• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaf Springs

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm looking for new leaf springs for my BT-7. I hear that the ones from the leading cos. have your car sitting too high in the rear ? Have any of you guys found ones that look right on your car ? thanks !

RAC68

Darth Vader
I have researched this recently and have decided to go with Martin Jansen’s of Jule Enterprise for my BJ8P1 springs (same as those on the BT7). After my originals sagged after being re-arched, and now I am at the same low point with the new springs purchased from Moss about 10 years ago.

Remember, New Springs will need some time to settle before providing the proper height. If you start with the springs that provide the proper height, chances are they will be to low after settling.

In a conversation with Martin (owner of Jule Enterprise and designer of the Jule replacement Healey frame), Martin explained that the original Healey frames contributed a significant amount of torsion deflection and the lighter springs of the pre-BJ8 P2 produced less stress (and a softer ride) on the Healey’s original thin-walled frame.

As previously posted:

“The Jule frame is far stiffer with much less torsion deflection and, therefore, looks to the suspension to provide greater support. To satisfy this suspension requirement, the Jule rear springs are much beefier and, although they may provide a somewhat harder ride when mounted on an original frame, will maintain performance and road height for a far longer period. Since most of us will not race or, in fact, use our Healeys in a highly aggressive manor for an extended period, I would expect that the added stress of the Jule springs on an original frame will not contribute any measurable deficit. As far as having a harsher riding car, I see that as a non-issue also and anticipate a fitted Healey will still excel in comfort when compared to a ride in a Corvette or Porsche (in my opinion).”

I would suggest you go to www.jule-enterprises.com and contact Martin. He is a very delightful and knowledgeable Healey guy and will discuss your specific spring objectives.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Country flag
About a hundred years ago, or maybe it was in the late 70s, while working at Austin-Healey West, we put a set of springs on a customer's BN7. I don't think anyone in the shop had ever seen a *new* leaf spring, so we didn't figure out how wrong they were until the job was all put back together.

Maybe we should've had a clue when we had to use a Porta-Power (between the eyes) to spread the spring out flat enough to meet the mounts/shackles? Or possibly when we had to use some GIANT C-clamps to squeeze the spring up to the axle perch? But we didn't, and the back end sat as high as it could, with the axle firmly pressed into the rubber pads on the frame.

Maybe it'll settle, we thought? Nope, not gonna happen, but I'll never forget taking it around the block to test it; totally rigid suspension, with the rear tires skittering over the smallest pebbles, and QUITE LOOSE. Diabolical, really!

Nearest we could figure, was that the springs they sent were for a BJ8/PII, so the correct set was ordered up, and we had to do the job over again. This time, we were much more successful!

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Dougie,

Thanks for the alternative. Looks good and the listing states the right things but has anyone any experience with them?

<span style="font-weight: bold">A Head 4 Healeys</span>

SR4065 LEAF SPRING (BN4-BJ8.26704) £73.55 + VAT.

We’re proud to offer this superior product that resolves the long standing issues connected with the poor quality alternatives, available elsewhere. Say goodbye to incorrect ride height & a rock hard ride. Welcome in a comfortable & compliant drive that is both reliable & safe in operation. Built up to a specification & not down to a cost, these are still very well priced at just £73.55 + VAT.

I sent them an e-mail to see what the shipping cost would be to NJ. It's getting to the point that the shipping charges are greater than the product...especially from Europe.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

RAC68

Darth Vader
Just received a shipping quote for 2 springs from England to NJ and, as expected, it was greater than the cost of a spring at $128.89 UPS. This would bring the cost of 2 springs to an expensive $373.92.

I understand that shipping from Canada is also expensive. Am I correct in my understanding? I will contact Martin Jensen for shipping charges from Jule to NJ as a comparison.

Does anyone know what additional costs would be applied when bringing these parts to the US from GB?

Ray (64BJ8P1)

richberman

Jedi Warrior
If you use a credit card you may be charged an exchange rate fee. My Hyatt and Amex cards have dropped this fee. I have found that if you order a larger order of parts the shipping does not go up so much. Maybe you could order a bunch of springs together and save on shipping. Superwrench can get to NJ easily :cheers:
rich

OP
Superwrench

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is always a additional customs fee addded on later when I get parts from Denis Welch in UK. Ray let us know the price from Canada, my buddy Rich is real close to NJ and can pick them up for me ! Ha ! :cheers:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Superwrench,
I will send them an e-mail requesting a spring quotation for 2 sets and shipping to Colts Neck, NJ.

Ray (64BJ8P1)