• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Racing TR4 on Chasing Classic Cars

SeaSix

Freshman Member
I don't know how many of you get the Velocity channel, and can watch Chasing Classic Cars. They showed a preview from next Tuesday nights show, and they are purchasing a 1962 TR4 that was a racing car. It's white with '44' in green.

You can see a portion of the episode here:
https://dsc.discovery.com/videos/car-guide-classics

Brett

V

vagt6

That's a real car guy's show. Wayne Carini seems to be the real deal, I'd love to drink a beer with him.

I'll try to catch that episode.

Thanks for the heads-up!

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
last week he bought a Porsche and when looking around in a friend of his collection you could see a couple of triumphs in the guys collection.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
It is fun to watch but like the internet, don't believe everything you see on TV. A long time friend of mine is in a similar business and sells some cars to Wayne. He was on one of the shows out west when Wayne was chasing "barn finds" Some of the cars he acquires have had several brokers in the middle and he's not exactly the first guy on the scene dragging the car out. At least one of the cars was dragged out, sent to a shop to have repairs done to get it running and then jammed back in the "barn" so that it could be dragged out again on TV. Wayne is in the business of buying/selling cars and if someone buys a car between the time they shoot sequences, they've got to do something to keep continuity so they will slide another car in and edit like mad to make it all look like it was the same car from beginning to end. Not taking anything away from Wayne but the show producers take some "creative license" to add spice to the show. Still, there's nothing else like it on TV.

I really enjoy watching "Wheeler Dealers" Poor Edd keeps getting saddled with some pile or another and ends up working his tail off so they can sell it for a 100 quid profit.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
cheseroo said:
I really enjoy watching "Wheeler Dealers" Poor Edd keeps getting saddled with some pile or another and ends up working his tail off so they can sell it for a 100 quid profit.

Speaking of "Wheeler Dealers" it looks like they are going to start broadcasting new episodes from Series 8 starting with a Jag E-Type.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
cheseroo said:

What Rich didn't say is that he is "our" Edd with the race car and the various TRs he is sorting out.

V

vagt6

I saw the E-type episode on "Wheeler Dealers" last night. Pretty good job. They paid 15,000 pounds ($23,700)for that example.

For sure, I'd like to live on the strange and wonderful planet where they live, in which you don't have to include the cost of labor in your profit! They include the cost of parts, but not labor! A mechanic like Ed must be worth at least $50 per hour, probably much more.

You can <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> make a profit on your used car sales without labor costs (especially on an E-type!). :yesnod:

"Reality" TV, ain't it great? :crazyeyes:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Here's a link to the ad for the car .

From that ad: <span style="font-style: italic">HISTORY: Raced since new by Chris Noyes,1962-64. Multiple SCCA National wins at Lime Rock, Bryar, Bridge-hampton, Marlbobough, and Cumberland. Purchased and raced by Nick Battles, 1965-66. Purchased by Bill Colom in 1988, restored by "Race & Restoration" Xenia, Ohio. Vintage raced since 1989 with great success (SVRA).</span> No mention of Group 44. Besides, if I remember my Group 44 history correctly, Bob's first TR4 was black, and it was made from a couple of wrecks (either initially or after a shunt). I probably should look it up, but I think the first TR4 Tullius got from S-T USA was Powder Blue?

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Note: None of the Group 44, 4cyl TRs survived. The last known car was their TR4A and that was wrecked at the Hershey Hillclimb in 1970.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recall seeing the TR4A at Watkins Glen in the summer of 1970. August I believe. It was an SCCA Race in conjunction with a Trans-Am or a Can-AM weekend. I believe it was owned then by a David Manners from Philadelphia. So was Hershey in the fall? And who owned it? Was it David Manners?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My neighbor had the same last name. Must be related as that is an usual name. They were from Pa.