• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

These Leaks are a Bit Shocking--Even for a TR

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
OK, I'm still stumped by the leaks--major.

First, my OD Transmission in my TR4A is leaking badly. The seal around the rear OD plug is part of the problem, but I'm seeing fluid in other places as well, like along the sides/ends of the OD unit and on that bottom round piece that looks like a freeze plug. Also, there is a little silver BB-valve looking thing down there. It's also wet. Is that some kind of relief valve? It actually does look like a BB.

I'll take this to the shop I guess, and have a pro look at it, but I'm used to being able to find and fix leaks. Not this one.

Here'a another. Every single bolt on my oil pan is wet with oil, and the front block might be the problem. On the garage floor is easily about ten table spoons of oil. Car has been sitting for 4 months. I just can't imagine that much oil coming out of my engine. The bell housing hole is wet, so I suppose some of the oil could be the rear main seal, but what are the main culprits of that much oil. It's as if it just sifts out while the car sits, and it doesn't seem like the pan gasket could be the whole problem.

Any ideas appreciated!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Most pros seem to be reluctant to tackle leaks as well; generally you'll get some answer like "the engine and transmission have to be rebuilt".

Actually, for the OD, that may be the correct solution. After the drain plug gasket, it seems that a distorted adapter plate is the most common cause. And if you disassemble far enough to replace the plate (John Esposito sells a beefier one that should be less likely to distort), you might as well go through the OD while you're there.

It is possible for the "freeze plug" and "silver BB" to leak, but I've never seen them actually leak. They are there to fill holes created during the manufacture of the unit (drilling for internal passages). But since they are on the bottom, oil that runs down from above tends to collect there.

My suggestion is to clean it all up as best you can
21c7hliOOUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and check for leaks as they are just getting started (so you can see where they actually come from). One trick is to spray suspect areas with foot powder (the stuff that goes on wet and dries to a white powder) so you can see even a slight trace of oil.

Also feel on the back of the cylinder head (since you can't see there very well). There are two plugs on the back of the head that sometimes leak, plus of course the back of the rocker cover gasket is a common spot.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
KVH said:
...It's as if it just sifts out while the car sits...

Or perhaps it leaks when running with that oil forming a widespread (but very thin) layer that eventually finds its way to the low points (oil pan bolts, drain plugs, etc) when it sits for awhile.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'll try that footpowder. I can already hear it from the Boss at home: "Even your trips to the drugstore are now for your car."

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I currently lose a lot of oil out of the rear main, it might be my imagination but it seems worse sitting in the garage than actually when I'm driving since I rarely top up oil when I'm on the road. One thing I improved on was I found on my TR4 the basic pcv setup was clogged partially - it made a difference when I cleaned it out - you might want to check yours to see if it is still functional.

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It's not leaking - it's British-engineered perpetual rust proofing. If it weren't for the engine and gear oil splattered across the underside my TR would have rusted out years ago! :0)
Cheers,

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Before I took my Spitfire over to the Great Scot car show this spring, I cleaned it up. Hosed off the engine and frame and noticed a bit of sheening in the runoff water. Hah!! So much so that it killed the grass all along the drive way.