• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Newbie - please help with first drive impressions

sobamaflyer

Freshman Member
Hello All, I'm a very long time car nut with (old car) past experience mostly in vintage VW's. I have recently found myself wanting a new toy to play with which led me here a few months ago where I've been lurking soaking up info.

I saw an ad in the local paper for a '71 Midget that by chance I passed yesterday so stopped to check out (it's at a dealer lot on consignment). They tossed me the keys and after a little while of crawling around it I took it out for a little drive. It's been a while since I had such a fool grin plastered on my face as I must have had driving that tiny little thing (I've had a few cars that induced it regularly but through either fate/necessity/stupidity on my part I haven't had one in a couple years now that did it). So OK, I'm hooked and I could really like a LBC. What I ask of all of you much better versed folks is assistance in helping me quantify some of the things that I noted about this car and generally what pricing should be for such a car (as I begin to search for one).

The car I drove has a (starting) price of $3500.

Rust: The floors were a bit rusty but not as bad as some other cars I've driven around for years so I wasn't too concerned. The rockers seemed solid as were the wheel wells. There were bits of spots here and there that could certainly use attention but nothing major.

Suspension: I'll tell you what I felt you tell me what "normal is". It wasn't as "tight" as I had expected, would set into a lean in a corner but I never felt anywhere near out of control. It didn't rebound constantly so I assume the shocks were ok but it was still rather "springy". Also the steering wandered a bit.

Engine: wow, much more than I expected given my old VW past, it was very peppy and enjoyable to drive. 3/4 through my jaunt the exhaust pipe decided to let go of the header (it had a Weber & Header on it) and dangle down a couple inches from the road surface. I nursed it back to the dealer and found that it was [not]secured by a C-clamp and obviously wasn't on tight enough. I did see a little dampness up around the radiator hoses and a cross member behind it.

Interior: was in better shape than some cars I've bought by a good bit, it wasn't great but it was ok. The speedo (and Odo) didn't work but the tach did. Funny side note, my wife was very disturbed that it appeared rain would come in around the top, I told her from what I gathered that wasn't too far off "normal" and it wasn't intended to have that top in place anyway.

It had wire wheels in respectable shape with decent tires. A rediculous shift knob and a modern radio/speakers. The dealer had absolutely no idea about the car even though he attempted to act like it (I love those guys, it's a sport of mine to make them squirm). He attempted to tell me the car had "great compression" I asked what the numbers were for all 4, I get the blank look and he says I don't know but drive it it's got great compression.

So, If you would all be so kind (after reading this way overly long post) and tell me what's "normal", what's a "red flag" and your opinion on pricing. My impression was from my reading here, wandering on Ebay and other places this was not a bad car for $1500 but that it wasn't worth the $3,500 he wanted. I didn't have much intention of buying THIS car but it was the first opportunity I had found to drive one of these fun little wonders.

Thank you, Travis

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Travis:

Welcome to the forum. In addition to the areas that you mentioned for rust is the lower door hinges. You did not comment on the paint and the usual suspect of places may have rust and be covered over.

The front end should be tight! When doing the front end, I recommend doing the whole thing, doing so your self can set you back about $1500, or more. If it is done and properly maintained, it will last for years.

Another item was the speedo/odo, this is most likely the cable and can easily be changed. If it is the gauge then it can they are not expensive for a used replacement.

Wire wheel cars are worth a little more money, but I would take them off inspect the splines, because if they are worn that may become expensive.

The wiring/electrical was not mentioned and I would review it to make sure there are no non-original wiring stuck in there for Christmas lights.

The engines are fairy reliable (71 was a good year, imho), and if it shifted well and had some umphh it is probably okay.

Concerning is the exhaust falling off, it show the quality of attention it had received in the past and seems like it may have had a darn previous owner (dpo).

Overall from what you are saying it does seem priced a bit on the high side.

Lets see what others say, and again welcome.

