• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire-rear suspension question

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I need some help from the Spitfire experts.

I have been cleaning up the rear axles on the 1980 Freespit.
The left side went fine. But when I pump grease into the housing on the right side, I get a really skinny string of grease oozing out a tiny hole on top of the housing. The first side didn't do this. Is there supposed to be a hole on top? It may be preventing any grease from reaching the large bearing. I suppose I could pop a weld onto it if I need to and seal it up. Fortunatley both sides seem to be OK with no play so looks like I won''t be pulling off the hubs.

BTW the axles are off the car and on my workbench.

TIA

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bill - by 'housing' I assume you mean the trunnion, and as far as I know, there should not be a hole in the top of the trunnion.

As Andy mentions, a little grease oozing out there or at the back (inner) seal is not a big issue. A concern would be grease coming out the front (outside) seal and getting onto the brakes or drum.

I think I would just plug up the hole with some epoxy or JB weld or something that will hold the pressure of the grease.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There should be a slot like hole for grease to escape. Maybe there is so much crude there that it looks like a tiny hole? It the hole isn't there or is plugged up excess grease WILL squirt right into the brake drum. This cost me an almost brand new set of brake shoes.

OP
B

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes I guess I am talking about the trunnion. That's what I was going to call it, it just didn't seem correct.

The grease is not coming out from around the seal on the inner bearing or through the outer bearing. Any leak through the outer bearing SHOULD be diverted to the backside of the rear plate. The grease is definitely coming out a hole on top. As I was removing the axle, I thought it had an awful lot of grease on the trunnion. That's why. Just not sure why one would have the hole and one wouldn't. I think I'm going to plug it somehow.

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
billspit said:
Just not sure why one would have the hole and one wouldn't. I think I'm going to plug it somehow.
I've never seen one with a hole in the top, and I can't imagine what one would be useful for. Very strange.

There's nothing 'structural' there, and I think just plugging it would seem to be the best answer.

OP
B

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I popped a tack weld on the hole last night and pumped more grease in. It oozed out around the outer seal. That's better than before I guess.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
billspit said:
Yes I guess I am talking about the trunnion. That's what I was going to call it, it just didn't seem correct.
Technically, it's not correct. The "trunnion" should refer only to that part of the rear hub assembly where the vertical link pivots. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
IMHO;Squirting grease is just a normal sign of a FULL fitting.Its a pressure release hole with a built-in purpose.Drather have it squirt through the leach hole than be breaking a seal right?You`ve noticed when they lube your American cars front suspension how the grease pops out.Not to change the subject tho don't rear trunnions require oil?or grease.Did i inadvertantly open up another can of grease?(or worms here)I think Mr.Bentley says grease for the back trunnions & oil for the front.
Ken..After 3 paints & 3 strippings finally got the aluminum windscreen moulding restored to new with a beautiful BRIGHT rustoleum chrome finish that really captures the OEM factory brightness.,never thought they could reproduce bright aluminum in a rattle can.Even coated it with clear coat,i'll let it dry 3-4 days in the late summer sun before i pop rivet it back on.Cheers

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Again, "technically" the rear trunnions don't need anything on their nylon bushings. The rear HUBS (bearings therein) usually get grease, although there are those ex-factory employees who have noted that -- at some point originally -- hypoid oil was specified.

Regardless, what I've long found amusing at best is that Triumph (no doubt under the influence of the Leyland beancounters by that time) started installing brass plugs instead of grease "zerks" in some of those critical places (front trunnions, rear hubs, etc.); I find it hard to believe that the plugs v. grease fittings could have saved that much per car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
Andrew Mace said:
Regardless, what I've long found amusing at best is that Triumph (no doubt under the influence of the Leyland beancounters by that time) started installing brass plugs instead of grease "zerks" in some of those critical places (front trunnions, rear hubs, etc.); I find it hard to believe that the plugs v. grease fittings could have saved that much per car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Actually, a number of manufacturers do this to this day. Toyota, Honda, etc. Has do to with concerns of contamination and broken off zerk fittings. These concerns are mentioned in the factory service manuals.

All my Spitfires have a small pinhole on the top of the rear axle housing that squirts a thin line of grease when I regrease the rear ends.

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
foxtrapper said:
All my Spitfires have a small pinhole on the top of the rear axle housing that squirts a thin line of grease when I regrease the rear ends.
Wow, I must confess I've never seen this. Are yours early Spits? My 1500 and a previous 1500 original hubs, rebuilds and any spares I've seen do not have this pinhole.

When Bill first posted it occurred to me that it must have been manufactured that way, because I could not see why anyone would drill a hole in the top. But, other than showing you're getting grease into the housing, I can't see why it would have been put there. Maybe it was meant to give you an early-warning indicator to not force too much grease into the housing (and past the seals)?

OP
B

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
foxtrapper All my Spitfires have a small pinhole on the top of the rear axle housing that squirts a thin line of grease when I regrease the rear ends.[/quote said:
Thanks for the confirmation. It sure seemed to be made that way. Odd thing is one side had it and one didn't. I'm suspecting one side has been changed at some time. I'm quite sure neither side on my Mk I had the pinholes.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Odd thing is one side had it and one didn't. [/QUOTE]
I'll bet the other side does have it, and it's just painted over. It's just a pin hole, so it won't take much to block grease from coming up it.

All my Spitfires and suspension bits are late models.