• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suspension Question

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
I should flog myself for not knowing this answer but did MGBs come with regular shocks in the rear and not the medieval device they used as shock?

Reason I am asking is that the rear of "Bitsa" has regular gas shocks but the fronts have the aforementioned medieval.

So if the rear gas shock is an "upgrade" why would PO leave the fronts standard?

A

aerog

No. They used lever shocks all around.

I thought it was more typical to have conversions from lever-shocks on the front and not the rear so, that's unusual I'd think.

(or maybe not, apparently :smile: )

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Conventional, for MG, shocks in the rear through end of production I believe. Get a second opinion. Converting the rear is easier, which is why it was probably done but not the fronts.

I'd make sure it is a good/solid/sage conversion.

They work pretty well in good condition, give Peter at NOS Import a ring and he'll get you sorted.

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
This car defies any and all conventions.

We have fiberglass floors here too and it seems to have had a roll bar at some point in it's life.

Another question, on the classicconversion for V6, how are the bolts attached for the transmission mount? I am in the middle of removing the V6 and T5 conversion but the bolts that holds the transmission bar to the under-body has s fair amount of rust.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With most conversions all bets are off. There are probably a lot of different ways to bolt up that thing. ou'll need to do it by the "Braille Method"... a bit at a time and feel your way thru.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
There is no shock setup availabe that is better suited for street use than the original lever shocks if they are in good working order. Tube shocks are not a upgrade they are a bandaid to a proper repair. At least thats what I think! Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Less diplomatic but a certain truth IMO, Bob. :wink:

Steve_S

Yoda
Tube shocks are not an upgrade, they are a change. The design of the MGB does not allow an easy change to tube shocks without potentially dramatic side effects. Most (not all) people who convert to tube shocks with the usual kits end up changing back due to the hard ride they encounter. The reason for this is that there is little room for mounting tube shocks at the angles they were designed for. With a lot of experimentation and modification, tube shocks can work just as well if not better than levers but the potential gains are not worth the time, money and effort in my opinion. If you are the type who likes a challenge and enjoys fiddling with your car, then perhaps tube shocks are for you. If you simply want to install a set of shocks and have everything work properly out of the box then use the factory design.

Fronts are another matter altogether. Since the front lever shocks on most M.G.s also incorporate the upper suspension arms, there is no "good" way to add a tube shock without replacing parts. The usual tube front conversion is to a coil-over setup. Moss is selling two shock kits (shock conversion only, no suspension parts) for $510 and $600. With suspension parts their price is $2000. At this point you're spending a lot of money and changing the character of the car, so it's up to each individual whether or not this is a good path to take.

In good order, lever shocks work perfectly well for 98% of MGB owners. Problem is, after 40 years most tube shocks are not working properly. It amazes me that so many berate their ill-functioning lever shocks which have been working hard for many decades, yet don't blink an eye at replacing five to ten year old tube shocks on their modern car.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is install a full new set of remanufactured lever shocks from Worldwide Imports. They work as well if not better than new originals, and come with a lifetime warranty against leaks or defects.

Yep lever shocks is the best bang for the buck, and they can be rebuilt by folks like Peter Caldwell to better than new specs. Most of the cheap bolt on tube shocks kits used shocks from heavier cars, and make a MGB ride worse than ever, most of these kits are a waste of money in my view. The only upgrade to the lever shocks I see as improvement is some of the well engineered coil over kits offered like the ones Bill Guzman offers and the Fast Car fornt set up is nice as well, fiquire on spending some fairy big bucks to do this, all in all it's real hard to beat lever shocks on thes cars, while they may seem different to someone new to these cars, they are a very solid design and of much higher quailty than most cheap tube shocks. American cars for years used lever shocks as well, the only reason tube shocks were invented is because they were cheaper to make.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If somone wants to try a higher end front end conversion I have a friend with a Hopkins??? set up from England. It has complete upper A arms that take the place of the lever shock. I think he has the matching set from the same supplier for the rear. I just asked him earlier today if he wanted me to take them to Carlisle import swap meet in a couple of weeks. If there is no interest here then look for them at Carlisle. I have not asked him about pricing but it will be a very fair number! Bob

Country flag
I look at it this way....they worked for the engineers who designed the car and worked from when it was new until now...so stick with what works! And if they're not working, rebuild them so they do! :laugh:

$0.02 <--- there's my two cents! LoL