Patrick

OP
sobamaflyer

sobamaflyer

Freshman Member
Re: Newbie - please help with first drive impressi

GB1 said:
You did not comment on the paint and the usual suspect of places may have rust and be covered over.
The paint was older and in need of a good cut & polish at the least, there was no indicative bubbling but a bit of surface rust here and there at some seams

GB1 said:
The front end should be tight!
I wouldn't call it tight compared to my Honda S2000 but it was far tighter than my '73 Karmann Ghia and a little better than my '67 T3 Fastback. I'll assume a rebuild was in order and I don't have a big problem with that.

GB1 said:
Wire wheel cars are worth a little more money, but I would take them off inspect the splines, because if they are worn that may become expensive.
Good to know

GB1 said:
The wiring/electrical was not mentioned
I will make sure to pay closer attention to that one in the future, I wasn't fully intending to make a purchase offer so I didn't test out a lot of it (lights, etc).

GB1 said:
if it shifted well and had some umphh it is probably okay.
It had plenty of umphh (for what I expected it to have) and I'd say it shifted "ok" it took me a few min to re-acclimate myself to babying and old girl a bit instead of just ham fisting it, it engaged all gears ok once I found the sweet spots.

GB1 said:
Concerning is the exhaust falling off, it show the quality of attention it had received in the past and seems like it may have had a darn previous owner (dpo).
I had the same thoughts.

Thank you for the welcome /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I look forward to more advice/opinions as I start this new path.

Country flag

As you probably guessed... 1st gear is not synchronized. MossMotors.com can give you an idea on part prices (subtract 12-15% is you buy from a distributor).

There are several versions of spridgets. Everyone has their preferences. Mine

1. Bugeye Sprite
2. 72-74 Midget
3. MkI Midget 61-63
4. Mk2 Sprite 62-63
5. Other pre-75 spridgets
6. Rubber bumper midgets 75-onwards

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Trevor:

That is so funny, my friend had driven my BE several times and two weeks ago was his first time driving my 71 Midget.

He said it is like a "cadillac" compared to BE, I like them both, but the '71 does have a lot more creature comforts. Just take the seats as an example.

Very interesting, your listing of preferences, I agree, but for a daily driver I would definately take a rwa over a BE.

Not that I will ever sell my BE.

Pat

Country flag

Well... my midget was a daily driver, but know that my LBC is just a fun car I prefer the earlier sidescreen cars.

bugimike

Yoda

You guys enjoy these cars for the "creature comforts"?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

Front End Wander can be symptomatic of lots of repair issues but none are major unless the rust worm has gotten to the front end suspension mounting areas. All parts are available and can be renewed. Shocks from Perer C at World Wide Imports in Madision, WI are rebuilt better than the factory. Another guy in Columbus rebuilds the A-Arms/ Kingpins one of the other parts for the front end that wears out. If you do the work yourself you can update shocks and suspension parts for around $1,000. But when you do, the Spridget tracks like on rails.

If floors are in good shape and interior is decent you can figure that A-Pillars will need replacing, you'll probably find Bondo here, and that Outer Sills may need work as well as area behind rear wheels typically rusts.

Electrical gremlins abound but most can be traced to green on the contacts and once cleaned up most of this stuff starts working once again. When these cars are driven and exercised regularly they do tend to be reliable. Just need more regular maintenance work than a modern car.

$3,500 is way too much for what you describe as a 20-30 footer. I'd be down a whole lot less than that to the $2,000 to $2,500 range.

All of the parts and pieces you need are available from MOSS or VB or of of this list from folks who now own multiple Spridgets as parts cars. If you need something to tinker with, and cause you to sit up in bed at night and shout Eureka, as you've figured out a solution on why something or other does not work, then a Spridget is for you. Your S-2000 is a marvelous machine and I'd love to have one of those also parked in the driveway. At the same time, you won't have folks walk up to you on a daily basis to ask you about your Spridget, and share their past adventures in one of these cars. These cars have personality and a soul. That's why we love them and most of us have given them names. They may not be the fastest around but boy are they ever FUN!!!

