• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brakes and Bleeding

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
First pump of the pedal goes almost all of the way to the floor. Second pump firm pedal. Third pump all of the way up. This appears to have been a new Master Cylinder on Bugsy IV along with all new Wheel Cylinders. I added new hoses all around. Shoes feel about as tight as I can make them. Have bled two or three times. Today by myself with help from Mity-Vac. Is there anything with the pedal adjustment screw I need to worry about. Not going all of the way back and allowing MC to refill properly. Looks ok visually and there is far more than 5/32" of pedal movement before brake rod begins to move. other than finding a Brake Bleeding Assistant today what am I missing. I've never had an issue with bleeding brakes before.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ok worked and worked and now have a better pedal. Still not like having discs but I at least have a 1/2 pedal that is firm on first p[ush and second push all the way up. Discovered rear beehive spring rolling around inside the drum. All bent to crap. Need to dig up a spare from someone local.

dklawson

Yoda
I know you said you had the shoes adjusted as much as you thought you dared. However, the symptoms are consistent with shoes that need adjusting. Remember the wheels should not be able to freewheel multiple turns when spun by hand. They should top rotating within about one revolution and there should be mildly audible scraping of the shoes on the drums.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There is mildly audible scraping for sure. Need to get another beehive spring from local LBC Shop on Tuesday, put it back together and go drive.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Spring obtained, reinstalled, back in service. Off Jackstands tomorrow, and a real test drive for Bugsy IV

BTW - Ohio License Plates arrived that read BUGSY IV He is now legal.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Time to update my Avatar

dklawson

Yoda
And how were the brakes? Did they bed in a little on your drive?

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got 1/2 a block. Major clunk noise in driveline when shifting. Not a little, a major clunk I heard and felt. Guessing Driveshaft bolts not tightened down. But **** did Bugsy feel Spritely with a whole lot of oomph in second gear. Brakes still an issue, will take things up another notch all around and see if that helps and try some gravity bleeding. Time to put back up on jackstands again.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Oh and if all else fails, Bugsy could make a trip to visit Steve Miller at MG Automotive, LBC's only, 4 miles away. I do have local help available and like I've repeated sometimes the best tool in your checkbook is your credit card. I need some professional help to dial in timing and carbs but they feel pretty good right now. And advice on brakes would be good at this time. He did tell me to check fitting of brake rod with spring stop. Fun, fun, fun. I want to go drive Bugsy. Temp Tags are now mounted, well actually taped to the rear of the car.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Brakes and Bleeding - Found the issue

View attachment 44879Found the issue - Team Can someone tell me what they see wrong with this photo. Issue with Brakes will be fixed with the addition of two critical parts. My DUH Moment in finding out another thing that the DPO did incorrectly. And I know I have one of these available. Just need to dig it out.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
At least the hole is round!
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Who would've thought to look at that. Now to find one and a small cotter pin in the parts box. It's always the little things. Details, details, details. Now to figure out clunk when shifting. Swapping the driveshaft is on the agenda for Saturday. Bill M. says he can reach in there and his arm of long enough to guide in the driveshaft. Not sure if he is suggesting coming in from the length of the tranny tunnel ala Breeding Mares a Dirty Jobs Episode or coming in via shifter removed access. I don't think my size 31 in-sleeve will get there from the end of the tranny tunnel.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So you are reaching up the tranny tunnel rather than going in from gearshift lever correct.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is like when a vet reaches into a cow to assist in the birth of a calf.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Nelson I'll be attempting to do just that tomorrow.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Clevis Pin and a Cotter pin did the trick. In fact I found the wayward CLevis pin in side the pedal box under the spring. Looks like DAPO did install just forgot the cotter pin. Strong Pedal, firm, have not driven yet but I believe issue is fixed. Working on DS Door finally figured out issue with door closing was a bent hinge. Now it aligns and opens and shuts correctly. Details, more fettling. Next major challenge will be generator lamp being on. Could be simply a polarity issue, I hope.