• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Can A BJ7 Two Light Schroud Be Coverted To A Four Light BJ8 Style?

Jeffsbj8

Country flag
I have a 67 BJ8 which many years ago was coverted to a two light system because of damage to the original schroud .Can this be corrected
on the BJ7 schroud?
Thanks for the Responces, Jeff

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Jeff, it can but it is alot of work. That is what I have been into because my BJ7 was a car originally delivered to Europe and has the earlier European lighting arrangment in that it has the running lights and turnsignal lights separate like a BJ8. During my restoration, i found that I could not get a wiring harness for my car. I had to choose either a BJ7 harness that was configured for dual filament light sockets front and rear with the brake/turnsignal relay used Or a BJ8 harness that had the dash layout completely different than my car but no brake/turnsignal relay. I chose to buy an original BJ7 harness and change it to fit my car. It has been a PITA. Firstly since I have dual lights like a BJ8 I had to eliminate the brake/turnsignal relay configuration, in the new harness, which the standard BJ7 has mounted on the left from inner fender apron near the brake resouvor. That meant that the wires that goe to the relay had to be jumpered there and sent to the light sockets. But also the flasher circuit is different between the two cars and the wires to the trafficator are different because the trafficator switches the relay in one car, but switches the flasher directly in the other car. Had to reconfigure that circuit to make it work without the relay. Then too, the brake circuit is different. Basically there is no dedicated brake wire in the bj7. the brake switch operates the relay and the relay sends the signal back to the rear lights on the wire that is at one instant the turnsignal and at the next instant (during braking) the brake wire. so since I elected to use these two (left and right) wires for the turnsignals, I had to run another dedicated wire to the rear for the brake lights. Also this wire wouldn't go to the relay, it had to go directly to the brake switch. There were a few other anomallys that had to be worked out as well, but too much to remember now. It's not an easy or might I say practical job. Dave.

OP
J

Jeffsbj8

Country flag
Thanks Dave , I am not to concerned about the wiring , I am concerned over the body work on the schroud and if it will indeed be feasible. thanks again

OP
J

Jeffsbj8

Country flag
Instead of going the route of cutting and welding a new bottom valance on shroud ,which is a good idea, has anyone ever fabricated the platforms to mount the extra lights ,or ever seen it done?

Frameman

We have developed a tool that stamps the inner light into the shroud. We of course would need your shroud to do it.
The other two options are to change out the lower shroud to a four light system- which is expensive or to aneil the aluminum and locate the position of where the stampings would be and panel beat them into shape.
Martin
Jule Enterprises

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Jeff,

I think Frameman is right, the BJ7 shroud can be fairly easily modified to fit the BJ8 inner lights. I had very poor condition shrouds on my 67 BJ8, but opted for BJ7 shrouds as they had a cleaner look, not being burdened with federally induced additional lights. I'm very happy with the look, though not exactly original it fits the original design appearance. I used a BJ8 harness and designed a circuit with relays to adapt to the shared turn/brake lights in the rear. Works great.
Contact a body shop with experience in aluminum panel modification experience and give them pictures/dimensions of a BJ8 panel and you will have your wish.