• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

removing front crossmember...

OK, I think I'm going to attempt it this weekend (if it stops raining for a while).

After I disconnect the front brake hoses, and remove the 4 bolts, is there anything else holding or hanging onto the front crossmember? What holds the cardboard sheild on - screws or rivets?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steering rack - Front sway bar.

Look up underneath the cardboard mud guard & you'll see a little bolt with a nut on it in the center.....in addition to the screws along the edge back up on top.

Be careful that the bolts holding the crossmember come out easily - the one closest to the exhaust is probably rusted solid & you may have yo undo it from underneath.

OP
kennypinkerton
Thanks Tony. I forgot about the swaybar. Isn't the steering rack mounted to the crossmember?

Gonna spray the bolts down with PB tomorrow evening when I get home from work.

I guess I need to tighten the nuts on the motor mount whil I've got it all out. I need to find my new driver's side motor mount around the house here too. It's been here for 5 years, forgot where I put it :crazy:

I figure that new bushing kit I got from you will go on easier while sitting on the front porch instead of me laying on my back with the fireants :laugh:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steering rack is mounted to crossmember but you have to loosen it from the column & with it attached to the crossmeber, you'll have to drop the member down & forward.

Steve_S

Yoda
kennypinkerton said:
Isn't the steering rack mounted to the crossmember?

Yes it is. Might I also suggest you disassemble the suspension while the cross member is still on the car? It makes removal of the beam almost a one-handed job, versus a 100-pound awkward lump. It also gives you more leverage to tweak on things, and makes coil spring removal far easier for those without a spring compressor.

Steve_S

Yoda
tony barnhill said:
Steering rack is mounted to crossmember but you have to loosen it from the column & with it attached to the crossmeber, you'll have to drop the member down & forward.
I typically unbolt the rack from the cross member, tie it up out of the way, and leave it there while I pull the cross member. Of course you have to pop the tie rods off of the steering arms but that's easier than disconnecting the steering column and it has to be done anyway.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree its easier to disassemble while on the car if you're gonna rebuild & put back under the car...however, I've never had any problems disassembling on the floor....& have never had a spring do anything except pop the spring pan down a little & fall out onto the floor (that's usually how I disassemble parts car front suspensions - some time after I drop the beam when I need a particular part off the beam.)

mgb4tim

Jedi Trainee
be careful. That's just what I did. I pulled out the front suspension to rebuild it.. then look what happened...

front3_4.jpg

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tim -

I'm curious, did you remove the unibody to make it easier to work on the suspension from the top? :jester: I'm about to pull my front suspension out, but if you think it's easier your way, I'll try it and let you know how it goes!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looks like he had a heck of a time finding the right bolts

Country flag
Now that's a SERIOUS case of getting attacked by the Might-As-Wells.....heck, you got attacked by a whole planet of them!!! :laugh: ROFL

OP
kennypinkerton
I have neither the money, nor the time. I'll just stick to the stuff I can afford. Although in a few years, the Alfa may look like that.

"your unibody fell off"

:lol:

Was probably trying to find out how to get to the bonnet hinges... "Hmmm, maybe if I take that off I can get to them..."

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
sorta like my little Midget that went down to tub just to change the clutch!