• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well, it was only 16 degrees, but I took her out

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I had to go visit a guy parting out some TR6's to buy some spares this morning and I started getting the urge to drive the TR6 again. I wasn't going to take it to his shop, due to the weather, no bumpers and major highways to be traveled with nuts on cells phones weaving all over in BIG SUV's.

Anyhow, to make a short story longer, I started it up (a little slow from sitting in the cold for 3 weeks and no battery charger) and left it warm up for awhile, then proceeded to drive a very nice 20 miles around the back roads near my home. The reliable TR6 heater was blasting and it was really great even though the 38 lbs of air in the tires kept me bouncing a bit.

I wanted to get it out because my bumpers are scheduled to be done at NuChrome next week and it's off to the body shop after those are finally home again.

No more ugly black guards and I'm going to leave the front license frame off as long as I can.

roofman

Jedi Knight
You win the BCF polar bear badge. Thanks for the ? response, am spending my day tracing wiring.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
<span style="color: #330099"><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>You are a brave sole!

Paul I find that my car does not perform as well in temps lower than 35 degrees,

although I do have the webber twin dgv on my car Tr6.
These were jusy recently re-jetted by John at Quantum.
They run just fine in warmer temps.
does this have to do with the airs specific gravity </span></span>
</span>

DSC05928aaa.jpg

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill, I did have a few stalls early on as I drove into a couple of quick u-turns and dead stops after. I think I may have to bump up the idle, just a hair for the winter. It has a nice lumpy idle at 750RPM, but that may be pushing it a bit.

Almost nobody better than John on just about anything British. He did my Overdrive conversion and it worked perfectly today, even in the dead cold weather. I got really lucky when I found Erik at Her Majesty's Service, up this way to do my tricky and heavy stuff. They are both in a class above the others.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Were just very lucky to have these knowledgable individules close by.

this may be a question for a new post,
"warmer and colder performance ratios..."

by the way John did my ford 5 speed over the summer, awesome!

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Re: Well, it was only 16 degrees, but I took her o

Way to go, Paul.

Twenty degrees F is my personal lower limit so far. I try to drive mine every clear, salt-free day I can in the winter. That usually adds up to about eighteen days in SW Ohio, most of them well below freezing. With Castrol 20W50 goo in the crankcase, you hope that it starts on the second or third try because your crankshaft thinks it's turning in pudding (it is).

My car always starts easily in cold weather, and runs better than it does in the summer. In July and August I drive with one eye on the road and the other on the temp gauge, especially in stop-and-start traffic. Maybe this will be the year I finally install those silly little cardboard air deflectors--I know I should. These cars were intended for fair-weather fun, but they forgot to tell us you gotta keep movin'!

Regards,

G

Brosky said:
no bumpers

Hey Paul, this doesn't qualify you as "another bumperless TR6", does it?

T

Tinster

Paul, you got stones Dude!!

My doctor has informed if I will
die a painful death if exposed to
weather conditions lower than 70*F
and no bikini babes on the beach.

Forget the front tag. The Crypt Car
was dead so many months I forget to put
the renewed license sticker in the front
window. A cop came over to admire the Beast
and never said a word about the expired
tags---- clearly in his view.

Paul, you got "tres huevos" !! LOL

d

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Ya know, Bill, I believe that it does!

Well, gol-lee, as Gomer would say.....

R6MGS

Yoda

I had mine out today as well....warmest day we've had in the last two weeks, but still below freezing....Since I haven't installed the new seats yet I just rolled it off the driveway and let it run for awhile while I did my best to get the snow and ice off of it(we had some nasty freezing rain last night). It started good and idled a little lumpy at around 800rpm then evened out once warm. I tried the heater and it works well to(fan is a little loud thou)and with the hardtop it warms up nicely in there.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

We were up above freezing, to a whole 33f today. I'd have liked to drive today, but the Tunebug is buried and somewhat apart. That, and all the road salt! I remember winters in RI, Paul (born an raised, in Scituate -- Parents still in Smithfield). Good on you for the drive.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

Geez....we drove these cars all year when they were new...

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

My wife never did. It stayed at home in her parents garage when she was at school and the weather got snowy and the salt came out here in NE. I think that this is the coldest that it's ever seen on the road. The garage isn't heated (yet) so the cold is no stranger. She never drove it in the snow at all and it hasn't seen rain too many times either.

It's a good thing, because if I had been around then, I probably would have taken it out no matter what.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Drew, nice to hear from a former Rhode Islander. I hope that your folks are doing well. The BMCNE meets weekly on Friday nights in the summer at the Gazebo in Scituate for the driving events and picnics, so I know it well. Nice to have you here!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I'll be back east late in the summer this year for my cousin's wedding, might have to see if you're having a get-together while I'm in town.

I remember that gazebo well, many a high school band concert there. The elementary school behind the gazebo is where I went to school. Still have fond memories of Famous Pizza, just up the street from there.

R6MGS

Yoda

YankeeTR said:
Geez....we drove these cars all year when they were new...

I remember dem days....My idea of a practical winter beater was a Spitfire with a hardtop and some sandbags in the the trunk.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Email me prior to your coming so we can get together if you have the time. I'll get you the schedule from BMCNE as soon as you can let me know the dates. The NE Triumphs or Cape Cod clubs may have something going then as well.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Will do. The August trip may be a real quicky, depending on work and such.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Paul
opposite conditions here. We (my TR6 and me) stayed home this weekend, it reached a max of 42C, hottest Jan in 9 years. Since my beautifully engineered Lucas fuel pump boils the fuel when outside temps exceed 36C, there was no option of driving it anyway......
Regards
Craig

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hmmmmm. Craig, I don't know if I want to swap with you now that I know about that problem!