If this one doesn't work out financially there are many others out there you can find. I've had Bugsy more 6 years next month and he's still fun to play with. Still lots to fix and modernize and upgrade, but at the same time he gets driven and driven often because it's so much FUN!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Welcome, and we will provide lots of motivation and opinions and good information.

OP
sobamaflyer

sobamaflyer

Freshman Member

Jim_Gruber said:
you can update shocks and suspension parts for around $1,000. But when you do, the Spridget tracks like on rails.
I had gotten that impression from my reading and this particular car definately needs SOMETHING up front but as I said that doesn't daunt me, I'd take pleasure in rebuilding it.

Jim_Gruber said:
$3,500 is way too much for what you describe as a 20-30 footer. I'd be down a whole lot less than that to the $2,000 to $2,500 range.
Thank you, I was hoping for this opinion to back up my un-trained one in the same range. If I decide to go back for this particular car I think I'd start at $1500 and see where it went. I'd like to look around a little, I'm willing to spend that $3,500 and travel a little but think I could find a slightly better example for that money.

Jim_Gruber said:
If you need something to tinker with, and cause you to sit up in bed at night and shout Eureka, as you've figured out a solution on why something or other does not work, then a Spridget is for you.
That's EXACTLY what I need, I don't do well with free time and I love quirky, unique old little cars. I agree completely that they have personalities and soul all thier own that a new machine just can't match.

Jim_Gruber said:
Your S-2000 is a marvelous machine
Sadly that's one of my regrets, I sold the S2k and wish like heck I hadn't (I have a few of those but at least previous ones were because I was broke and needed to eat). It absolutely is a marvelous machine and was the most nimble, fun new car out there (moreso than the 350Z Roadster that replaced it) but still didn't "need" me like a vintage car does. Wifey ended up driving the Z and I'm stuck in the Family hauler so I need something fun again badly /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thank you all for contributing to my knowledge and musings.

OP
sobamaflyer

sobamaflyer

Freshman Member

jlaird said:
Welcome, and we will provide lots of motivation and opinions and good information.

Thank you sir, that's exactly what a good forum is good for, this one seems to be wonderful compared to some I've been a part of over the years

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Folks here have given good thoughts, so I'll just say Welcome!

Interesting preference list, Trevor. Here's mine:

1. Bugeye Sprite
2. Mk2 Midget 64-66
3. Mk1 Midget/Mk2 Sprite 61-63
4. Other pre-75 spridgets
5. Rubber bumper midgets 75-onwards

I like them all, but this would be my hunting order if I found room/time/funds/spousal-okay for another car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the forum. The motor is indeed a good one and if it ran and shifted, it probably is ok. Rust, the car has a unibody, so rust at the spring mounts is serious, cause to walk away. Also check the door pillars. The front end , I don't see where you could spend $1500 on it, when I did mine it really was a pretty easy job that was relively inexpensive. Wiring could be a problem, the car is 36 yrs old, but if it works, it works. The spridgets have a pretty simple wiring harness that is very simple. Now, about those smles while driving...

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Major Frt Rebuild Kit 200
A Frames 250
Shock Rebuilt 200
Ream and Shim King Pins 400
Springs 100
Rotors, Brakes, Lines, etc 250

Note these are rough estimates, amounts vary, but this does get ya in the realm.

Patrick

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif smiles per mile is what it is all about.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif smiles per mile is what it is all about.

hehehe /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

sobamaflyer said:
Jim_Gruber said:
If you need something to tinker with, and cause you to sit up in bed at night and shout Eureka, as you've figured out a solution on why something or other does not work, then a Spridget is for you.

That's EXACTLY what I need, I don't do well with free time and I love quirky, unique old little cars. I agree completely that they have personalities and soul all their own that a new machine just can't match.

Yeah, sounds like you'll fit in just fine here.....

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior

I get a E99999999 message on my calculator when I count smiles per mile, so I have to count them per yard. :smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
sobamaflyer

sobamaflyer

Freshman Member

Thanks for the advice all, I'm looking forward to finding those smiles /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif