• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Right Hand Drive?????

Bob Legate

I've run across a 1970 TR6, right hand drive, factory fuel injection. I can't find any info on a fuel injected TR6. How rare are they? All things being equal, are they worth more or less than a comparable TR6 with carbs? The seller is asking a reasonable price but I'm just not sure if I want to fool with an early fuel injection system. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
On this side Hens teeth, ...well not quite that . But rare.
If the price is right jump on it.
but there inlays the problem,price.
The owner probably knows what he has.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
According to Piggott, roughly 15% of all TR6 were PI models. They were sold pretty much everywhere except the US, the carbed version was specifically to meet US emission standards. In fact, you might want to watch out for that. As I understand it, although the testing requirements have been dropped for older cars, it is still illegal to import a car newer than 1968 that has not been certified.

And, they are rare enough that there are some fakes around.

Another question to ask (assuming you plan to keep it in CA) is whether the fuel injection system has been converted to be ethanol-tolerant.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
To me, driving a rhd car in traffic is a problem, you will need a co-pilot to tell you when to make left turns with on coming traffic. I used to drive my old rhd sports racer on the street many years ago, kind of a hassle.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
............As I understand it, although the testing requirements have been dropped for older cars, it is still illegal to import a car newer than 1968 that has not been certified.

I just imported a 1983 British sports car that was never sold here. RHD of course. No problem.

There are actually a ton of cool cars you can bring in these days, if you want.

Your local state might have special laws that apply.

Here in NJ (which is generally pretty strict), the car can registered as a Historic Vehicle and limited to 2000 miles/year (but I could also register it normally as long as it can pass emissions specs for a similar '83 car).

Here's the relevant info from the US Customs website:

Generally, classic or antique vehicles are exempt from Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) pollution and safety requirements.
•If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation.
•A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation.

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Here in Aus all TR6's were Petrol Injected. I had one and nothing but trouble with the Lucas injection. Best to convert it to carburettors. A loss of HP but wont let you down.

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
A guy in our club(KC Triumphs) has a TR-5 He brought to the US from overseas. He had problems getting it to pass through emissions so he put carbs on it to pass the test. This was many years ago so I'm sure laws have changed. I can't remember how long ago he said but he sent the PI back over to some guy overseas to fix. I think the car is done now. Sorry it's very broad but I don't remember the details. I guess my word of advise would be to find out everything you need to do to make the car legal on the streets before purchasing. A PIA is a PIA so knowing all the trouble before you get into might be helpful.

daveu

Years ago I had a 1970 TR6 PI. It was left hand drive and come up from the Bahamas. It had lots of power and was brutal on fuel. I changed it over to the carb setup because of that, was young and didn't have much money, and it more than doubled the fuel mileage. It still had pretty good power as PI ones had a hotter cam and higher compression. Wish I had kept that car it was a really good one.