• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaf Springs ?

waveandwen

Country flag
Had my left side leaf spring disintegrate over the weekend. Actually, the process has been going on for some time. Already made a McGuyver repair when one of the segments exited the vehicle at 65mph; not fun.

Recall seeing here some time ago a few threads re: poor asian quality replacements. Was there any consensus as to where to procure decent replacement leaf springs ?

Thanks, Dave.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Was there any consensus as to where to procure decent replacement leaf springs ?
Thanks, Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there is ever a "consensus" on what parts to get & who to get them from.

I got a very good set of rear springs from Moss about a year ago. They are holding up well & I couldn't ask for better. Not letter perfect reproductions of the originals, but very close. The much discussed problems with the older Moss offerings seem to have been eliminated. I got all new bushings & hardware to go with them. I'm sure that you will get other opinions on this subject.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Well Waveandwen, I am of the opinion that all the springs available from our usual US parts suppliers come out of the same bin.Consequently ,just find the best price around and go for it.---Fwiw---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
W

waveandwen

Country flag
thanks guys. I'll probably go with Moss then. I have a bunch of parts to return / exchange from the MGB refresh just about finished.
Dave.

bighly

Jedi Knight
The Moss parts work just fine. I expect to hear from you again when you go to remove the front leaf spring trunions. So I will anticipate. They often will not come out and there is precious little room to coax them out with a hammer, press etc. I had to carefully cut mine out with an angle grinder. Removal of the front pins was a one day per side project.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The Moss parts work just fine. I expect to hear from you again when you go to remove the front leaf spring trunions. So I will anticipate. They often will not come out and there is precious little room to coax them out with a hammer, press etc. I had to carefully cut mine out with an angle grinder. Removal of the front pins was a one day per side project.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH Yes those fellas can be a bugger,but if you have a Sawsall it will make your life much easier when and if they are frozen and you have to remove them.--Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Dave,

Because the Moss springs were poorly painted, during my frame off restoration, I dis-assembled mine, sanded the paint runs, surface rust between the leaves and then primered and painted the parts with a high quality chassis paint. Kind of a pain but something to consider doing before installing.

Cheers,
John

OP
W

waveandwen

Country flag
Have seen previous thread discussions re: the difficulty awaiting me. I'm not looking forward to it. There is a small voice in my head that keeps saying mine will be the one that the trunions just simply fall out after fasteners are removed. Hope springs eternal.
Have angle grinder / sawsall standing by just in case.

The comment about one day per side does cause serious trepidation however. If I weren't so dang stubborn, I would take it today to a shop for replacement. Oh well, what's the afflicted to do ...

Thanks for assistance, Dave.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH yeah Dave! take it to a shop! an when you got the bill you really would be afflicted.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeah John I just put a set of rear leaf springs on the BJ7. I didn't dissassemble them but did sand, primer and re-paint them. I kinda liked the yellow stampings on the springs so I taped over them when I painted. I like that "factory" look.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif