• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Checking oil levels

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Checking the level in a TR6, there is no dip stick; but you can tell when either are completely full if the oil just starts to flow out of the fill hole when the car is sitting level.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To check, stick your pinky finger in through the fill hole and tip it down. If it comes out coated with oil, there is enough in there. The level can be a finger-width below the hole without hurting anything.

IMO you should also examine the oil on your finger for any signs of shiny spots. If it's black or stinks (kind of like rotten or burned eggs), it's due for a change.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
to add oil. easy way is to go to a boat store and get a pump that will screw on to your oil bottle and it comes with a hose and pump away till the oil over flows out and your done, if your going to check it you might as well change it, the diff might be more difficult if you dont have the added drain hole put in the bottom

Hondo

M

Member 10617

I find that the easiest way to check the transmission is to jack the car up on the side with the fill hole. Remove the plug. Pump in transmission oil till it begins to overflow. Do not replace the plug. Lower the car to level and let the oil continue to drain until it stops. The level will be just right. Then jack up the car until you can replace the plug. Lower the car and you are done.

Same for the differential, except jack up the car at the rear.

The reason for this procedure is that if you cannot get under the car to undo the plug without jacking it up, the finger method alone is going to give you an incorrect reading because the level of the tranmission oil on the fill hole side of the car (jacked up) will be well below the hole. If you fill the transmission and replace the plug at that point, you will obviously over-fill the transmission.

If you can get under the car while it is level, then the finger method will work just fine.

If you drain your transmission and you have an overdrive, it is a good idea to remove the overdrive plug as well and drain the entire unit. And, as you may know, the transmission and the overdrive are filled through the same fill hole (the one on the side of the transmission).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ed, I'm really surprised that you are recommending getting under a car that is only supported by a jack. But you are quite right, the car needs to be reasonably level to get an accurate check.

That said, I've never found oil level in the trans or diff to be all that critical. And my driveway slopes enough that if I jack up the low end (and put jackstands under it), the car isn't too badly off level.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
I've never found oil level in the trans or diff to be all that critical.
Not that I have any [cough] first-hand experience, but it is amazing how low the oil level can get without causing any real harm. Also, it's equally amazing how sometimes just adding the oil up to the correct level can "cure" a multitude of sins. Again, not that I have any [cough, cough] first-hand experience.... :rolleyes: