• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A - Converting Adjustable Steering Wheel to Standard?

Lbp

I am thinking about converting my adjustable steering wheel in my '58 TR3A to the standard wheel. The steering wheel has a broken spoke and, after checking eBay daily for 6 months, I've yet to see an adjustable wheel come up for auction. I don't want to lose function of the horn/turn signal control head. Has anyone here done this? What is involved? New parts? Cost? Difficulty? How much distance to the wheel will I gain? Thanks for any help.

Bill

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I haven't done it myself; but the control head should be no problem. I'm reasonably certain that you can just continue to use the adjustable version of the tube & head.

However, the rest may not be so easy. Obviously the shaft where the wheel fits is different, so you'll need to change that. May be hard to find if you have the earlier 'solid' column. The later 'split' columns are much more common, but still only available used AFAIK.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bill, I am interested in converting the other way (fixed to adjustable). I have the split column and would like to perhaps trade parts. Is there any possibility of your wheel being repairable?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
There are a couple of other possibilities. You can get an aftermarket wheel and hub from places like Moss that have hubs that will still allow you to use your original horn and trafficator. Not exactly a cheap way to go, but if you like wood or leather style wheels, it's a nice alternative. You can see the wood one I have in my avatar...No, the R&P steering precluded the use of the original trafficator, but if I retained the original steering, I could have used it.

The other possibility is just to have your old wheel restored. Just Google "Steering Wheel Restoration", and a bunch of places that do it will pop up.

Edit: The avatar is a bit small. Here's a bigger pic

IMG_8058.JPG

OP
Lbp

Lbp

Phil:

One of the 12 spokes is snapped right next to the hub. I don't know if it is repairable or not. I need to do some research (hence this thread) regarding what is involved in swapping out one for the other. I believe there are some differences in the shaft, but I'm not sure how much has to be changed and how difficult a job it is. One solution for the wheel is to have Macy's Garage build a wooden one out of it. Not cheap, but something I'm seriously considering.

Bill

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bill,

I just received my Macy's wheel - like you say, not cheap, but man does it look awesome!

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I also have an telescopic/adjustable steering wheel assembly on my TR3. My understanding is that the grips on these wheels were made of a different material than the standard ones and were prone to breaking. The metal inner ring in my grip broke and came apart as I was driving. Scary!

I plan to have the wheel rebuilt (https://www.pearlcraft.com.au/welcome.htm) but in the mean time I have replaced it with a period correct 15" Moss brand "Touring Wheel" (489-080). You will also have to get a new adjustable Moto Lita hub, also supplied by Moss. (sorry I dont have the part number)

Note:
-The Moss brand of adjustable hub does not accomodate the TR3 horn assembly. The set screws that secure the horn assembly in place do not fit over the metal disc that slides into the stator tube. I learnt this the hard way as they shipped me the wrong one, and I spent quite a few hours taking it on and off (not fun if you have ever tried this) before calling Moss and speaking to a technician. The hole in the steering wheel is also fractionally too small to fit onto the hub and had to be enlarged with a file. No big deal.
-The adjustable hub is secured inplace on the steering column by two bolts rather than a collar as on the original wheel. Also no big deal as once installed I have not needed to readjust (see picture)
-If you get too large of a steering wheel the grip may be closer to the dash than you are comfortable with, as when fully pushed away it is 2" closer to the dash. I think 15" is ideal. A little smaller than the original but still big enough to pull the wheel around. Attached are two pictures of the set up. Hope this helps

a.jpgb.jpg

OP
Lbp

Lbp

After a year of looking, I finally snagged an adjustable wheel on eBay. It was in poor shape with several cracks, a 1/4" gap with the metal core visible, and the material where the spokes meet the outer ring was cracked and raised. After viewing a couple of videos on youtube, I am attempting my own restoration. I'm about half-way through and it's looking pretty good. Very similar to dentistry - drill out the bad area and fill it with epoxy, sand it down and paint it.

Bill

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
After a year of looking, I finally snagged an adjustable wheel on eBay. It was in poor shape with several cracks, a 1/4" gap with the metal core visible, and the material where the spokes meet the outer ring was cracked and raised. After viewing a couple of videos on youtube, I am attempting my own restoration. I'm about half-way through and it's looking pretty good. Very similar to dentistry - drill out the bad area and fill it with epoxy, sand it down and paint it.

Bill

I did the same only using body filler. The repairs are completely hidden after 3 years. The only thing to watch is you cannot drive a painted steering wheel wearing rings, as they will scar the paint.

OP
Lbp

Lbp

I plan on covering the paint with a sealant, and then with a leather cover, The wheel is awfully skinny by modern standards. Also, I don't think my wife would appreciate "honey, I took my wedding ring off so I don't damage the steering wheel in the Triumph." LOL

Bill

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I plan on covering the paint with a sealant, and then with a leather cover,
I'll throw in a plug for the Wheelskins covers. They look good, feel good, and last a long time. They don't have a stock size that will fit, but they will cut to your measurements for basically the same price. I got mine through their store on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheelskins...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ac0f40936

It does take some time to install, figure on about an hour and wear something to protect your fingers during the process. It's important to pull the laces as tight as you can after every stitch. (I opted for the "baseball" stitch, it might go a little quicker if you use a single needle stitch.)

OP
Lbp

Lbp

Randall:

Thanks for the head's up! It turns out Wheelskins is in Berkeley, just a few miles from where I live. I spoke to them and they said if I bring the wheel by there, they can custom make a cover for me in 15 minutes!

Bill

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I would have liked to do this, BUT the metal ring in my steering wheel is actually broken. If I had two more like this I could perform a variation on the "Chineese Linking Ring Trick"
My earlier blog referenced Pearlcraft as one place to have a steering wheel rebuilt. They are very expensive and would be interested if anyone knows of another quality outfit

OP
Lbp

Lbp

The guy that sold me my adjustable wheel that I'm currently restoring has another on eBay right now, though I believe his pics are actually of the one I purchased.

bill

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
On a rigid column car with adjustable steering, the inner column is a different item from the fixed steering inner column. Also the adjustable steering outer column is 1.25" longer than the fixed steering outer column. Most likely easier to obtain a complete rigid fixed column and rebuild the steering box if necessary. Then sell off the complete adjustable column and steering box.

It's an easier conversion on later split column cars where only the upper columns need swapping out.

Control Heads were different items. The adjustable type has its own wiring carrier tube that slides back and forth in the stator tube when the steering wheel is adjusted. It's probably possible to swap wiring carrier tubes if you can get one from an old fixed steering Control Head.

Viv.

JimTR3B

Freshman Member
If anyone has a upper half of the adjustable inner steering shaft I can sure use one. I moved to LA from Tampa and somewhere in the Desert there is a cactus with a steering shaft sticking thru it, so I am about 80% on my restoration for my '62 TR3B with not shaft. Help!!!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Jim,

Looked for one for you at the British Car Flea Market yesterday and asked around...none to be had...Sorry!

Tush