• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Newbie intro and battery disconnect question

jltait

Freshman Member
Hi, I'm Joanne. I've owned a 64 Sprite MK III since 1991. I used it a lot the first few years and then it unfortunately sat for a while (2 pregnancies and subsequent newborns). But now that the snow's melting, I'm jonesing to get it running.

Here's my question... unlike any other British car owner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, I've always had problems with the battery draining when it's connected. Since I want to use the car to get to work this summer, I want to put in a disconnect switch (under the dash so I don't have the pop the hood). I'm looking at a Hella (with the red key). Do I need one that is specifically for a positive ground system or can it be wired in either way.

Cheers all, Joanne

Hi Joanne!! Welcome aboard!!
the disconnect switch wont care about polarity. It may be wired either way. i have mine on the negative post (negative ground)

mark

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! Regarding the switch,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif. I think that you'll find this forum to be a great resource for info, and a great group of people! Snow's melting here in Boston too, I can't wait!

BertVolmer

Freshman Member
hi and welcome! Like SilentUnicorn mine is connected to the negative post on a positive ground car. I think it doesn't cut the current entirely though, so I'm not sure that it will stop the draining of the battery. I use it as an extra anti-theft device, for which it's great!

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Hi Joanne...
Welcome aboard the forum.
I'm in Edmonton and the snows alllmost gone so I'm out for a drive this weekend I hope.
I know it's not easy, but you really could use trying to track down where the electrical drain is coming from. Temporarily disconnect a cable from the battery and wire a 12volt lightbulb between the battery and the cable you removed, if theres a drain the lightbulb should light. If your sprite has fuses you might try pulling them out one at a time and see if it still discharges. At least you may isolate a circuit that way.
So I'll show my ignorance, what/where does the term "Jonesing" come from?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ok folks, does it matter which post it is on? i have one of those green wheeled ones it seemed to fit the negative post better than the positive post.....so i put it on the negative post. My car is negative ground.

mark

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would want it on the ground post. When you're working on the car that is the post you want to disconnect first when disconecting the battery. Once the ground is is removed you cannot accidently short out even if your wrench or screwdriver touches the positive post while in contact with the block or body.

Yes, the usual variety is built for the smaller negative post because 'modern' cars are negative ground.

As for Jonesin', see: https://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?search=jones

Thats how i had it figured, Thanks Geo

mark

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I got the same one as you, Mark, and it is on my negative post. As far as I am concerned, it works great! I cannot speak to slow drain over time, though, as I take the battery out of the car when it is going to sit for long periods (winter/vacations/shop time, etc)..force of habit from owning boats.

dklawson

Yoda
I believe you guys are talking about two different switches that do the same thing. Some of you are talking about the ones that go right on the battery posts. The one I believe started the discussion is the one that goes "inline" with the main battery cable and has a removable key. If you buy the type that goes on the battery itself you need to select one that fits either the pos. or neg. battery terminal as they are different sizes.

Since you seem to be using this to prevent battery drain the following wouldn't apply. I have a battery type disconnect on my Mini and I have a fuse wired parallel to it. This allows my clock to keep running when the battery switch is disconnected. Should anyone try and start the car the current will immediately blow the fuse and the car won't start.

As for the battery itself, remember they will loose charge just sitting idle, particularly in the cold. For the cars I don't use frequently I have "float chargers" from Harbor Freight. I put cigarette lighter adapters on them and plug them into the cars when they will be parked for a while to keep up the charge. It's been a Godsend on the cars I only drive a couple of times a year.