• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Sorry from the Newbie...Clutch gone on 78 MGB

Guywith2Mgs

Freshman Member
Country flag
so I had not driven the 1978 MGB for about 3 years and when I went out to test it and the clutch was to the floor. I didn't see any leaks under the car where the slave cylinder is, but I am no expert. What do you think if i fill up the cylinder and then see if it leaks? I am not sure how to bleed it properly but I think I can figure it out. Also worried about lifting the car with the original jack. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good and safe way to lift the car up? thanks..and sorry for the newbie post...

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Check the carpet underneath the pedals. Fluid can come down off of the master.
lift car up at front from the crossmember and place Jack stands underneath….don’t ever trust a Jack by its self.
I would replace the hose, slave and master and be done. Bleed at the slave underneath the car.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It you can push/pull or otherwise roll the car up on some proper capacity ramps, that to me would be the safest way since all the lower clutch stuff is in the middle. I HAVE changed out one of those slave cylinders on the street curb in front of an italian resturaunt by getting the wheels up on the curb to get enough room to wiggle under there, but that was close to 30 years ago when I could fit. I like having the car sitting on its wheels whenever possible, seems more stable than jackstands . Having lost an uncle under a car supported improperly (fortunately did not witness it personally) I'm always a bit nervous even if its on a proper lift in a professional shop.

jr234

Freshman Member
Country flag
lift car up at front from the crossmember and place Jack stands underneath….don’t ever trust a Jack by its self.
I would replace the hose, slave and master and be done. Bleed at the slave underneath the car.
I was hoping to see something along the lines of my own clutch fluid leak (not wishing anyone the problem, but you understand...). I had a problem with my clutch not allowing gear shifts, determined the fluid level was low in the Master cylinder. Filled it with DOT4, gears shifted with engine running and not running. Thought it was a simple fix. Nope. When similar problem of shifting came about, checked Master level, virtually empty, and a puddle of fluid was on the rubber mat in driver's side well. I had already ordered a full kit from Moss (Master and slave cylinders) and was going to get that replacement work done. With the puddle of fluid, I'm trying to determine where the brake fluid is coming from (the Master brake cylinder appears okay, it's the clutch master that empties). Any thoughts? Thanks!

jr234

Freshman Member
Country flag
so I had not driven the 1978 MGB for about 3 years and when I went out to test it and the clutch was to the floor. I didn't see any leaks under the car where the slave cylinder is, but I am no expert. What do you think if i fill up the cylinder and then see if it leaks? I am not sure how to bleed it properly but I think I can figure it out. Also worried about lifting the car with the original jack. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good and safe way to lift the car up? thanks..and sorry for the newbie post...
Regarding the lifting of the car to work under it...Darth Vader gave an excellent option, especially to NOT use the car jack that would be the likely choice to fix a flat. I'm no expert, by any means, but having reviewed several YouTube videos related to replacing clutch slave cylinders and bleeding the clutch lines, the general consensus of those with experience suggest a floor jack to lift the car, then use two jack stands (of appropriate support strength). They also suggested leaving the floor jack in place as added safety just in case...

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was hoping to see something along the lines of my own clutch fluid leak (not wishing anyone the problem, but you understand...). I had a problem with my clutch not allowing gear shifts, determined the fluid level was low in the Master cylinder. Filled it with DOT4, gears shifted with engine running and not running. Thought it was a simple fix. Nope. When similar problem of shifting came about, checked Master level, virtually empty, and a puddle of fluid was on the rubber mat in driver's side well. I had already ordered a full kit from Moss (Master and slave cylinders) and was going to get that replacement work done. With the puddle of fluid, I'm trying to determine where the brake fluid is coming from (the Master brake cylinder appears okay, it's the clutch master that empties). Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'd guess your clutch fluid is what is causing the puddle on the floor. If the seals in the master go bad, fluid can and will run down the shaft and end up dripping off the pedal levers onto the floor (had this happen in MGs and Jeeps). Brake fluid and clutch fluid is basically the same stuff, so the likelyhood is high that what you're finding on the floor is your disappearing clutch fluid.

