• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Emergency...Sorry

GaryBeu

Banned
So Ellie (our MGB) is Carla's daily driver to get to and from university. I use our truck for work where I travel a lot. One vehicle makes for a NIGHTMARE!! Ellie has let us down again and I'm not enough of a mechanic to "for sure" sort this out...HELP!!

The water temp has been running at "normal". Yesterday it ran at about 1/2 way between normal and hot. This morning it spiked at "hot" after a short warm-up. Antifreeze is good. I started her up this afternoon and she immediately started going up in temp to normal and then climbed on up. There appears to be some "hissing" sound and I think the water pump may be toast. I REALLY need to get this sorted out quickly. Any suggestions or should I just order a water pump?
Another big problem is the prior P.O.s who took the data plate off of the engine so I don't know for sure which one we have :frown:.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like a stuck thermostat- that is what I would change first (and be SURE that you put it in frontwards!!)
BillM

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
After you change out the thermostat
Redline makes some stuff called Water Wetter.

It drops the temp about 10-20 degrees.

I ran it in all my Blown cars, they use it
in all the NASCAR race cars. stuff works.

Find it at you local autoparts store.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
GaryBeu said:
So Ellie (our MGB) is Carla's daily driver to get to and from university. I use our truck for work where I travel a lot. One vehicle makes for a NIGHTMARE!! Ellie has let us down again and I'm not enough of a mechanic to "for sure" sort this out...HELP!!

The water temp has been running at "normal". Yesterday it ran at about 1/2 way between normal and hot. This morning it spiked at "hot" after a short warm-up. Antifreeze is good. I started her up this afternoon and she immediately started going up in temp to normal and then climbed on up. There appears to be some "hissing" sound and I think the water pump may be toast. I REALLY need to get this sorted out quickly. Any suggestions or should I just order a water pump?
Another big problem is the prior P.O.s who took the data plate off of the engine so I don't know for sure which one we have :frown:.

Look for leaks too Gary, and Make sure your rad hasn't lost fluid. If there is a leak there should be evidence- though I have had pinholes that only sprayed under pressure.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
In a emergency, it's OK to run without thermostat. It'll run too cold, but won't really hurt anything.

Also, rev up engine with bonnet open and look at lower radiator hose. If hose is old and soft, it may "collapse" at higher RPMs (the lower hose runs under suction). This can cause overheating too.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would also take off the radiator cap and watch it warm up. You will be able to tell when the tstat opens and if you see bubbles you may have a blown head gasket or cracked head.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. I'll do all of this tomorrow. This just HAS to be the most helpful and understanding bunch of people on the 'innernet'...Carla and I really appreciate all of you.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
GaryBeu said:
Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. I'll do all of this tomorrow. This just HAS to be the most helpful and understanding bunch of people on the 'innernet'...Carla and I really appreciate all of you.

good people attract good people - how I got here, how you got here.
:grouphug:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, I'll admit that I know nothing about MG's BUT have you checked the belt to make sure it is not loose on the water pump?
As others have said, I would suspect the thermostat first.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
JPSmit said:
GaryBeu said:

I have always tried to portray myself as a "Bad Boy", villans have so much more fun, when we get away with it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
CZ_Dave said:
JPSmit said:
GaryBeu said:

I have always tried to portray myself as a "Bad Boy", villans have so much more fun, when we get away with it.

You give yourself away, name one villan who drives (much less collects) MGBs - kind of like using a clown car as a getaway vehicle. :jester:

G

JPSmit said:
GaryBeu said:

How'd I get here?!?! :confuse: :jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
JPSmit said:
GaryBeu said:

How'd I get here?!?! :confuse: :jester:

easy, WE'RE good people :devilgrin:

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by "frontwards"...I know which side goes up and which side goes down... :crazy:

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
So I'm still at a loss on this. I took out the thermostat and heated it in a pan of water with a meat thermometer and it opened at 180° just like it should. Changed the antifreeze (it was not low) and reinstalled the tstat. The lower hose does not collapse at high RPM and the tstat does open. The temp gauge still runs just under the "Hot" mark. I ran it for awhile in the driveway with the radiator cap off and a meat thermometer in the antifreeze and it read a steady 170°. Does it sound like the gauge? Any way to test that bugger? I'm lost here...Thanks.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do you see the antifreeze moving with the cap off?
Is the water pump working?

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I don't really see anything DEFINITE moving. When I first refilled the radiator the tstat obviously opened and most of the antifreeze moved out so I refilled it. But I don't see any real movement afterwards. So...probably the pump?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Gary
Before you pull the new pump out of the box pull your old one off and see if the blades (impellers) look to be in OK shape or are completely rusted away. If it is still good then don't replace it.
BillM

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Then again, if you want to
check the temp gauge,
At Harbor Freiget Tools, they have

A Digital Laser pointed electronic temp gauge.
Just point and squeeze the trigger and it
gives you a digital heat reading of the engine.

One of the many fantastic tools I have aquired
and used many times.
Pretty resonable cost too.