• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A question about suspension, brakes, etc.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I received this via email today and thought I'd answer it in the forum and email him the link:

Basil:
I too am the owner of a 67 Jaguar E-type. I have several questions I hope you can answer.
1-What finish was on the upper and lower wishbones from the factory. My cars componets were painted black. The paint washed off in my spray cab parts cleaner. I have pictures of so called original cars with black wishbones, but Porter's book said they were zinc plated and neutralized. Did you have your's re-plated?

2-Have you up-rated your brakes? I would like to use series 2 , three pot calipers as did Patton on his 66 when restored in Jaguar World magazine. Problem is, no-one tells what parts are needed and if it's a bolt on conversion. The brakes on my car are pretty good, but I'd like a little more stopping power without going to CooperCraft to some other aftermarket unit.
3-How do you access the right-angle speedometer drive on the transmission. I can't see it from the bottom, thought maybe you get to it by removing the transmission cover from inside the car.
4-I'm in the process of rebuilding the front suspension and steering column, etc. Did you replace the torsion bars on your car? My car sat level and seemed to have no problems with excessive sag, and because of the expense I thought I would re-use them. What's your opinion? I am installing new poly bushings and new shocks, ball joints , and re-building the rack.
4-One other thing I was considering was a replacement fan/motor assembly from CoolCat corp. Mounts on stock fan motor bracket and has a multi bladed fan, price is 120 dollars. Have you had any feedback on this product?
I could go on here for hours I guess, so will close and hope you have the time and patience to respond to my questions.
Many Thanks
Darrold

Darrold, hope you don't mind my posting this and replying here in the forums. Its free to join and I would love to have another etype guy onboard! Now to your questions,

1. I am fairly certain that the wishbones were NOT painted. Mine (which are as original) are simply plain looking cast Aluminium. They may have been zinc plated, but of so it was a non-color plating (or neutral, as you mentione). It was this way on both my current 67 OTA and my previous 67 FHC.

2. The only uprating I've done on the brakes is to use slotted and cross drilled rotors. I'm going to use my original calipers and have them re-sleaved in stainless steel. If you want to prate the calipers (at least the fronts), I recommend the Wilwood kit (as sold by Classic Jaguars, Austin TX amoung other places). I've hear very good things about this upgrade.

3. Right-Angle drive? If memory serves, it is easiest to get to as you suggest - remove the tranny tunnel.

4. I am in the process of rebuiling by front/rear suspension as well. I plan to re-use my current torsion bar, but am going to an uprated sway bar. I also installed the poly bushings. Whether to replace the torsion bar is really a judgement call...I'm not, because it is still in great shape. I also am replacing my shocks (front & rear) with Team CJ billet aluminium shocks. They are not cheap, but they are beautiful, are adjustable for both ride height AND firmness while still on the car, and they have a lifetime warrenty. Here's a picture of the rears (with uprated springs):
cjshocks.jpg

I have to info on the cooling fan you mentioned. I have an after-market fan on mine but it fixes to the radiator. Where can you buy this one? I'd like to check it out.

Cheers,
Basil
savewave.gif

PS - if you're not yet registered, please do and then reply here in the forum!
grin.gif

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
There is a hole with a large rubber plug in the trans tunnel though the P.O. used tin snips and made a flap that can be pulled back to make access easier as the hole isn't really large enough . With 63000 mi. on mine , I felt the tortion bars were fine and didn't replace them. I believe I've read that there are adapters needed to use S II breaks. The guys at Classic Jaguar probably know for sure. Team CJ. I also have a auxilary fan that mounts onto the radiator inside the fan shroud. I upgraded the radiator to an aluminum one and that has really made it run so much cooler.
hammer.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 66 fhc:
There is a hole with a large rubber plug in the trans tunnel though the P.O. used tin snips and made a flap that can be pulled back to make access easier as the hole isn't really large enough . With 63000 mi. on mine , I felt the tortion bars were fine and didn't replace them. I believe I've read that there are adapters needed to use S II breaks. The guys at Classic Jaguar probably know for sure. Team CJ. I also have a auxilary fan that mounts onto the radiator inside the fan shroud. I upgraded the radiator to an aluminum one and that has really made it run so much cooler.
hammer.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I like the alumnimum radiator idea. I may do that also when I get to that point.
thumbsup.gif

XJRpilot

Jedi Hopeful
basil.
you just had to post that pic and show off the team cj shocks, and make everybody jealous, didnt you?
tongue.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by XJRpilot:
basil.
you just had to post that pic and show off the team cj shocks, and make everybody jealous, didnt you?
tongue.gif
<hr></blockquote>

devilgrin.gif
They are lovely aren't they? I love the fact that you can adjust them for height and firmness both while they are still on the car! What a concept!

Basil
angel.gif

XJRpilot

Jedi Hopeful
you get what you pay for basil! i have spax shocks on my jag, but they are adjustable only for firmness. it helps if your a contortionist.
other than removing the road wheel to make the dial adjustment, you can also can squeeeeeeze under the car and to make the adjustment. watching a big guy like me do it is worth a few laughs. i try to stay away from the firm setting. it'll knock your teeth loose. mid-point is good for me. on the soft setting it literally floats. like on air. too soft for most of the normal roads. get a nice paved twisty turny road, and the midpoint setting really shines. i'm sure either the firm or soft setting would be just fine if all the roads were consistent in its smoothness. i do like the idea of a height adjustment though. anyway, your team cj's are just beautiful. totally fitting for a e-type.

r67cat

Country flag
Unless they changed the front wish bone material from the earlier series cars to the series 2. The front suspension is a steel forging not alunimium.(check it with a magnent). Mine were a zinc color. I bead blasted them back to bare metal(which is a aluminium looking color) and then powder coated them with silver powder coat. This is a very clean look that is very easy to maintain, and looks correct.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by r67cat:
Unless they changed the front wish bone material from the earlier series cars to the series 2. The front suspension is a steel forging not alunimium.(check it with a magnent). Mine were a zinc color. I bead blasted them back to bare metal(which is a aluminium looking color) and then powder coated them with silver powder coat. This is a very clean look that is very easy to maintain, and looks correct.<hr></blockquote>

Your probably right about that. Mine probably just look like cast alum due to being bead blasted at one time.