• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Checking B's tranny oil

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
So I pulled up the carpet and found the 'plug" and removed it. Appears it hasn't been pulled in many moons.
Dip stick? Do you access the dip stick from below? Is the "plug" only
for filling? I can't believe a dip stick could be pulled out of that "plug" hole. I can envision sticking a funnel through it to fill the
tranny but my goodness it would take a teeny tiny set of fingers to get in that hole.
The owner's manual seems to suggest pull the plug and check the dip stick without mention of going underneath.
I'm driving it to a lift at the service station tomorrow to give the underside a good inspection and greasing the girl up.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I don't think your '71 has a dipstick (my '69 doesn't).

You just unscrew the side plug and fill until it starts to overflow.
Then you're "full".

You can buy a hand-operated oil pump or just use an old gear-oil bottle with a piece of plastic hose attached (squeeze the bottle to fill trans).
(always best to have car level when filling).
Use 20W-50 motor oil in the trans, by the way.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Thanks! I have a transfer pump I'll take with me just in case.
I bought it several years ago for filling the transfer case of my Cruiser.
It's dang near impossible to fill that sucker without one.
Again thanks for sharing your knowledge, my friend.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If its original there is a dipstick in there. Chrome bumper MGBs had dipsticks and rubber bumper had the fill plug. They are a pain if you have a radio in the car. Everything is done from the passenger compartment. Once you get the dipwand out tie a piece of small rope to it and it will make removal easier in the future. Bob

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
bob67bgt said:
If its original there is a dipstick in there. Chrome bumper MGBs had dipsticks and rubber bumper had the fill plug. They are a pain if you have a radio in the car. Everything is done from the passenger compartment. Once you get the dipwand out tie a piece of small rope to it and it will make removal easier in the future. Bob

I'll see tomorrow. The B was "rebuilt" several years ago. I think in 2002 or so. Maybe it has a different tranny. In any event an inspection whilst on a lift should be revealing.
I'll post my observations after the inspection. I may take pics, which should make the good ol boys at the service station cackle with laughter.
They think I'm nuts already.
They are the guys who asked my wife "Where's ol David and that Screamin'
Mimi of his?" Hence the name for my Bugeye.
:crazy:

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Well, that was fun. There is a dipstick. It is the only way to
fill the tranny. AFTER you remove the radio console you can access the dang thing. That procedure did in fact generate much laughter and ribbing.
"No wonder we had to save their butts in two wars!" "They were probably
to busy servicing their equipment to fight." "That'll teach you to buy
American!" All in good fun. It was 1/2 quart low. Good thing I have a transfer pump. It wouldn't be impossible to fill without one but it sure would have been harder.
Diff was fine and we greased her up whilst she was on the lift.

MGjoc

Once you have the dip stick out, put a zip tie thru the loop on the top of the stick but not tight, just loose, that will make it much easier to extract the next time you need to. Also, most auto parts stores sell a very simple device which is nothing more than a plastic tube with a cap on one end which screws onto a bottle of oil and the other end is then inserted (by feel) into the transmission fill (dip stick) hole and this makes adding oil to the tranny/OD a simple, mess free job. There is no need to remove the radio console.

Cheers - Dennis

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
MGjoc said:
Once you have the dip stick out, put a zip tie thru the loop on the top of the stick but not tight, just loose, that will make it much easier to extract the next time you need to. Also, most auto parts stores sell a very simple device which is nothing more than a plastic tube with a cap on one end which screws onto a bottle of oil and the other end is then inserted (by feel) into the transmission fill (dip stick) hole and this makes adding oil to the tranny/OD a simple, mess free job. There is no need to remove the radio console.

Cheers - Dennis
Well my big old hands needed the extra space pulling the radio console forward provided. No biggie. I think I will tie a zip tie on the dipstick next time. :wink:

The transfer pump makes the filling a no mess snap.

A

aerog

You <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> get to the dipstick from under the car. Reach around the transmission and push up on it. I've helped with a couple (and mine) that were really stubborn and couldn't easily be lifted out (they didn't have a tie or string on them) but a gently push from the bottom and they pop right out.

raybigdog

Freshman Member
If I may piggyback on this...I got as far as pulling the dipstick, draining the oil and even getting the screws out of the overrive filter cover--but now I can't get the cover loose. Anybody know any tricks for gettng that thing off?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tiny screwdriver & hammer - they stick to the gasket.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With CARE the thing will come loose. Have some Hylomar to hand when you reassemble. :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, yeah! That gasket's gonna be so hard it'll break when you remove the cover....has something to do with oil & heat!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nevermind AGE!!! :smirk:

You can recreate a gasket from a piece of packaging cardboard of similar thickness: just have a pencil and X-acto knife handy. And that Hylomar.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Hap Waldrop said:
David remember your MGB tranny takes motor oil, not gear oil, use 20/50 or SAE30.

I used 20-50. Thanks !

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I made a tool with a small "T" top and a hook on the bottom to pull the dip stick up. Putting it back in is no problem. I also use a small hand operated pump to add oil if needed. Being double jointed is also a help. :thumbsup: