• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire Rear Wheel Flanges-Common Problem or DPO?

dklawson

Yoda
I know getting the drive flanges off a Spitfire axle is a pain but when doing the task today on the left rear it was "extra" difficult.

When I finally got the flange off, it was obvious why it had been difficult. The key had sheared and the flange spun on the axle. There was material transferred from flange to axle and axle to flange effectively welding them together in spots. The odd thing is, 18 months ago I found almost the same failure on the right rear axle.

Is this a common failure mode on Spitfire axles or am I the victim of a previous owner who did not properly torque/seat the flange on the axle?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I suspect you're the victim of <span style="font-style: italic">something</span> the DPO did? Was there evidence that a key actually had been in place....or could it be that the DPO just torqued the living h-e-double-hockey sticks out of the nut in an attempt to cover up for some serious lack of brainpower? :smile:

Bottom line: I've never seen anything quite like what you describe!

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
On both sides the key was still present but split in two. On the left side there was evidence that the flange spun several times after the key sheared as the break was polished smooth.

On the right side (18 months ago) we heard bad sounds the first time we took the car up to speed. We ordered a bearing kit before driving again. When we tore that side down we found that the keyway had huge burrs kicked up on both sides (leading and trailing edges) on both the shaft and the inside of the flange. For the repair I bought a pair of axles from a NASS member who took pity on me.

On the left side, we did not hear any bad noises until recently. We were getting some bearing or u-joint ticks. I found the left side damage when tearing things apart to fit a new u-joint and wheel bearing. Like the right side, the flange appears to have spun on the shaft.

It is fortunate that I bought a pair of axles 18 months ago and not just the one I needed at the time.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Too much HP and oversized sticky rear tires... :p

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have done a hundred spitfire axles back when I was working with that stuff. I don't remember ever seeing one spun like that. Rather that they will burn bearings and destroy the axle. I have however had flanges completely deformed while pulling them off, and this is with the factory tool.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
So far between here and the NASS Yahoo group, only one other person has seen the failure I have seen and in that case they knew in hindsight that they didn't put the rear assembly back together correctly. Therefore, I am going to stick by my suspicion that my car is a victim of a previous owner.

Since I had used parts in hand that were in good condition I replaced the components today. I am happy to report that the left rear of the car is now relatively silent. Gone are the bearing or u-joint ticks that prompted me to take the rear end apart.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Those things are on there so tight I cannot envision a hub spinning on the axle. My vote is to blame the PO. If the PO was such a hack, it makes me wonder how they managed to get the hubs apart in the first place...