• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Leaf Springs

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
The rear frame lug where the leaf spring mounts to the frame is a 1/2" lower than the passenger side. That would account for some of the 1 1/4" difference. Also I don't see pads at the attachment points of body to frame. I wonder if it's possible to loosen the attachment points in order to shim the body without removing everything. I wouldn't be able to correct the whole difference but might get an improvement.

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
I've decided to replace the passenger side leaf spring so that I have a matched set which is something i should have done anyway. Even though the part numbers are the same on the current springs does not mean that the manufacturers are the same since one may have been purchased eight years ago. If the problem still persists at least I know that it's not the springs.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If you jack the car under the center of the differential case, does it level or remain tilted?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It will. The idea is to see if the front springs sit level when you take the rear springs out of the equation.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I got a pair of the springs from Rimmer Brothers in the UK. They are both the same. One side should have 2 extra pieced of spring material.

David

Spring label.jpg

Spring number.jpg

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
If you jack the car under the center of the differential case, does it level or remain tilted?

I did that. The difference decreased from 1 1/4" to 1/2". I assumed from this that the second leaf spring should be replaced so I've ordered one. After taking the second spring off, I placed them inverted side by side on a bench. Although they appear to be the same part number, one appears to be the thickness of one leaf higher than the other. I'm not sure if that's enough to cause the car to sag that much. We'll see once I replace it.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Are you saying that the driver side is supposed to have a stiffer spring?

No. The difference is a pair of very short leaves on the top of the passenger side spring. It is somewhat counter-intuitive but adding thickness to the spring causes that side to sit a little bit lower.

The idea is to have the car sit level when a solo driver is behind the wheel.

Here's a photo (not mine) of those extra leaves (some may call them spacers):

WjfjlD5.jpg

Not all cars got them (they were discontinued at some point) and possibly not all repros have them either. I added a pair to my TR4 passenger side spring to level the ride.

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
No. The difference is a pair of very short leaves on the top of the passenger side spring. It is somewhat counter-intuitive but adding thickness to the spring causes that side to sit a little bit lower.

The idea is to have the car sit level when a solo driver is behind the wheel.

Here's a photo (not mine) of those extra leaves (some may call them spacers):

WjfjlD5.jpg

Not all cars got them (they were discontinued at some point) and possibly not all repros have them either. I added a pair to my TR4 passenger side spring to level the ride.

Interesting. That means that when no one was sitting in the car, the passenger side would be lower. Essentially the spacers force the spring downward bringing the chassis with it.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...That means that when no one was sitting in the car, the passenger side would be lower...

Initially yes. Perhaps the intent was to address a tech rule by some sanctioning body that required the car to sit level with a driver on board.

I think what happens over time (say, 50 years) is that the driver's side sags more than the passenger side - so the effect of the spacers is to make the car more level than it would otherwise be.

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
Although not perfect, adding the passenger side leaf spring made a marked improvement. There is now 3/8" difference between the centers of the directional lights. I don't think that the original springs were a match.The greatest improvement is at the front of the car. The centers of the Lucas headlamps are within an 1/8". In order to get the back of the car better, I'm tempted to add a shim on top of the passenger side leaf spring as shown above. We'll see how much it bothers me. In any case, thanks to everyone who've added information to this thread.

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
3/8” difference. I’m pretty annul but that wouldn’t bother me.

3/8" difference at the directionals means even more from one side of the car to the other (although difficult to measure). I can still see the difference although much improved. Must be my carpenters trained eye.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh I have been a journeyman carpenter since 1982 and I feel your pain. I would add the body tub takes shims to level it out also, so perhaps the bench mark with the headlights is floating, like working on a boat, ha ha. Plus there is that whole idea of some people sitting in the car and them weighing the same. Anyways, I think it is fine. The one concern I might have is that I heard the ride can be stiff with the new springs, but I have never had them, so I am comfortably dumb with my old ones that could break at any time, so again you probably did the correct solution because those springs are getting to be the only game in town.
steve

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
Yeh I have been a journeyman carpenter since 1982 and I feel your pain. I would add the body tub takes shims to level it out also,
steve

I agree that the body should be shimmed. When I measure to the frame it is exact right to left.

Funny how many carpenters I meet that are wrenching as a hobby. When I was messing with racing bikes, there was an abnormal amount of carpenters doing the same. After I built my house I traded in my claw hammer for a lump hammer. I'd rather be in my garage dealing with my TR and my bikes rather than fixing a door that rubs. Metal is more fun than wood.