chromes are both the same part number for the BJ7 and BJ8 so the later 1 piece quarter vent rubber seals will fit the earlier models ( 17551 -20109) listed as having a three piece rubber quarter vent seal. I have never seen the sponge rubber seal under the quarter vent seal - the only ones I have seen are sealed with 'dumdum' sealing putty.

Regards,
Greg