• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adjustable steering column?

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am wondering if it would be possible to convert a two-piece column to an adjustable column. Are the parts available anywhere? What are the pros and cons? Just thinking I might like to try. My first TR ('62 3B) had one and I remember that I liked it.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

To answer your question, I'm not sure. It seems it depends upon if you want to swap out the entire steering column and steering box or just the steering wheel. If the adjustable steering wheel splines match up to the split shaft inner column it might be possible. Otherwise I beleive you will need to change the steering box, inner and outer steering columns.

It is often said the adjustable steering wheel adjust between very close and too close to the driver.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you have the two-piece column, then I believe it can be done without modifying the box or lower column. You'll need the upper inner shaft and stator tube, plus of course the adjustable steering wheel and control head (the head is different too). I'm not certain offhand about the upper outer column, but I kind of think it is the same. The extra thickness of the adjustable wheel hub is why the farthest adjustable position is still closer than the fixed position.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
The extra thickness of the adjustable wheel hub is why the farthest adjustable position is still closer than the fixed position.
I've heard it said that the adjustment usually ranges from too close to WAY too close. Personally, I've never had any experience with the adjustable column, so I'm only passing along what I've heard. :smile:

OP
Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had an adjustable column on a '62 TR3B, and actually I liked the closeness of the wheel. I was 19 at the time and now I'm 70 but my belly is about the same size. I have the split column but I have just never seen these parts advertised in classifieds or on ebay. I also prefer the "Y" configuration of the spokes as opposed to the "T" on the static wheel.

Country flag
As Randall mentions, all you need is the upper tube shaft, tube and steering wheel. Stator tube is longer than the fixed wheel assembly. The control head should work the same. It will slide up and down in the slot on the stator tube.

Marv

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The "adjustable" control head has a much longer stub sticking out behind, to make the slot longer than the range of travel. The stator tube is correspondingly shorter, with a longer slot.

Here's a shot that shows the stub of a non-adjustable control head:

And here's a photo from eBay, showing the long stub:
Adjustable control head from eBay.JPG

PS, here's the shot from Mark Macy's web site, showing the difference in the slots
StatorTube.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've heard it said that the adjustment usually ranges from too close to WAY too close. Personally, I've never had any experience with the adjustable column, so I'm only passing along what I've heard. :smile:

I've driven TR3s with adjustable columns and at 6'2", I find that they are too close to WAY too close. The adjustable wheel's most forward position starts out closer to the driver then the non-adjustable wheel. Also, the adjustable wheel is prone to deterioration much more so then the the standard wheel. My buddy with a TR3B repaired his using a wheel restoration kit as it wasn't too far gone. But I've seen some of them in really bad shape. You can recognize the adjustable wheels as they have evenly spaced banjo stringers...and are usually well decayed. :shocked:

Edit: Here's an adjustable wheel that popped up on ebay in the UK, and if you look carefully, you can see what usually happens to them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I... I was 19 at the time and now I'm 70 but my belly is about the same size...

Either you developed a beer gut while still a teenager or are to be congratulated on taking care of yourself.

My first TR3A had the adjustable wheel and I much prefer the non-adjustable. I have heard the argument in favor of a closer steering wheel: If you are carrying a heavy weight is it easier to manage with it held close to your chest or at arm's length?

But I drove Fiats before I had TRs and just learned to like the straight-arm approach vs the elbows-out style.

OP
Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would have to admit, to my shame, that I have not taken particularly good care. At 6'5", I have my seat back as far as it will go which is against what used to be the jump seat. Therefore I would still be rather straight armed. Plus I do prefer the
"Y" spokes as opposed to the "T".

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
congrads on keeping the same waist size in all those years. Ironically I bought my TR3 with an adjustable steering wheel at 19 years old too (and still have it). But at the rate I'm growing when I hit 70 I'll need to trade you my adjustable column for your flat wheel if you can wait 13 more years.