jr234

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'd guess your clutch fluid is what is causing the puddle on the floor. If the seals in the master go bad, fluid can and will run down the shaft and end up dripping off the pedal levers onto the floor (had this happen in MGs and Jeeps). Brake fluid and clutch fluid is basically the same stuff, so the likelyhood is high that what you're finding on the floor is your disappearing clutch fluid.
Yakko,

Thanks for the response, and explanation of how the fluid can be leaking from the actual Master cylinder down to the pedals and onto the floor. I'll check to see if there appears to be any trail of fluid from the Master cylinder while I have the chance. I do have the total kit from Moss, with both Master and Slave cylinders, so we'll replace both and hopefully solve the problem. Bleeding the system is going to be another thrill in this adventure, I'm sure!

As Gilda Radner often said (on the old Saturday Night Live show), "it's always something!"

OP
G

Guywith2Mgs

Freshman Member
Country flag
thank you!!

OP
G

Guywith2Mgs

Freshman Member
Country flag
It you can push/pull or otherwise roll the car up on some proper capacity ramps, that to me would be the safest way since all the lower clutch stuff is in the middle. I HAVE changed out one of those slave cylinders on the street curb in front of an italian resturaunt by getting the wheels up on the curb to get enough room to wiggle under there, but that was close to 30 years ago when I could fit. I like having the car sitting on its wheels whenever possible, seems more stable than jackstands . Having lost an uncle under a car supported improperly (fortunately did not witness it personally) I'm always a bit nervous even if its on a proper lift in a professional shop.
thank you for this..

OP
G

Guywith2Mgs

Freshman Member
Country flag
Regarding the lifting of the car to work under it...Darth Vader gave an excellent option, especially to NOT use the car jack that would be the likely choice to fix a flat. I'm no expert, by any means, but having reviewed several YouTube videos related to replacing clutch slave cylinders and bleeding the clutch lines, the general consensus of those with experience suggest a floor jack to lift the car, then use two jack stands (of appropriate support strength). They also suggested leaving the floor jack in place as added safety just in case...
thank you!

jr234

Freshman Member
Country flag
thank you!
I had a similar issue (it's discussed in these threads) with the leak into the driver's footwear. I got the master and slave cylinder from Moss, total kit with both cylinders, hose and related washers for about $59. Not trying to steer you to Moss, but that's an option.

I bought a 3-ton floor jack and 2 jack stands, which were very useful when replacing the slave. My master cylinder was in really bad shape, where the leak came from. The slave literally disintegrated when we began removing it. Fortunately, my soon to be son-in-law was experienced with this sort of thing, he did the heavy work, including bleeding the clutch, and also bled the brakes that were spongy.

I've been driving the 80 MGB around the neighborhood, ensuring the leak is no longer a problem. My confidence level isn't quite up to a major road trip, but hopefully soon.

OP
G

Guywith2Mgs

Freshman Member
Country flag
I had a similar issue (it's discussed in these threads) with the leak into the driver's footwear. I got the master and slave cylinder from Moss, total kit with both cylinders, hose and related washers for about $59. Not trying to steer you to Moss, but that's an option.

I bought a 3-ton floor jack and 2 jack stands, which were very useful when replacing the slave. My master cylinder was in really bad shape, where the leak came from. The slave literally disintegrated when we began removing it. Fortunately, my soon to be son-in-law was experienced with this sort of thing, he did the heavy work, including bleeding the clutch, and also bled the brakes that were spongy.

I've been driving the 80 MGB around the neighborhood, ensuring the leak is no longer a problem. My confidence level isn't quite up to a major road trip, but hopefully soon.
yes definitely going to Moss Motors for that kit. It's on my list but its too darn cold in the garage to work on it until i get the heater in there!

jr234

Freshman Member
Country flag
up here in New Jersey and ugh the winters stink!
I guess your Brit Car will be snuggled down in the garage for the next few months. My wife and I will be in Kansas City next week for a few days, visiting with my nephew and his family. That's about all the winter we can endure. We had a cruise beginning in Iceland and to Norway and the UK, as well as another cruise recently to Alaska. Our previous "northern blood" has been climatized to Florida for the past 42 years.

My wife is a Boston girl, and the blizzard of 78 was the straw that broke the camel's back.